Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2017, 04:45 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Considering a Vista 36Y / Sunstar 36Y

Hello All,

We are considering either a Vista 36Y / Sunstar 36Y. We are currently on a 5 month trip in a FR3 30DS with 2 months to go. Right now we are in Mercedes Texas and would like to tour one of these before we drive hundreds of miles or more to purchase one. So if anyone is in the area, we'd love to see your unit (if possible).

As well, we'd appreciative of any feedback from current owners as to what we might expect. We are familiar with the lighter Ford Chassis and hope the heavier unit has less sway. If things go as planned, we'd like to purchase / trade up to one of these units in the next few months.

Thanks for taking time to read this post.

Jim, Suzie and Marlee - (our Dog)
jamesdbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 05:23 PM   #2
JBP
Winnie-Wise

We are in Pharr Texas about 20 miles away. We don't have a 36Y but do have a 2016 369XL Georgetown on the 24000lb chassis. The Winnie as some advantages over the Georgetown,
Tried to buy the Sightseer 36Z. Both coaches were on same chassis and setting side by side. Same length same basic floor plan (bath 1/2) drop down bunk and residential Ref. But the best I could do is get them to within 20,000 of each other. I prefered the Winnie but the Wife took on look at the tile floor in the Georgetown and was sold.
We can take the Georgetown out and see what you think. We live down here full time so the coach is in the bull pin. Always looking for an excuse to take it out.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 11:00 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdbetts View Post
Hello All,

We are considering either a Vista 36Y / Sunstar 36Y. We are currently on a 5 month trip in a FR3 30DS with 2 months to go. Right now we are in Mercedes Texas and would like to tour one of these before we drive hundreds of miles or more to purchase one. So if anyone is in the area, we'd love to see your unit (if possible).

As well, we'd appreciative of any feedback from current owners as to what we might expect. We are familiar with the lighter Ford Chassis and hope the heavier unit has less sway. If things go as planned, we'd like to purchase / trade up to one of these units in the next few months.

I maybe missing something but I don't see a 36Y listed in Vista or Sunstar.
OK I found it, its a 2015 because for 2017 they don't list it.

Good luck finding one.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:26 AM   #4
Winnebago Camper

36Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
I maybe missing something but I don't see a 36Y listed in Vista or Sunstar.
OK I found it, its a 2015 because for 2017 they don't list it.

Good luck finding one.
Yes - they dropped it for 2017 - so I'll have to go used... Just really would like to see one. Then if it meets our expectations will go on the hint for a resale.

Thanks for replying
Old 03-04-2017, 12:31 AM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
We are in Pharr Texas about 20 miles away. We don't have a 36Y but do have a 2016 369XL Georgetown on the 24000lb chassis. The Winnie as some advantages over the Georgetown,
Tried to buy the Sightseer 36Z. Both coaches were on same chassis and setting side by side. Same length same basic floor plan (bath 1/2) drop down bunk and residential Ref. But the best I could do is get them to within 20,000 of each other. I prefered the Winnie but the Wife took on look at the tile floor in the Georgetown and was sold.
We can take the Georgetown out and see what you think. We live down here full time so the coach is in the bull pin. Always looking for an excuse to take it out.
Hi Guys, thanks for the reply. We did look at the 36Z in Mercedes, but found the kitchen too small... Wife loves to cook and we'd like a bigger kitchen and the big window overlooking the action side of the coach looks like a plus. Just like to see a 36Y before we drive all over to buy one. I see a few for sale on line - looks like we might have to take a drive to see one.

Thanks again... Enjoy your coach looks like a nice floor plan - if your not into a lot of cooking.

Jim and Suzie
Old 03-04-2017, 01:43 AM   #6
JBP
Winnie-Wise

Good luck always fun buying the next coach.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 02:06 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

We have one and love it. The layout is perfect for us. WE did sell the s ofa and install 2 recliners. That was our only "big" mod. After towing a trailer for 40 years this is our first MH and it is perfect for 2 people. Plenty of storage, cooking space etc.

We elected not to have the washer/dryer and had them take out the range/oven and put in drawers with a range. Dealer did this as part of sale price.

Have had no problems with anything at all on the Winnie. Great MH.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

James, we have a 2015 ITASCA 36Y with 3000 mi on it that we are considering selling to replace with a larger unit. DW is retiring in a few months and we will start traveling then and putting the miles on it. We're about 13 hours north of you in Rogers, AR if you get to the point you are ready to travel to see one.
Hope the picture comes out the right direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0751.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	358.1 KB
ID:	153935  
Old 03-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We have one and love it. The layout is perfect for us. WE did sell the s ofa and install 2 recliners. That was our only "big" mod. After towing a trailer for 40 years this is our first MH and it is perfect for 2 people. Plenty of storage, cooking space etc.

We elected not to have the washer/dryer and had them take out the range/oven and put in drawers with a range. Dealer did this as part of sale price.

Have had no problems with anything at all on the Winnie. Great MH.
Hi Sue and Tom,

Thanks for the response. Nice to know your thoughts on the unit and the mods. We have a Forest River 30DS and I love it, problem is DW needs more cooking space, better dinette and walk around king bed. We spent 3 1/2 months in it last year and 5 months this year. So we need to address these concerns before even more time traveling. Our home is for sale so will be spending more time on the road. Jim and Suzie
Old 03-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

After 40 years of a 5th wheel we are a bit mod hsppy. We spend 5-7 months a year in the MH with no problems. I am a quilter/xstitcher so my stuff is in the toad and i get 1 cabinet. If you or your wife have any questions just ask.

Sounds like your stars are aligning.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 03-05-2017, 10:09 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdbetts View Post
Hello All,

Dang we just Left Llano Grande in Mercedes a few days ago, been there a month and Have a 15 36Y. We also upgraded the sofa to a powered electric reclining sofa. We really like the unit got it tweaked out to fit us and have had a few bugs that we worked out of it. Did the Safety Plus stabilizer and the 5 star tune upgrades also, and it drives like a champ just like a car, love it. We are looking to upgrade to a larger DP (Newmar) and would consider selling ours. Too bad we missed you down there.

Texas Boomers and FMCA members
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:32 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

We do a lot of cross country driving each year and encounter crosswinds. We did the steering stabilizer but found the rear track bar was an instant success. Also did the 5 Star Tune, another great upgrade.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Old 03-05-2017, 01:15 PM   #13
Winnebago Owner

Name:	sofa recliner.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	153986

Name:	36ydestin.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	153987

Old 03-05-2017, 03:58 PM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
Dang we just Left Llano Grande in Mercedes a few days ago, been there a month and Have a 15 36Y. We also upgraded the sofa to a powered electric reclining sofa. We really like the unit got it tweaked out to fit us and have had a few bugs that we worked out of it. Did the Safety Plus stabilizer and the 5 star tune upgrades also, and it drives like a champ just like a car, love it. We are looking to upgrade to a larger DP (Newmar) and would consider selling ours. Too bad we missed you down there.
Wow, sorry we missed you. We'll be mucking around the south for another two months. No plans- except to stay warm. Then heading back home to Ontario the end of April. So depending on your schedule maybe we can hook up.

Be interesting in hearing more about your 36Y. You can reach me at [email protected]

Thanks for the reply.

Jim and Suzie
Old 03-05-2017, 08:17 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post

Hey Dkrobath, it must have really taken a lot of engineering to get that water tower added to your MH. I never thought of doing something like that. You must be able to go a long time between filling the potable water tanks.

Sorry I just couldn't resist.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:15 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Yea, It's great for dry camping and boondocking. But tough driving with overpasses, really got to go out of the way sometimes to avoid them.