Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #21
Winnie-Wise

nsdienes,
I did not know about a 2 degree increment from the first and second compressor??? I thought it was just a time delay to avoid pulling too many amps at the same time?? On my Vectra it was like a 30 second delay; or it seemed like it. Anyway, it makes sense but 20 minutes seems like a long time.
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 09:44 PM   #22
Winnie-Wise

djc454,
The coax routing was from behind the cabinet at the ceiling next to the driver's side down the left window column. You simply remove the back panel in the cabinet and drill two holes to install the antenna and then run the coax from the floor, up the left column to behind the cabinet. I used the firestik side mount.
Firestik LG3M2-B 3 ft. SIDE MOUNT ANT with NGP KIT
dengraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 10:00 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dengraham View Post
djc454,
The coax routing was from behind the cabinet at the ceiling next to the driver's side down the left window column. You simply remove the back panel in the cabinet and drill two holes to install the antenna and then run the coax from the floor, up the left column to behind the cabinet. I used the firestik side mount.
Firestik LG3M2-B 3 ft. SIDE MOUNT ANT with NGP KIT

Thanks Dennis, I'm always just a little nervous making the first hole in anything new, after that it's all easy. Getting ready to do an Arizona, New York, Texas, Arizona shake down trip, then to visit family and friends in Alaska for the summer. I'm thinking having a CB again after all these years without would be a good thing. I also have the Firestik side mount and have just been putting off drilling the holes. LOL.
djc454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:31 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

In no particular order:
  • Replaced the Winegard As-2003 with Travler
  • Added Solar, now up to 1/2kw
  • Added Wingman
  • Added 8db WiFi antenna on the mast
  • Added External MiFi antenna on the roof
  • Added A-B L-Band Swx into the DSS: Roof & External
  • Added Maxx-Air covers on all vents
  • Replaced the Fantastic Vent control with wireless remote.
  • Added Winegard SensarPro
  • Replaced the Sony24" with 32" LCD
  • Replaced the rear TV with 24" LCD
  • Added HDMI Distribution
  • Added 6ea. 12V Cig outlets around the dash for all the toys.
  • Removed the fridge and wrapped the cabinet in 1/2" foil backed firewall insulation
  • Added 2ea fans to the top exhaust on auto thermostats
  • Added fan to the internal fridge
  • Added CAT heater
  • Added AFFF Auto-Extinguisher to the engine compartment
  • Added TWO Halon Auto-Extinguishers to the fridge: one up, one down
  • Added Handheld Halon in Kitchen
  • Added small AFFF's elsewhere
  • Added Oxygenics Shower Head
  • Added power swx to the FRS Radio Charger
  • Added LEDZILLA area light(see post elsewhere) to the patio. Yes it has a dimmer..
  • Replaced the street side area light with an IR LED fixture
  • Added permanent mount SurgeGuard w/ remote
  • Added Macerator Pump
  • Replaced all incandescent lamps in the coach and cargo bays with LED, including the microwave light.
  • Replaced the Kitchen Florescent with 2ea T8 LED lamps and added Hi-Low Swx
  • Added Bedroom safe
  • Replaced front Shocks with Koni FSD
  • Replaced the Dimensions with a Magnum 2012 and rewired the entire high current 12V distribution with 4/0
  • Replaced the GP31 batteries with 4ea T-145 Trojans
  • Added Pro-Fill Watering system
  • Added See-Level Tank Monitors
  • Added Toad-Charge
  • Replaced SureFlo water pump.. TWICE
  • Added Extend-A-Stay to the LP
Running out of projects. Must be about time to sell....

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 06:28 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Jeff, that's an extensive list of upgrades, and it reminded me of some I had forgotten that I did. I am interested in knowing more about your solar panel upgrade, and how satisfied you have been with the T-8 LED lamps, and others inside the coach.

Do you have a thread, blog, or website of your upgrades? That would be very helpful to anyone looking to do similar work. A parts list would be really great.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 10:42 AM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Dennis: You are correct about the balance and IFS on the 2012. Still, the Road Force Balancer works wonders.

After a four (six) corner weighing, I can only keep about 10 - 15 gallons of water while going down the road, which allows ice maker and pump operation. And the coach is unusually heavy on the left (drivers) side rear.

SCVJEFF: Last year while DW was at Cedars-Sinai you recommended the Ventura Travel Park and gave me good information about when to drive the dreaded 405. Thank you.

Kerry Yes to WIT
two-niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
I have a similar list, with the below already done on my 07 Journey (owned it since new):

1) Firestick Antenna
2) Winegard Trav'ler converted from DirecTV to Dish
3) New 32" LCD TV in front and 19" LCD TV in BR
4) LED lighting inside
5) SMI AFO on Toad
6) Koni Shocks, MCU's, SS Bell Crank
7) Central Vac
8) HDMI Cable run from front matrix switch to rear BR TV

Maintenance Improvements
1) Change rear trans-axle to Synthetic
2) NOW running 10W-30 semi-synthetic in Engine (CAT C7)
3) Rust abatement issues under wheel wells, around compartment doors, and rear of coach

On my to-do list:

1) New tires
2) New tires
3) (you get it....)
After reading everyone's posts above, here are some things I have already done but forgot to list.

