Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2014, 07:55 PM   #41
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBTraveler View Post
Adding a power windup 50 amp power cord as soon as the weather warms up a little. I used it in our 5th wheel and took it with us when we traded. The power windup is handy, but the most important advantage is that the power cord is very flexible even in cold weather. It is a Glendenning CRR-50
It is so great to have likes and dislikes. We had a power real in our '05 Vectra. It was, to me, a hassle. The unit took up much room and the cord had to be fed in. On cold damp days is was a real pain to me. This '11 Meridian is free of the cord winder. It takes me less time to stow the cord and I have a big empty bay to use as extra utility product storage. But, each to their own.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #42
Winnebago Master

One thing I had added when I bought this coach is the Trav'ler SWM Directv antenna installed. It seems to be working great. Now as far as programing is concerned? That is another story.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #43
Winnebago Owner

This isn't a exactly a coach modification, but it is ummm… connected I just finished installing a 30amp RV outlet near the driveway. About 80 ft of 8/2 w/grd copper, single pole breaker, rainproof RV box w/outlet (Lowe's) and misc. fittings for about $125. Figured I don't really need 50amp since I'm only in the driveway for a few days or a week at most and not living in it.

PS - still interested in anyone's exterior lighting upgrades. Not just replacing the bulbs with LED, but improving the overall illumination.

cheers,
Joopy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	60942  
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:03 AM   #44
Winnebago Master

Nice job Joopy! About the exterior lighting upgrade. I am interested in doing the same. For some reason the Winnebago's I had and this one seem to lack exterior lighting. The porch light misses illuminating the patio and the docking lights only work when the slides are in, and then bot that well. A guy parked near me has a '06 Phaeton. The exterior lighting is great. Ge has fender skirt docking lights. This is what I am considering for my rig. And his patio light is one of those big round ones often found on 5th wheels. When it comes to drilling the slide walls I become a bit of a chicken, so that mod may not happen.

I'll be watching with you on this one.

Rick
Old 04-21-2014, 01:34 AM   #45
Winnebago Master

Changes you have made to your Meridian or Journey??

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...d/25902816.cfm

Since this post I added a DC-DC converter that feeds a dimmer located in the entertainment compartment. It's very bright, but because it's pure Amber, doesn't appear so. I have room for 4 more LEDs on the aluminum plate if I can figure out the heat sink.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:07 AM   #46
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Coming to a Campground near you..... It's

Since this post I added a DC-DC converter that feeds a dimmer located in the entertainment compartment. It's very bright, but because it's pure Amber, doesn't appear so. I have room for 4 more LEDs on the aluminum plate if I can figure out the heat sink.
I must confess. I am LED ignorant. DC-DC converter for a dimmer? Heat sink? Please educate me.

I know the puck LED's I have tried in my ceiling lights (recessed 20W halogen) have failed quickly. I suspect the lack of heat dissipation is the cause. The new ones I have ordered from M4-Products I hope will solve this problem because of their design. I think they are mounted in a heat sink. But, is not the aluminum plate enough for your application? And the dimmers M4 sells, would one of them do the job for you?

If you could post a picture that might help. Sounds like a fun, but challenging project.

Rick
Old 04-26-2014, 02:15 AM   #47
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
I must confess. I am LED ignorant. DC-DC converter for a dimmer? Heat sink? Please educate me.

I know the puck LED's I have tried in my ceiling lights (recessed 20W halogen) have failed quickly. I suspect the lack of heat dissipation is the cause. The new ones I have ordered from M4-Products I hope will solve this problem because of their design. I think they are mounted in a heat sink. But, is not the aluminum plate enough for your application? And the dimmers M4 sells, would one of them do the job for you?

If you could post a picture that might help. Sounds like a fun, but challenging project.

Rick

Take a look at the link. There's a few pix of it

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:45 AM   #48
Winnie-Wise

when we had our journey, all I did to improve the patio light area was mount a LED light strip to the frame between the two curb side wheels. I installed the light switch just inside the first compartment near the door. It added great lighting but was not directly on you. and the LEDs bulbs from M4 were great. I have replaced all the interior lights with their products.
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:15 PM   #49
Winnebago Watcher

2011 40U Meridian

Mods:

Changes all window valences (recovered all materials) - god awful original ones

Purchased household very nice wall mounted lights and pulled out all the incandescent parts and used LED light strips to replace the interior vertical wall lights

Replaced all ceiling lights with LEDs from Sailor sams (warm white)

Jefatech repeater wired through the roof and mounted on the air antenna so it cranks up with the antenna. Also added a weather station to the top of the 6 foot antenna

The awful MCD entry door pull up shade never retracts correctly, so I purchased a new custom pull down night shade from MCD for $90 that not only works every time, but also actually gives privacy (you can see in with the stock door one if you look from an angle)

Pull out trashcan under the sink

Magentic knife rack so we don;t have to take knives down when travelling

Slide out drawers for canned goods in pantry

Slide out racks for dishes and bungee retaining system for travel

Central vac system in rear closet with 40' hose

Water pressure regulator permanently installed

Purchased my own electric meter and mounted to a metal stake (for when at a friend's property or when I want a campground site for long term that doesn't have a meter)

Front mounted trailer hitch with motorcycle lift

Upgraded towing hitch to 1,000 lb tongue, 10,000 lb tow

Solar battery charger panels mounted to top of my trailer to keep all motorcycle batteries charged (always a problem keeping the trailer plugged in) - great mod

New faucets in both bathrooms, stock was awful looking and leaked

Front speakers to bedroom audio system

Got rid of the IR repeater system and went to RF remotes for Directv. Now it works from outside (when watching TV outside)

360 siphon vent caps (never any smell no matter the situation any more)

Yagi antenna and amp for hotspot amplification, cell phone signal boost kit

Extend a stay propane tank kit

Various storage contraptions

Removed a 4 inch trim piece that water drips down from the slide cover in the bedroom in the middle of the night and falls 8 feet to give me a chinese water torture treatment.

