Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2018, 01:43 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Choosing 29VE, 31KE or 32BE

We are moving out of a Forest River Solera 24R (Sprinter based) to a Winnebago. The build quality is reportedly better at winnie...but it's mainly due to size and diesel serviceability and costs. I once had to drive straight through from Memphis to Albuquerque without turning the rig off, due to codes from the engine.

My wish is to have a rear bed that can be accessed without moving the slide, so the 27 doesn't work for us. I'd prefer smaller as our cottage, where I park the rig as a supplemental sleeping area is a bit narrow and hilly to get to. Are there issues with catching the bottom with these sized rigs?

I'm looking at the 31KE with most interest as it has a large counter, but my DW likes the 29VE for it's triangular kitchen workspace and the seating area close by. I'm concerned with the huge slide on the 29? Should I be? I've been lurking here for weeks reading as many posts about the Vista as possible.

Thanks in advance. As we're in Canada we don't have the vast selection and bargaining power of our friends to the south.
Backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:45 PM   #2

IMO Winnebago makes GREAT slides and with proper maintenance you will have no problems.
LarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

The 2014-2016 MY Vistas had LCI "Swintek" slide mechanisms that have had many problems, they just barely could handle a full wall slide even when new. Within a year or two they stopped being able to handle it unless the owner did extensive preventative maintenance such as keeping rollers clean and lubed, and keeping the slide mechanism rollers lubed. Not something the typical Winnebago owner does in the real world.

They changed starting with the 2017 MY to a different slide mechanism.

I have a 2015 Vista 27N, made in December 2014, with full wall slide using the Swintek mechanism the entire mechanism on both sides of the full wall slide was replaced in December 2017 under extended warranty coverage, at the Forest City IA Winnebago Factory Service Center. The gears and tracks had abnormal wear causing the slide to just barely operate and to be very noisy when operating.

If buying a new Vista with a full wall slide you should be OK I have seen almost zero threads reporting problems with the current mechanism, vs. dozens of threads (on IRV2) reporting problems with the Swintek. That said buying the recommended Winnebago slide lubricant and being shown where and how to properly apply it, and keeping the nylon rollers under the slides clean and lubed can prevent problems.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

My concern about the 29ve is not only does it have a very large slide, but nearly everything you bring into the coach is stored in that slide.
All but one of the kitchen cabinets are in the slide (as is the sink plumbing) and most clothing storage in the bedroom is also in the slide. So think of the amount of weight you'd be putting in that slide.

We were THIS close to buying a 29ve and those things worried me.
Ultimately though it was the very short couch that finally turned us away. Neither of us are tall people, but we both like to lounge on the couch and read a book - often at the same time. That couch just wouldn't do it for us.
Another negative, that we could have worked around, is the lack of a doorway between the bathroom and the living area. We like to have our window shades open as much as possible, but that means folks could be looking in while you going from shower to bedroom. Not a huge deal, and relatively easily fixed with a curtain of some sort, but it was a 'nag' for us.

We rule out the 31ke because of the lack of clothing storage in the bedroom, not NEAR enough storage for us. It also has the short couch. The main living area is great though.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #5

Interesting points, podivin.
Old 06-18-2018, 03:34 PM   #6
Winnie-Wise

We have a ‘17 31BE and have had no issues with the slides. I can’t say how many times we’ve put it in or out, but we’ve put 10k miles on in the past year and my guess is at least a hundred movements, total. I do what the book says and always level before putting it in or out, and I run the engine.

The queen bed can be used with the slide in but you won’t be hanging your feet out over the edge or getting into the closet very easily. The bunks can be crawled into and the bathroom is accessible. Depending on your age, weight and dexterity, there is always the overhead bed or even the dinette bed in a pinch.

It isn’t fancy but I really like ours.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We just got are 29ve home a couple of weeks ago. We really liked the floor plan and it just made more sense where the tv and seating is for just the two of us. It also had a lot more drawers and cabinets in it compared to a lot of other makes and models. As far as the slide goes we shale see. We could only find two left in western Canada.
MinnieKJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:07 PM   #8

So Minnie, get that new MH on the road! lol
Old 06-20-2018, 06:01 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Congrats Minnie, good choice!
Old 06-20-2018, 08:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Not many 31KE replies or threads?

There are very few 31KE threads. I'm not sure if it's because there are no problems with them, or because there were so few sold. It's a dealer choice only, so maybe they didn't sell well.

Any problems with mice intrusion into the rigs?

Eric
Old 06-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #11
Winnie-Wise

31KE

We owned a 2014 31KE and absolutely loved it. Many days we wish we had it back. Never had a problem that required it to go to the shop in 2 years. Nice size RV.

That year was the year of the Schwintek slide issues but we made out ok and never experienced a problem. With the 19.5 wheels it rode a bit rough and the engine noise could get a bit loud grinding through the mountains of Canada and the US, but we made it from GA to AK and back towing and did just fine.

We upgraded to a 38Q in 2016 and had lots of problems- but the 31 KE was a comfortable workhorse that was reliable for the 2 of us and the hounds.

The storage space was awesome and frankly we could store more on the 31KE than we can the 38Q. I even carried a mounted spare in the rear compartment and had tons of room to stow store stuff.

If I had the opportunity and was in the market I'd do a 31KE again. Sometimes I shed a tear when I get to thinking why I ever traded up!
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:45 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Smile Moving to Winnie due to quality?

