Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-09-2019, 08:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Cracked Front Window...

2002 Winnebago Journey

Yesterday, had a guy do a wash and wax and it slipped my mind I should tell him to walk on cat's feet near the front of the RV, to hopefully prevent cracking the front window(s). Something I've always done in the past because of Winnebago RV's having an issue with rust in the frame holding the windows, I didn't want too much flexing up there.

Unfortunately, it happened, and now I have an almost top to bottom crack on the drivers side window.

So I've come for some advice for those that might have faced this issue before. I can drive somewhere to find a good shop, but where? I'm in Pahrump, NV; 55 miles West from LV. I intended to head for a RV park outside of Lake Havasu on the 20th of November so that's another area that might have glass repair.

Does anyone have any recommendation for a glass replacement company near here that does a good job? (This just happened yesterday afternoon and I tried to call one local place, but no answer). Park staff has no recommendation but thinks someone from LV comes over to do that kind of work.

I am thinking I could clear tape the crack and drive to Vegas, there's likely a shop there. Or I could wait, head for Quartzsite during the January gathering and find someone there to do the job.

Looking for repair recommendations in the desert southwest area. Looking for a shop that has experience with this issue in Winnies. I am open to driving somewhere in this vast region to find someone that would do a good job...

The main issue would be that the frame is likely rusted, because this rig had a leak in the front before I bought it. I got the leak stopped, but there's probably rust there in the frame. For those that don't know, Winnie's are well known for window frame rusting causing window cracks. The glass has to be removed and the rust cleaned out. Then the windows reinstalled. Sometimes it's so bad, the frame has to be rebuilt.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:26 PM   #2
Site Team

I have Progressive Insurance and they use Duncan Services for their replacement windshields. It took about a month to get everything together and the new window installed (about 1/2 of that was due to them getting the window to an installer.). They took care of getting everything including finding us an installer that was close (I think they were still 100 miles away but came to us)
Old 11-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I have Progressive Insurance and they use Duncan Services for their replacement windshields. It took about a month to get everything together and the new window installed (about 1/2 of that was due to them getting the window to an installer.). They took care of getting everything including finding us an installer that was close (I think they were still 100 miles away but came to us)
I also have Progressive...did they raise your rates at all? Most don't.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:00 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I also have Progressive...did they raise your rates at all? Most don't.
Did not, but we’re in FL where windows are covered (I think it’s a state mandate). I think grand total the cost was about $3K to them.
Old 11-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I discovered two things about the crack in the window, the worker dropped his rotary tool onto my window which caused the crack, and that company that does Winnebago window frame repairs and glass replacement hangs out in Quartzsite from November thru April. After I leave the Lk Havasu area, I'll head down there and have them do the work, probably. I can tell by peeling back the rubber seal that the metal frame is all rusted and one thing they do is grind the rust all off, reseal it with Por15 before resetting the glass. Hopefully they'll let me do some of the work to save some money plus it'll give me some info for an article.

For those that are unaware, Winnebagos have long had a problem with water leaks causing rusted front window frames ultimately costing thousands in repairs, even causing windows to crack, which is how most people found they have a problem. Some leaked bad enough that the entire metal framing down to the dash needed to be replaced. I was aware of that shortly after I bought this RV and knew I'd have to deal with it someday, but thanks to an incompetent worker busting my window a few days ago by dropping a tool on it, it'll be sooner rather than later.

There's one company that I know of that sets up shop down in Quartzsite every winter to do repairs, they'll even talk to your insurance company for you: Windshield Magic I'll check them out when I get down there.

Anyway, here's a link to the article I wrote about it shortly after I bought the Journey back in '16 while I was sealing up the front of the RV to try to stop the 3 leaks I had inside: Weather Proofing

Old 11-15-2019, 01:45 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

If the worker did it then the company should have to pay for it, just saying. I would push this issue with them for sure as it will cost some to do.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:08 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD Eagle View Post
If the worker did it then the company should have to pay for it, just saying. I would push this issue with them for sure as it will cost some to do.
It's not a company, it's a guy who works here at this RV park manning the gate. He just does this wash & wax on the side. Really doubt he has insurance, but if I can catch him, I'm going to ask.

BTW, he charges $140 for wash & wax. That's what I'd expect to pay in Mexico. In the US, I've been quoted as much as $540 by at-your-site professionals. So you can see why he seemed like a bargain. OK, choosing him turned out to be a mistake, but only because he accidentally dropped the tool. The job looked great when he finished.

Old 11-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

$140 is cheap, but......... As far as the window, unless he admits to it, you're on your own...
Old 11-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Jim,
I'd suggest you sell your coach if you aren't ready to repair it.
dickb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 05:51 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Sorry, that was just a funny reply
dick
Old 11-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Oh, and we are driving the same coach
Old 11-17-2019, 07:20 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Cool. Check out my RV repair blog just in case, and you can comment if you have any good ideas how to fix something...

My blog

Old 11-17-2019, 07:34 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

[QUOTE=Jim_HiTek;3850013]Cool. Check out my RV repair blog just in case, and you can comment if you have any good ideas how to fix something... Redesign the bumper with engineering concepts perhaps get an aftermarket custom made bumper with reinforced points to add a front bike carrier etc.

