Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Continental HSL on Vectra?

The 275/80 R22.5 Michelins on my 04 Vectra are cracking, so it's time for new shoes.

Camping World is asking $3,500+ for G670s and another $1K for Michelins. I called around and found a commercial tire dealer has Continental HSLs in that size for $2,500 installed.

Anyone have experience with Contis on their RV?
Old 06-23-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I've run Continentals and Generals in commercial fleet operations with good results. Tire maintenance and air pressure maintenance are critical with any tire, no matter what brand. Yes, RV designated tires have a compound which is supposed to combat sun and aging. I personally would have no qualms running any major brand truck tire of the proper size on my MH. If concerned about sun or aging, I'd use tire covers when parked for any appreciable period of time and a tire dressing on the exposed sidewalls.
US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I replaced my Micheline XZA2s (275/80R22.5 LRH) with Continental HSL Eco Plus in the same size and load range almost 2 years ago. These are great tires with performance equal to the Michelins and a lot cheaper.

There are a couple of others on this forum with Continentals and they have reported good results as well.

As far as weathering goes, we are able to run our coach every 2 weeks in the spring, summer, and fall and in the winter we use tire covers.

Here's a good article on tire weathering and how to combat it.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Rv+Tir...!-a01073951667

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 12:06 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I replaced my two front Michelin XZA2's with Continental HSLs 30 months & 20k miles ago when one Michelin went bad and I was unable to find a replacement. Mine are load range H. Last December I replaced the remaining 4 Michelins with HSLs. As I recall, the HSLs require apx 5 psi higher for the same weight rating as the XZA2s did. The Continentals have been great -- ride and handling are great -- no complaints whatsoever. We are fulltimers. We never park on concrete without using vapor barriers under the tires, and we always cover them when parked.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for the timely feedback!

I just got back from Redburn Tire in Mesa, AZ where they bolted on 6 Continental HSRs (switched from HSLs to HSRs when I got there) for $2,300. The Michelins were rated G and the Continentals provide an H load rating.

The manager at Redburn suggested 100 psi all round, but I'm thinking of 105 psi all around. Sound about right for a 40' Vectra?
Old 06-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Quote:
suggested 100 psi all round, but I'm thinking of 105 psi all around. Sound about right for a 40' Vectra?
I am not at all familiar with HSRs. Based on what I found online, they have a much more rugged tread than my HSLs. HSR = Heavy Duty Steer Regional. HSL = Heavy Duty Steer Long-haul -- apparently similar tires with much different tread.

But the right pressure depends on your axle weights and what the Continental pressure chart says for HSRs. You should be able to find it on their website.

Normally, based on weight, I have seen the fronts need a little more psi than the rears. My coach has a 12,000 front axle and 20,000 rear for 32,000 total. We are fulltimers, so carry a lot and are close to our max GVW. Based on our last weights with front axle apx 11,500 and rear just under 20,000 the chart calls for 105 in the front and 100 in the rear. I add 5psi to the chart values in case the DW has snuck more books in since our last weigh-in.
Old 06-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Here's the link to the Continental Truck Tire load tables.

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...les_pdf_en.pdf

It's a rather long url, so you might have to type it in manually if it doesn't connect.

Based on your axle weights, it looks like you could run 100psi in the rears, but would need 110psi in the fronts at max GAWR.

Your actually weight would let you change that of course....but I always run at the psi for my max GAWR. On my rig with the miles I put on it, it doesn't seem to make the ride any worse or the tires wear any quicker.

2017 Cedar Creek 38EL/2015 Silverado 3500HD
CC38EL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
Winnie-Wise

Wicked Whippets, how many miles did you have on your orginial tires? Also, thanks for the info on the Continentals. The tires on my '04 look good as we use the RV several times a month.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 01:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Camper

I had 50K miles on the Michelins. There was plenty of tread left, but if you looked carefully at the sidewalls you could see small cracks. From small cracks come big blowouts.

I bought the Vectra in Sept 08 with 35K on the odo, so I've been piling on the miles. We just back from Sacramento and will leave on Wednesday for two more Cali dog shows.

Living in the desert and having experienced a couple summertime blowouts (the most memorable was in a Crown Vic patrol car at about 90 mph on the Interstate), I don't want to tempt fate in a 30K-pound RV with six-year old tires. You can control the number of miles you drive, but it's really hard to control time and I understand this is the real killer of RV tires.

For my family I've decided when the tires hit 5 years (or there is evidence of sidewall cracking) it's time for new tires.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Wicked Whippets~ Sounds like you made the correct decision. I'll look at those Continentals when the time comes. Have safe summer travels.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote