Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2008, 03:35 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

When driving over the border into canada is there a requirement for certain type of license if driving class A over 26000 lbs, or if you have air brakes? In NH there is no different license required for MH, so I only have reg. license. Thanks
Don G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:35 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

When driving over the border into canada is there a requirement for certain type of license if driving class A over 26000 lbs, or if you have air brakes? In NH there is no different license required for MH, so I only have reg. license. Thanks
Old 03-09-2008, 04:21 AM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Unless the laws there have changes recently, there is no requirement for a Class A CDL when operating a motorhome in Canada. I drove from Alaska to TN in August of 2006 and had no problems. There is however, a requirement to have a auxilary braking system on any toad that you're pulling behind your motorhome in many parts of Canada. Here's a helpful guide:

http://www.brakebuddy.com/Towing-Laws
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

I know that some (if not all) Provinces require a special license for >26,000 pounds and/or air brakes for their citizens.

The issue for us Americans driving in Canada is does Canada grant reciprocity for our issuing state's license?

In other words, our official residence is Florida which does not require any sort of special license to drive whatever you can afford in an RV regardless of its weight, length, or braking system. So the question would be does Canada grant reciprocity for us to legally operate our coach in Canada. I suspect yes as is the rule of law in the U.S. (on federal highways.)

Hopefully a friend from north of the border will enlighten us!

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

This website may help....

It would seem to be true that there are some restrictions, however most seem to be guided towards the trailer and not so much on the weight of the RV, with a couple of exceptions. I do know that when we passed through, coming into Canada and leaving out, the only thing they were concerned with was proper ID (Driver's license, Passport, Marriage license, ect..) The question of the weight of my RV or the vehicle I was towing behind was never brought up. Also, just a note for those that may not know, if you have a DUI conviction on your record at all, you will not be allowed to enter into Canada...again, unless that has changed.

http://www.rvda.ca/regulations.asp
Ron-in-Tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

Here's an answer from the US State Department:
"... U.S. driver's licenses are valid in Canada . Proof of auto insurance is required. U.S. auto insurance is accepted as long as an individual is a tourist in Canada . U.S. insurance firms will issue a Canadian insurance card, which should be obtained and carried prior to driving into Canada ..." excerpted from the information at this link: Canada specfic information

2005 Winnebago Vectra 36RD
cbeierl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:02 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the replies. Don