I have owned 3 winnies. The present one is a 2016. I have never purchased a product with such defective workmanship and cheap materials. And I have never put so much money into a unit after the sale to keep it running and up to any standard of reliability.
My opinion is that at the beginning of the last recession all manufacturers were struggling to survive. Quality went out the window to include Winnie. Many larger firms bought market share by buying the competition out during the recession. At the present time or since 2017 the economy has improved and the retirees have increased allowing for a very solid market. Winnie is prospering at this time.
But quality as indicated in your post is still lacking and has a long way to go to improve to the level it once was. Fatten your wallet.
Moonie
moonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 10:25 AM   #13
Winnebago Watcher

My experience has been different. We are in our first Winnie, a 2014 Adventurer, and compared to our last experience with our 2014 Forest River Georgetown, Winnebago's quality of workmanship and materials is far superior. While not without issues, the Winnebago is far more solidly built and comfortable to drive. While our first extended (7-week) road trip is in progress, I am glad that we made one of our first destinations Forest City, Iowa. Enroute there, the full wall slide wouldn't retract completely and we discovered a crack in the bathroom skylight and subsequent water intrusion. Caulking provided a temporary fix to the latter, and all repairs were made at the factory. With no advance appointment we had to wait for a couple of days, but the service department was very accommodating. I would never be without an extended service warranty when owning a motor home, considering the cost of major repairs. Oh, and the entertainment center, which hadn't worked since we bought the pre-owned unit (despite being "repaired" by the selling dealer - Camping World) was re-wired correctly, since several connections had apparently been mis-wired at the dealership in their attempt to"fix it".
All things considered, for post-sale service and support from the manufacturer - which counts high in my book - Winnebago is the best.
Ret-LEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 07:52 PM   #14
Winnebago Watcher

Do the current models of the vista have automatic transfer switches for switching from pedestal to generator, or do you have to manually plug the Genny into the system? Any ground clearance issues on cottage roads? Has anyone else moved from a Sprinter based chassis to the vista? Any regrets?
Old 06-25-2018, 05:47 AM   #15
Winnie-Wise

My 31 KE

I don't recall if my transfer switch had the "auto start" feature on my 2104 31KE but I do know I never had to plug in to the generator when I needed power from it. The shore power line was hard wired into the switch.

I ran on a lot of rough roads with mine going to Alaska and back from Georgia (Alaska Highway and beyond!)including many miles of dirt roads. Rural Wyoming had some pretty rough sections also. Never had a ground clearance issue with the 19.5 inch wheels and that wheel base.

I did catch a few rocks on that run to Alaska which cost me a windshield (very pricey) on the 31 KE, and bought a tank full of very watered gasoline which made for some fun--- but none of that was Winnebago's fault.

Only one time did I ever have a road related glitch. The Alaska Highway has many dirt sections and it was dry and dusty in many areas. I was running the genny along one dirt section kicking up some clouds of heavy dust and managed to clog the air filter on the genny. Stopped and blew it out-- no more problems.

The 31 KE took a lickin but kept on tickin !!!
Old 06-25-2018, 07:09 AM   #16
Winnebago Watcher

And how much was the windshield? Just looking at the that mass of glass gives me shivers!
Old 06-25-2018, 01:29 PM   #17
Winnie-Wise

Our ‘17 BE does not have a transfer switch. I’ve thought about adding one but not sure it’s worth it.
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 01:58 PM   #18
Winnebago Master

Vistas have automatic transfer switches.
Shortest Vista is 4' longer than your Mercedes Chassis.
Inch or two more ground clearance than your Sprinter.
More rear overhang behind rear wheels - so have to be more aware of slope changes entering exiting sloped driveways.
More length = larger turning radius.
Increased height, have to be more aware of low hanging tree limbs.
Huge increases in cargo and passenger carrying capacity - higher basement storage, water, grey, black capacity.
You will see a huge decrease in fuel economy due to the larger size and larger capacity.
Gas powered - No DEF to mess with. Range about same due to 80 gallon fuel tank.

Service - Hundreds more dealers that service Ford RV chassis vs. those that service Mercedes RV chassis. Any Ford dealer that services large Ford trucks can service Vistas.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:02 AM   #19
Winnie-Wise

Had no deductible windshield coverage with our insurance policy , but the repair vendor told me the bill for the replacement was a good bit over $3000. The good news was the windshield was readily available. I was traveling through Wyoming, Montana, Alberta and BC headed north and they were working to get it to me as I moved along and to have the replacement meet me when I arrived in Anchorage,but the replacement was damaged in shipment. Seemed like too much hassle and time to wait for another replacement , so I just waited and had it done back in Georgia when we got home.

I never saw any impact on my insurance premium as a result

It was a surprisingly easy to access to change out, but it was very heavy and took about 5 stout guys to lift the new one into place

Flatter windshield on Class A's can be a bit of a "rock sponge" as flying debris/gravel doesn't glance off like an angled windshield on a class B/C , pickup, or car. The good news is that if you can seal up the hit site quickly and it's not too big they can be repaired easily for just a few bucks. Many class A owners carry a glass repair sealing kit. In our case we were hit 3 times in one day by passing trucks on a chip seal road in Wyoming. The first 2 could have been repaired easily, but three times a charm and the third one just kept growing. The crack finally stopped after it grew to about 1 foot in length and I sealed it up with duck tape.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:10 AM   #20
Winnie-Wise

One other point- while that big windshield on the 31KE is massive- the unobstructed views make it all worthwhile when traveling. Having a picture window to see all of the beauty of north America makes it all worth it!

We did an Alaska trip from Georgia in a truck camper in 2013 -the truck's windshield and the camper top limited views. Not so with the 31 KE. When we went to Alaska in 2014 in the 31 KE it was like sitting in your living room and absorbing awesome views from a picture window!