There is this belief that many women keep going back to their abusers again and again.
Looks like RV ownership makes one prone to returning for repeated abuse from the industry bigly. It is simply amazing what RV owners are putting up with, can you imagine if our Automobiles had similar policies wow. But if the customers are willing to lighten their pockets and take the abuse hey why change a thing? Then there is the idea that most of the manufacturers or as I call em nuts and bolts assemblers only support most rigs mindfully at most 10 yrs if at all! So obsolete quarter to half million dollar rig in a decade with about 40 to 80K miles avg. wow. Its a mad mad mad RV world. Depreciation that makes gravity look like a lift force too. Given the initial quality a few years old is probably as good eh... if the original problems were ever addressed properly that is (at 40 to 50 percent of the original out the door price).
Old 11-17-2019, 07:56 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

Myself, I never seemed to have the money making talent. Mad skills yes, but not when it came to making fistfuls of money. So, in order to afford the full time RV'ing lifestyle I wanted, I was forced to choose a used RV. And yes, it's expensive keeping these rolling earthquakes running and staying together. But, I enjoy it for the most part.

I don't think you can blame the manufacturer for all the ills of your typical RV...often it's lack of preventative maintenance. However, don't think it would help with the epoxy bracket holders. That's just dumb engineering in my mind.

Old 11-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Agree with you about not all maintenance issues are builders fault but faulty design or design without use case analysis is totally stupid.

I don't think you can blame the manufacturer for all the ills of your typical RV...often it's lack of preventative maintenance. However, don't think it would help with the epoxy bracket holders. That's just dumb engineering in my mind.

As an example, the RV industry knows most RVs sit unused for months, putting an efficient solar panel for trickle charging the batteries is well common sense unless they sit on their brains in the engineering departments. Many other things such as that.

Storage compartments which are not water proof totally unacceptable.

Lack of 3 point seat belts for all occupants totally unacceptable

etc etc etc
Old 11-17-2019, 09:53 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

Quote:
It's not a company, it's a guy who works here at this RV park manning the gate. He just does this wash & wax on the side. Really doubt he has insurance, but if I can catch him, I'm going to ask.

BTW, he charges $140 for wash & wax. That's what I'd expect to pay in Mexico. In the US, I've been quoted as much as $540 by at-your-site professionals. So you can see why he seemed like a bargain. OK, choosing him turned out to be a mistake, but only because he accidentally dropped the tool. The job looked great when he finished.

Not sure about NV but where I live anyone doing that type of work even on the side has to be a Sole Proprietorship Bonded and Insured plus carry their own Workman's Comp. You take on a big liability especially when having someone without the proper insurance and licensing working for you since then you are not in a Customer relationship with them being a Business but they are your employee or guest for whose safety and medical care you are responsible for should they become ill from the chemicals they are working with or get injured.

Even where its technically illegal for them to be taking on work without the proper license and insurance you are many/most times still held personally responsible for any injuries or damages that occur to them, yourself or others due to their activities.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:26 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
Not sure about NV but where I live anyone doing that type of work even on the side has to be a Sole Proprietorship Bonded and Insured plus carry their own Workman's Comp. You take on a big liability especially when having someone without the proper insurance and licensing working for you since then you are not in a Customer relationship with them being a Business but they are your employee or guest for whose safety and medical care you are responsible for should they become ill from the chemicals they are working with or get injured.

Even where its technically illegal for them to be taking on work without the proper license and insurance you are many/most times still held personally responsible for any injuries or damages that occur to them, yourself or others due to their activities.
I don't think that will be the case. He's a park employee who mans the gate. If he's cleaning rigs on the side at the park, it would be the parks responsibility if something happened. If he's doing it at his house it would be his responsibilty. Now if he goes to the customers residence it may be a different story that the court would have to work out....
Old 11-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #18
Winnebago Owner

I lost both windshields on our 2008 Sightseer returning from Alaska a couple of years ago. Nationwide covered it as I had the $25/year rider (saved me $3400)...lived in Sacramento area at the time. After calling around and having concerns with people not familiar with the windshield frame issue you reference, I called Guardian. 855-362-2784 They set up everything (they work with repair folks who know RV glass) and it was a breeze, even shipping "Winnebago" stamped OE glass within a week, or so. We did have a minor amount of corrosion which was removed and prepped/painted with POR15. It's amazing stuff (works well in the lower storage bays also! I'd check if Guardian is at Quartsite. Guardian also has a program through FMCA
Old 12-03-2019, 11:46 AM   #19
Winnebago Master

I thought that the crack was caused by the worker, but now I'm not so sure. He's adamant that he didn't come near it with a tool. I drove south and couldn't even tell it was there as it's just far enough out of line of sight that I have to crane my neck to see it under the right lighting via sun angle. I did go fuel up around the same time, and followed a gravel truck part of the way, and now I'm wondering if that's not where I picked up the 'ding' that caused the crack.

Well, whatever, not worth losing sleep over. I'll just get it fixed and forget about it.

Old 12-03-2019, 01:16 PM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Sounds like the best thing to do. Sometimes it's better to suck it up and just get it fixed instead of banging our heads against the wall trying to figure out what happened.. Life's too short...

Tags
window