Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2005, 05:56 AM   #1
Winnebago Master

Looks like we will be driving our new-to-us '02 Journey 36GDL from northern Illinois to Virginia end of next week. I will want to have enough water in fresh water tank while at dealer to check all systems before we take delivery and, of course, we will live in the rig for the 2 days it takes to get back to Va.

Should we drain the holding tank and have dealer blow out the water lines before we leave? Or, since we'll be mostly moving and stopping only one night and running furnace, will I be OK? I can make do 2 days on the road with no shower but wife is going to squeak.

thanks
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 05:56 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Looks like we will be driving our new-to-us '02 Journey 36GDL from northern Illinois to Virginia end of next week. I will want to have enough water in fresh water tank while at dealer to check all systems before we take delivery and, of course, we will live in the rig for the 2 days it takes to get back to Va.

Should we drain the holding tank and have dealer blow out the water lines before we leave? Or, since we'll be mostly moving and stopping only one night and running furnace, will I be OK? I can make do 2 days on the road with no shower but wife is going to squeak.

thanks
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Old 01-28-2005, 06:04 AM   #3

Please read back through the topics, recently we discussed this same question. If I were you, and I'm talking from experience, I would have it winterized and not de-winterized until I got to an area that was reporting temperatures no lower the 32 degrees ina 24 hour period. This may sound extreme, but it's safe and could save you a lot of problems.

Tomcat F15
"Be Safe and Not Sorry."
Old 01-28-2005, 11:38 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Please try to stay at the dealers as long as it takes to check out ALL the systems. By all means have it winterized before you start south.
Where in Va are you located? Good Miles and

PS. do the search. In another thread someone suggest RV antifreeze to flush the commode while winterized. Use just enough to get the job done...
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

We camped in our Journey over Thanksgiving where the temperature dropped to 10F over night and hovered in the low 20s during the day. We camped for 3 days keeping the heating on and had no problems either camping or travelling back over the Sierras.

I'd guess you'd be ok for the 2 days.

22ft TPD Trailer
Slowdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:44 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Last Feburary we were in Santa Fe for a week the lows were in the single digits and wind chill sub-zero and we had no problem in our Journey. Just kept the water and sewer hoses inside except to fill up or dump.
chzgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Ichn2go:

We live in eastern Bedford County on Smith Mountain Lake.....between Lynchburg and Roanoke.
Old 01-28-2005, 07:56 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

On our trip from Denver to soCal this month, we spent two nights in Raton, NM. The temp at 6am the 2nd morning was +4. The fresh water system had stopped working, even after everything thawed out. It will be checked out in a few days by a mobile mechanic. I suspect the pump may have been damaged by the deep freeze. I will report on the damage after it is repaired.
We had the temp in the coach at +72, but obviously there are vulnerable areas in the Journey that still can be damaged.

Lakewood, Colorado
SkipperT is offline   Reply With Quote