Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2019, 04:01 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Thumbs down Cutting Hole for Fresh Water Hose

Bothers me to no end that fresh water & sewer share the same compartment; more, that the freshwater hose and the sewer hose share the same hole.

Anyone drill a hole through the plastic wall or floor of the compartment for a separate place for the fresh water hose?

If yes, how did you protect the hose from the sharp edge of the hole?
and
how do you plug it up for traveling?
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Yes, I drilled a 11/4" hole in the plastic floor and a hard copper line connects to the water inlet and exits underneath where a filter and splitter are hooked up to the water supply hose. I purchased a 5" square plastic fencepost 8 ft long and installed it across the underside rear of the coach with strap hangers..this is where my sewer hose goes and it works really well...I did not like the idea of the fresh water closet with the sewer hose coiled up inside..no matter how well I flushed it ..it always seemed to leave a smell..I just leave the hole open when travelling
Reniram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:17 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I had to make a hole for the same reason, to keep fresh away from sewer. Different rig but it should work for you. Parts generic, cheap at Lowes or HD. Just screw on the cap when in travel and open to pass your fresh hose through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0901.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	172036   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0902.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	172037  

Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:24 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

In case it is not obvious, the white PVC fittings are for the fresh hose. In that particular rig, '06View23H, it took more mods to handle the sewer fitting and provide secure entrance for the fresh. The PVC fittings are available almost anywhere plumbing "stuff" is sold and dirt cheap to fix a real problem easily. Don't even worry about drilling the hole, just fix it. The hole and fittings are worth the effort. I used quick connect fittings on hose and had a elbow quick connect on the coach side so just slide the hose through the fitting and connect. Just an idea that worked for us. The elbow is not in the photo when I took it but you can look directly above the white hole and see the fresh connect - the elbow made it a straight shot, no kinks, easy connect.

The extra Valterra valve on the dump line is to prevent the "drip" which happens no matter what when you close the original valves. So the extra valve is closed last, then when you take the cap off the sewer line to dump there is no "surprise" waiting for you.
Kayak73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 08:21 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

That's where we each have to loook things over for a bit to see what might work best for us. I have a knee problem that would make having to get down and under to connect the sewer drain a real pain for me. I like the current setup of my 2014 Vista as it allows me to stand and connect the sewer after passing it up through the standard opening which also allows me to pass the end of the fresh water hose up through the same opening.
The fact that both run alongside each other doesn't bother me as they both lay on the ground outside and that's as dirty as any place. I don't store the fresh water hose in that compartment but with the other things we use when setting up.
I have found it worthwhile to cap or screw the ends of the hose together when stored as it keeps bugs and debris out of the hose and I do like my drinking water clean!
One hint to new RV folks is to let the water run a few seconds at the tap before hooking to it with the hose as that may avoid pushing some old stagnant water into the RV if that particular faucet has not been used in a while. Some campgrounds will have rust or bad water setting there if you don't do a bit of flushing to clear it.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
Just Trying to Help

DCMac-

Our coach (not a Winnebago) came with a deck plate for the sewer hose and a cable hatch for a fresh water hose. I added a second cable hatch for a rinse hose. You use a hole saw to make the opening in a flat area of the wet bay floor.

Hatches come in different sizes. Below is a picture of one (here is the link to that product). It's easy to put the hose end through with the big "door" open, and the small opening with the "shutter" fits the hose (although you need to confirm this for the size of hose you use). etrailer carries an assortment of hatches (link here).

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 05:16 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Which Winnebago models do you own that do not have a separate access hole for the water hose? Curious ...
Old 08-11-2019, 06:46 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Well,
Our coach, an ‘04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP, also has the fresh water and sewer system in the same compartment. In the eight years and almost 90,000 miles we’ve put on it, we’ve not died yet due to that layout. Yes, both the hoses exit the same hole in the floor of the compartment.
There is a short, (about 8” high) partition in between the two sections but, the rest of the compartment is wide open. I myself don’t see any issues with that arrangement. As stated, we’re not dead yet.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Which Winnebago models do you own that do not have a separate access hole for the water hose? Curious ...
Mine is a ‘17 Vista. I’ve been planning to add a separate water line access door. The fact that they share a hole is gross.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:00 AM   #10
Texas Bush Pilot

I agree, having both in same compartment is stupid unhygenic.
Jefird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 05:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Just put a Wal-Mart bag over the end of your hose and push it thru the hole before you put the sewer hose in.
Old 08-12-2019, 07:06 AM   #12
Texas Bush Pilot

Mine’s an 05 Voyage. Best plumbing system I’ve seen in the industry is the Jayco Precept. Our first MH, a 94 Itasca, had plumbing on driver’s side, fresh water on pax side. Seemed much safer to me.

I’m glad Scott is still alive.
Jefird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFChap View Post
Vista 35F

To add to the issue, the TV hookups are in there too, right above the fresh water connection. Will be cutting a second hole for that.
DCMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 06:39 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Vista 35F.
Personally don’t hook up sewer line until “full” and then just use the open compartment door for sewer line! Agree though re the cable line through the “wet” hole is nonsense.

Long live Scott! (I don’t bother with wearing dump gloves...)

Tom
tsut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, water