Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #21
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
I would say that the rattle you are hearing is your roll-bar bushings are shot, and it's metal to metal. Look under the chassis, at the large U-shaped roll bar. On the ends of that bar, whereit attaches to the steel rods connecting it to the frame, there should be black plastic bushings. Total of 8, as there are 4 on eacb end of those round steel connecting rods. I just replaced mine 2 weeks ago, and told a friend about it. He checked and found the same problem. You can order them from Freightliner parts dept I Gaffney, for .81/ea.
got any pix of what you're describing? The only bushings I can think of are on the slide channels, probably worth about $.81, but I suspect are not going to be at all easy to change

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:48 AM   #22
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
got any pix of what you're describing? The only bushings I can think of are on the slide channels, probably worth about $.81, but I suspect are not going to be at all easy to change
Here is a thread where someone else posted pictures of the bushings. Mine are exactly the same. I would think your '05 is also like this, but you have to take a look. They might have made some changes.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/xc-an...gs-133694.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bushings.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	47022
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:05 AM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Ours is a 39F. The noise is right under the floor behind the driver and passenger seats. It's a rattle, so something from the slide makes sense. Maybe its me being a woman and not wanting to break down on the highway, is why I am concerned. Like I said, the tech thought it was the slide, not anything with the wheels. I know cars have an axle that goes from side to side. I guess I need to look at the manual and see how the front wheels are attached to the coach.
Y Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y Roadrunner View Post
Ours is a 39F. The noise is right under the floor behind the driver and passenger seats. It's a rattle, so something from the slide makes sense. Maybe its me being a woman and not wanting to break down on the highway, is why I am concerned. Like I said, the tech thought it was the slide, not anything with the wheels. I know cars have an axle that goes from side to side. I guess I need to look at the manual and see how the front wheels are attached to the coach.
You are describing exactly the rattle noise and location, that I had, and also a friend's unit had. In both cases, it was distinigrated roll-bar bushings allowing a loose metal to metal contact of the connecting rods to the roll bar and chassis frame. 6 of the 8 were completely gone. If you look at the picture in previous post, then take a look under your motorhome, and see if your bushings are worn out. I bet they are.
Indian River, De
Old 10-03-2013, 07:37 AM   #25
Winnebago Camper

Will do!! Hope that's all it is.....
Old 10-03-2013, 10:47 AM   #26
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Here is a thread where someone else posted pictures of the bushings. Mine are exactly the same. I would think your '05 is also like this, but you have to take a look. They might have made some changes.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f26/xc-an...gs-133694.html

Attachment 47022
CaptBill,
I was confused on your terminology on "Roll Bar" bushings. Then you show a picture of a "Sway bar" attached to the front end. If this is what you're referring to, there are sway bar "link" bushings and, the sway bar bushings themselves. Those are the ones the sway bar pivots on/in. The link bushings are the little round ones that sandwich the link to the frame and sway bar. Is/are those the parts you're referring to?
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:09 PM   #27
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
CaptBill,
I was confused on your terminology on "Roll Bar" bushings. Then you show a picture of a "Sway bar" attached to the front end. If this is what you're referring to, there are sway bar "link" bushings and, the sway bar bushings themselves. Those are the ones the sway bar pivots on/in. The link bushings are the little round ones that sandwich the link to the frame and sway bar. Is/are those the parts you're referring to?
Scott
Scott, sorry for the confusion. I referred to it as the roll bar because that is what the Freightliner tech called it, when I was speaking with him. But yes, it is the small donut size bushings on each end of the "link" that connects the sway bar to the frame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Roll Bar Bushings.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	47155

"Lower Bushings" label got cut off in the photo ^
Indian River, De
Old 10-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Scott, sorry for the confusion. I referred to it as the roll bar because that is what the Freightliner tech called it, when I was speaking with him. But yes, it is the small donut size bushings on each end of the "link" that connects the sway bar to the frame.

Attachment 47155

"Lower Bushings" label got cut off in the photo ^
CaptBill,
No biggie on the confusion part. We're all human here. Anyways, there are "kits" out there that are direct replacements in Urethane bushings for not only the link but, also the clamping/pivoting bushings that the sway bar are held on with. I've done it with many cars and, even on our previous coach, a '99 Fleetwood Bounder 34V with the F-53 chassis. The Urethane bushings still have some resiliency but, are seriously stronger than the rubber ones they're replacing. Just a thought.
Scott
Old 10-04-2013, 02:47 PM   #29
Winnebago Owner

Ours is a 2006 36G and when we picked it up brand new there was a loud metallic rattle that seemed like it was under the topper for the steps. Turned out the outside step had something loose. All has been fine ever since, at least with that problem!

Someone mentioned a utensil drawer. I use the small top drawer for silverware and knives. Silverware fits great into a smaller plastic utensil holder I found at Bed, Bath and Beyond. that sits right on top of the drawer Beneath that I have a smaller profile wooden knife holder. The top silverware holder slides back so I can access the knives. Both are perfect!

Towing a 2011 Honda CRV
Hardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #30
Winnie-Wise

Scott, the main bushings that secure the anti sway bar to the chassis, were in excellent condition... they showed no sign of wear or deterioration. So I only replaced the 8 small bushings on the link rods. The ones Freightliner sent me are the hard (urethane?) bushings, not rubber as I thought the would be. The job is done, the rattle is gone, and it handles as it should.

Thanks for your input, Scott.
Indian River, De
Old 10-05-2013, 05:49 PM   #31
Winnebago Master

How many miles are on your chassis?

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 10-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #32
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
How many miles are on your chassis?
Who is your question for?
Indian River, De
Old 10-06-2013, 02:18 AM   #33
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Who is your question for?
you..
I'm curious when I need to be looking at replacement

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 10-06-2013, 06:34 AM   #34
Winnie-Wise

Jeff, I have 52k on my mine, which is a 2002, so those bushings are over 11 years old, and probably closer to 12 from when Freightliner built the chassis.

I would suggest putting them on the list of things to inspect semi-annually. I think the original bushings were some sort of rubber, and may have contributed to why there were literally worn out in 50k miles or less. The replacement bushings (as supplied by Freightliner) were what appeared to be a urethane plastic material; hard but not brittle. I think they will last much longer.
Indian River, De
Old 10-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #35
Winnebago Camper

We just bought a 2005 with 48k on it.
Old 10-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Scott, the main bushings that secure the anti sway bar to the chassis, were in excellent condition... they showed no sign of wear or deterioration. So I only replaced the 8 small bushings on the link rods. The ones Freightliner sent me are the hard (urethane?) bushings, not rubber as I thought the would be. The job is done, the rattle is gone, and it handles as it should.

Thanks for your input, Scott.
CaptBill,
Well Sir, I didn't do much, just cleared some "terminology" up so we were all on the same page here. Glad to be of some assistance here. Our coach too is, 9 years old and has right at 51K on the clock. I guess I'll have to wiggle under it (again) and check those bushings out. Thanks for pointing them out. Good luck in your travels.
Scott