Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Checking/flushing brake fluid on Adventurer

I recently bought a 2000 Adventurer 35B on a Ford F53 chassis with 39,000 miles. I do not know the maintenance history of the MH so I am undertaking changing all fluids.

I am in the process of flushing/refilling the brake fluid and am in a quandary as the master cylinder has two fill caps and unfortunately I do not have a chassis manual. Should I flush as two separate systems and if so, how are they divided(front/rear - or left/right)? When I finish and "check" the brake fluid level, should I check the level under each of the two caps? (I cannot "look" into either of the caps as they are very high up under the hood.)

These questions sound simple, but I am at a loss. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

They are front/back. Yes, they are independent (so if one line ruptures, you still have front or back brakes). Yes, each reservoir should be filled to the proper level. Best of luck.

Tim
04Crescendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Hi bubbaricky,

You don't say if your chassis has a "tag" axle but if so there is likely a master cylinder for the tag axle brakes too. On my 1995 F53 chassis it is located under the coach between the main rear axle and the tag axle.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Hi Ho: You really can see the level if you use a little mirror. Otherwise you will probably spill brake fluid all over the place.

Just open the valve at each wheel as somebody presses the brake pedal and drain fluid until it is clear.

Good luck, Dirk
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

You should suck as much old fluid out of both master cylinder reservoirs as possible, will save time.
1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I just did my fluid and on my Adventurer I have the same set up. They are seperate but will fill from one cap if you fill until the wall between them is over come. I used a Motive power bleeder which came with ine fill cap and one rubber gasketed cap to prevent air from escaping out of the other cap. It is truly a one man job with the Motive bleeder. It took me about 45 minutes to an hour to do all four wheels. The advice above is correct that you should suck out as much as you can from each side of the res. I used an old turkey baster. Take an old towel, a piece of plastic to put on the ground, a bleeder clear hose that fits tightly on the bleed valve, a clear bottle and a box end wrench to fit the valve. Some of the bleeders will be easy to get to and some not so much but the hose must stay clamped on the valve to keep the fluid from getting on everything. If you have saftey glasses wear 'em 'cause this crap really burns if it gets into your peepers.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:50 PM   #7
Winnebago Watcher

I ordered and received a Motive bleeder as Inspectorudy mentioned. I thought I was smart ordering the Ford three tab lid version as my lids have three tabs (It was Motive's #0107). Well it came but it wasn't close to my size lids. Perhaps Inspectorudy would be kind enough to tell me the size/model I should have ordered. The idea sounded good and it had gotten good reviews on the forums.

By the way - the mirror is a good idea to check the fluid level in the master cylinder. I did not use one and really had a mess with overfilling the unit :-(

I thank everybody for all the helpful input! It is very much appreciated.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:36 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

I did the same thing you did and ordered the wrong cap. They sent the new one to me in two days for free. They have a site on their web page that shows each cap with a micrometer that fits the outer diameter of each cap so you can tell what size you need. I just kept the other cap for someone else to use. I am sorry for your troubles but you will not be disappointed with the bleeder.
inspectorudy is offline   Reply With Quote