Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Clear coat / Fiberglass Cracks

Hi,

I've read some on the sub-par fiberglass causing cracks on the panels. I am looking at purchasing a 2006 Adventurer 38T and there are cracks pretty much all over. I'm thinking that it's from the environment - stored outside in the winter. I haven't been able to find pictures to confirm.
Should I keep looking? Is this issue cosmetic only?

Thanks for the input.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00765 (Personnalisé).JPG
Views:	142
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	169314

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00821.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	169315
Plan_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:22 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

P-B... I doubt it is a weather issue; they'd never be able to sell cars in Winnipeg or Buffalo. I have shot clearcoat on a number of things and watch a few auto painting forums ..like this for RVs, but have never seen your prospective issue.

One friendly one to newbies is the autobodystore ..com forum. (put it together - I am not sure our host appreciates external links)

Just thinking casually, it looks like a difficult repair because no topcoat will both fill the cracks and provide a new surface ...even a full vinyl wrap like you see on city buses would show the fissures - unless you did digital camouflage.

Then, if you got a discount equal to a re-shoot - what's to guarantee the next guy isn't going to get to ask for the same? Good luck.

Jim
Wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #3
Winnie-Wise

There should not be even one crack in that fiberglass. Our motorhome is stored outdoors all winter in Iowa no less. No cracks, no fading, no peeling, no nothing, looks like the day it was new. If I were you I'd run.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote