Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2019, 07:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

Coleman Mach heat pump issues...

I've pulled my heat pump out from under the rig and planned on replacing the pillow block bushings with bearings. I also planned on replacing the metal squirrel cage fan with the replacement plastic fan...but it turns out that I don't need to. My unit was making a rattling and squealing noise and I thought I needed both. So much rattling and squealing that I've had nearby campers complain.

Once I got it open, I found that my model 6535A was a bit different from the model Duner's excellent write up covers. Here's a picture of the main section:

Heat Pump...

The problem is that the U portion of the copper pipe is blocking the squirrel cage fan removal for servicing and fan change. Duner's unit didn't have a U pipe over the cage. After I got this far I discovered that the fan is fine, no need to replace it at this time, but I'd really like to replace those bushings with ball bearings.

I've already unscrewed the bushing assembly and tried to work it out but it is large enough to be blocked by the compressor assemblies. Then when I measured things I can't see any method of twisting the cage around to get enough room to remove it. Mainly I'm blocked by that copper pipe.

I'd hate to be blocked from changing out the bearings...anyone here know what I should do in this model to get the bearing out?

Thanks.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

I haven't yet pulled my noisy A/C unit but it's on my list. My 35U is also a 2002 so I hope I don't have the same issue.

Although it's not without risk, you may be able to carefully bend the pipe up far enough to remove the fan assembly. You might want to consult with an A/C repair shop about the feasibility of doing so. I'm sure this is something they have to deal with, possibly with heat to avoid hardening and cracking. I'd remove the insulation first so you can measure the size of the pipe itself.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

During testing, I discovered that my rattle and squeal went away when I oiled the bushings. So I suppose I can limp along for another few years. But also, I think I can take the clamshell bushing holder apart and then ease out the smaller bushing. Or maybe I'll need to unbolt the fan housing from the floor of the pump and lift it some...maybe that will give me enough room to pull off the bearing at least?

I haven't finished my blog write up yet, but this is what I've done so far: Heat Pump repairs...

Old 04-07-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

OK, there was just enough room to get the old bushing off and the new bearing on on the big fan. Then I moved to the smaller fan and it has a frozen 10-32 SS Phillips head screw holding the pillow block bushing, same 1/2" size bushing. After a bunch of drilling and other tries, finally the head fell off and I now find that the old bushing doesn't have enough room between the end of the shaft and the evaporator to allow it to come off. For sure the new bearing won't fit...so now have to figure out what to loosen or cut to get the old bushing off and the new bearing on the shaft without ruining something.

Oh, well. Nothing else to do today.

Just thought of something and ran out there and tired it...the fins on the evaporator can be squished almost 1/4"...doing that gave enough room to take off the old bushing and put on the new bearing. Yea! There was a fin comb inside the case when I opened it so I can straighten them out when I'm done too.

Old 07-02-2019, 07:08 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 2011 Winnebago Journey 40 U that has three ac units, two are working and the middle I am not sure about. The RV Comfort ZC thermostat only has two Zones I can control. When I went up on the roof the middle looks bigger than the one in the front and the rear. Is this a heat pump and if so any idea where the thermostat control would be? Baffled by this one.
360boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Oh, you got me there, boss.

A heat pump is just an air conditioner that is run backwards for heat. 3 A/Cs on the roof should be all the same size I would think. Maybe you have the type of A/C's that have heat tapes inside?

Maybe post a picture of your roof will get you some answers. My heat pump is a dual compressor 2-ton unit (24,000 BTU) that lives in a basement compartment. I'm not familiar with your setup.

Respectfully suggest you check your users guide. If you don't have the books that came with your Winnie, give Winnie a call with your VIN and they can tell you what to look for online. Winnie has an extensive library online for all their models.

Tags
heat, heat pump