Added washer retrofit to slide locks - the would bind and not work.

Future list:

Bedroom ceiling fan... replace with one that actually pushes any air

Auto-retract electrical cord

More outdoor lighting

Big solar panels, enough to power everything but AC or heat

2 more coach batteries

Would like to switch out the cheap looking toggle switches but haven't found anything
_____
All in all, doesn't seem like we did much in 2 years even though I feel like it is always something. Maybe it is because of the repairs that didn't get done when I was still under warranty...

Terrible leak in basement while travelling only (turned out to be bad sealing that I finally found, not the dealer I paid to find it)

Bad leveling actuator that kept leaking down.

Broken rear jack clamp (bad factory design)

Leaking refrigerator, air mattress that leaks, blown sensors in dryer, seal replacement in washing machine, leaking room slide, quikee step that always jams, ... eh better stop now.

Everything is pretty good now though.... except that pesky dryer vent flap that when the wind is over 15 mph, goes smack smack smack all night long...
RossL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:19 PM   #50
Winnebago Master

Our Jacknife bed is mounted on our full wall slide, and extends about 9 inches over the edge.

Here is the platform I added to allow increased storage

Old 05-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #51
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
Our Jacknife bed is mounted on our full wall slide, and extends about 9 inches over the edge.

Here is the platform I added to allow increased storage

Good idea and simple to do, Dan! Our 2013 36M has a heating duct under the jackknife sofa discharging out the end of the sofa behind the passenger seat.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:42 AM   #52
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCVJeff View Post
Take a look at the link. There's a few pix of it
Sorry for the delay in responding. Missed your comment. I did look at the pictures. I see what was done but I don't see how it will help with this coach. I have no patio light on the slide. Itasca did a really bad patio lighting job on this rig.

A guy just pulled in with a new Redwood 5th wheel. Nice rig. The Carefree awning has a rope light in the spare awning track and the power lead follows the awning material to the sidewall. I have not taken a closer look yet. I did try a web hunt for this system but came up blank. Garbage in. Garbage out. I must have phrased my search wrong.

An update on the M4-Products Elite natural or daylight LED's. I put 18 puck lights in the ceiling lights. We are so pleased with the results. And the segments are stable, not flickering, as some other manufactures I have tried have. Samsung comes through again.

Rick
Old 06-01-2014, 06:25 PM   #53
Winnebago Master

I have installed two upgrades. I got a LED strip with the 44 button control from Amazon.com and put it under my patio awning. I mounted the control box on the wall in the left hand speaker cabinet over the couch and drilled
Old 06-01-2014, 07:59 PM   #54
Winnebago Camper

Would like to info and instructions on:
Remote control locks for all the compartment doors
LED Light inside plastic door handle at entrance
Thanks
LSmith
2015 Journey
LSMITH2509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 07:03 AM   #55
Winnebago Master

I have installed two upgrades. I got a LED strip with the 44 button control from Amazon.com and put it under my patio awning. I mounted the control box on the wall in the left hand speaker cabinet over the couch and drilled (got knocked off the internet. Sorry folks) a small slit for the power and IR wires. The speaker come out with a little prying with a screwdriver or anything flat and blunt. Four clips hold it in place. I took power from a reading lamp. I hope these pictures help. I'll update you on the other mod later. Time for DW's morning coffee.

I'll try to get some better pictures too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WP_20140602_001[1].jpg
Views:	291
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	64398   Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20140602_002[1].jpg
Views:	264
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	64399  

Old 06-02-2014, 05:49 PM   #56
Winnebago Master

This is a followup to my last post.

I used bell wire to bring voltage to the controller. I bought the wrong plug at Radio Shack. It works but is too long. The 1/4" short barrel will do. I plugged the inside of the wire hole in the wall with 3/8" backer rod.
In the following pictures I show the control box and wires unplugged and plugged with the backer rod. I also have 2 pictures of this product. The hardware department of Lowe's or HD has it. Good to use as a caulking backer in any application where a gap is deep.

We love the lights. Another thread gave me the idea. There is no doubt that one can read by this light.

I'll do another post on the BlueOx TrueCenter install.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	light.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	142.4 KB
ID:	64450   Click image for larger version

Name:	wired.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	64451  

Name:	IR & wires.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	323.4 KB
ID:	64452   Click image for larger version

Name:	backer rod 1.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	64453  

Name:	backer rod.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	64454   Click image for larger version

Name:	hole open.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	123.4 KB
ID:	64455  

Name:	hole pluged.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	64456  
Old 06-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #57
Winnebago Camper

Changes you have made to your Meridian or Journey??

2012 Itasca Meridian 34Y
All LED in and out.
3-135 Watt Solar Panels
Zamp Controller
Switched out the little inverter that really could not do much and converter to a Xantrex #2012 SW Pure Sine Wave Inverter/Charger
All interior plugs now work w/ Solar and Inverter
Gutter Extenders
Poop Tube Storage under coach
And with the gigantic list of Winnebago new Warranty items way to much to list
4 trojan t105 6 volt batteries w/Pro Fill Watering system
mackspot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #58
Winnie-Wise

Machkspot1,
Great list. How did you mount the solar panels??
Which gutter extenders did you use?
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 05:11 PM   #59
Winnebago Camper

dengraham
answered on my iphone so not sure you got your question answered. Let me know if not I can re do it. mackspot1
mackspot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:49 PM   #60
Winnie-Wise

Mackspot1,
I didn't receive a response?? I don't think a response via iphone will post to this site?? You can send to [email protected] if it is easier.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey