Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2018, 12:02 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Class A Storage compartment leaks

Hello All,
Driving a 38Q Suncruiser and ran into our first rainstorm. Checked my storage compartments afterwards and found water on both sides in varying amounts in lower compartments. Water evidence on the bottom. In some cases appears to have come from the doors/bottom gaskets. like water spray seaped under the door. Gaskets are in good shape and door closes against them with no gaps. Third compartment from driver door very wet, again on floor. I'm suspecting that the seams that connect the compartments which have no sealant on the flashing underneath may be the culprit. I do see some caulking on the inside against the felt at the seam. Has any Suncruiser/Adventurer owners had similar issues with the compartment seams or doors leaking? Any input would be most appreciated

Dave
DaveRB55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRB55 View Post
Hello All,
Driving a 38Q Suncruiser and ran into our first rainstorm. Checked my storage compartments afterwards and found water on both sides in varying amounts in lower compartments. Water evidence on the bottom. In some cases appears to have come from the doors/bottom gaskets. like water spray seaped under the door. Gaskets are in good shape and door closes against them with no gaps. Third compartment from driver door very wet, again on floor. I'm suspecting that the seams that connect the compartments which have no sealant on the flashing underneath may be the culprit. I do see some caulking on the inside against the felt at the seam. Has any Suncruiser/Adventurer owners had similar issues with the compartment seams or doors leaking? Any input would be most appreciated

Dave

Bummer, Dave. Have had issues like yours. One compartment was from a storage bin not allowing the door to seal. Flipped the lock handle down and the door could then seat. Another issue can be from the threaded bumpers being extended too far. Cause the same problem. I had one seal that was weakening at the top. I put a strip of backer rod, found in the weather stripping isle of Home Depot or Lowe's, behind the top of the seal. Seems to be working and cheaper than a new seal.
Old 07-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for replying and my apologies for not getting back. Horrible internet at recent campsites. I did use flexseal on the bottom of the compartments at ends where they mate up with a U channel. Have found that my fresh water drain tank is leaking and will need repair. Also checked all seals for proper adjustment. Most of those were ok.
Have not had a heavy rain since so haven't been able to see if my handiwork did anything. In the interim, had a heavy cottonwood limb fall and poked a hole in my roof! Managed to repair that. When it rains it pours!
DaveRB55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:59 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveRB55 View Post
Thank you for replying and my apologies for not getting back. Horrible internet at recent campsites. I did use flexseal on the bottom of the compartments at ends where they mate up with a U channel. Have found that my fresh water drain tank is leaking and will need repair. Also checked all seals for proper adjustment. Most of those were ok.
Have not had a heavy rain since so haven't been able to see if my handiwork did anything. In the interim, had a heavy cottonwood limb fall and poked a hole in my roof! Managed to repair that. When it rains it pours!

I hope you will let your insurance help you with the roof repair. Wouldn't the campground be responsible?

Leaks are hard to find. Many of us have them for many years but manage to move before we get into heavy rain that would reveal the problem. This was my case with the skylight in the shower. A screw had not been properly caulked from the factory. Took about 4 years for the damage to start to show. I was then in Washington state where rain is common. By the time I found the problem the ceiling Luan had started to separate. I still have to find a way to properly fix the ceiling.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:07 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Water in basement compartments

Had same problem of wet basement compartments on my Sightseer 33C after driving in rain storms. After drying out the compartments, I used a couple of tubes of clear RTV silicone sealant (caulk) and ran a continuous bead on all the inside seams - top, sides, bottom (after pulling back carpeting). Wet basement problem solved.
gwtriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, leak, leaks, storage