- Added Onan EC-30 Auto Gen Start to keep the pooch cool in the event of a power failure. This was the biggest improvement project.
- Added Winegard Wingman and Winegard Sensar Pro
- Added auto-Halon fire extinguisher in refrigerator compartment.
- Fixed my rusty CAT oil pan.

I think SCJeff wins! Nice job Jeff.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #28
Winnebago Master

Did the door handle light but would love to see the details on the compartment locks. I just finished installing a Blue Ox TrueCenter unit today. Won't know how effective it is for several week yet. We are not scheduled to move to our new location for some time. DW would have a fit if I wanted to pack up for a 'test drive'.

I built a platform step next to the bed. Easier to get in and out now and I can store shoes under it. I removed the shelf in the cabinet over the windshield, next to the door. My Windgard control box is there and now I can store the Itasca bag in the same place.

I added a bungee to the refrigerator doors. Hit a bad bump and the fridge emptied!

Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Thanks for all of the great ideas. Hope the coach treats you well.

Rick
Old 04-13-2014, 08:49 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptBill View Post
Jeff, that's an extensive list of upgrades, and it reminded me of some I had forgotten that I did. I am interested in knowing more about your solar panel upgrade, and how satisfied you have been with the T-8 LED lamps, and others inside the coach.

Do you have a thread, blog, or website of your upgrades? That would be very helpful to anyone looking to do similar work. A parts list would be really great.

I spent several years doing that conversion only because I simply didn't like the color temp and performance, and general design characteristics of LED's until basically this year. The T-8's are the Starlight lamps, and I just happened by the electronics surplus store and found an exact replacement on-off-on switch. So that and a diode gave me a nice light who's color temp is identical to what was removed. The microwave light took a LOT of searching to find what I was looking for, but ended up with a beautiful 4000k light that makes food color really pop.

Oh yeah-- 2ea residential table lamps with 12v WW CFL that exactly mimic incandescent. One easily lights up the area for a TV and local reading light

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 04-13-2014, 10:02 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

I just finished installing a swivel TV mount for the outside TV on our 2013 36M. The inspiration and install detail must be credited to Jesse who started a thread titled "2013 TOUR TIPS". Once I had all the materials the install only took less than an hour and it works great. If you want additional excellent detail check out Jesse's "2013 TOUR TIPS" thread starting with post #30.

I'm looking for ideas to improve the outdoor lighting. I installed a remote controlled dimmable LED adhesive light strip on our previous Journey that blended in nicely, but I'm not sure that's the best choice for this coach. Totally open for suggestion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	60574  
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:16 AM   #31
Winnebago Watcher

I have a 40U Itasca Meridian. What are SMI brakes? And have you already had to change out the electrical transfer box?
callie57702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #32
Winnie-Wise

1) Removed the slide out hunker of analog tv in bedroom and use the door to mount a flat tv on and gained a huge cabinet for storage
2)added 110V outlet in electrical bay(there was no external power on the street side)
3)added a 110V outlet on drivers side below the dash
4)added two more outlets in curbside bays and one in dining area and bath.
5)installed interior cabinet lites that come on when the doors are opened
6)Changed the tranny over to Transynd
7)Installed blue led rope lights under the right side bays from wheel to wheel(can you tell I'm bored?)
8)Added hinges to the a/c filter access door for ease of opening/closing.
9)Added hinges to the interior elec panel at foot of bed instead of those push in latches that are hard to line up
10)Installed LED interior lights in most fixtures
11)Removed carpet at top of stairs over to drivers seat and installed Allure planks
12)Installed an exterior light on curb side back by bedroom. When the kitchen slide is out the standard door exterior light gets blocked.
More to come as I sit around and dream up things.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by callie57702 View Post
I have a 40U Itasca Meridian. What are SMI brakes? And have you already had to change out the electrical transfer box?
Callie,

SMI is a brand name for a company that makes popular toad brake systems for both gas and diesel coaches. I've used both types.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 04-14-2014, 10:35 PM   #34
Winnebago Owner

Does anyone else find the screen material in the entry door annoying when traveling? My wife doesn't care for it because it "dulls" the view of the countryside, and I don't like it because it darkens the view when looking to the right for traffic, etc. Our previous Journey had an aftermarket solution that allowed for the screen to retract. This 36M door is made differently.

Today, after removing the factory screening, I built a prototype screen frame that will fit into the screen door frame recess. The only problem is the upper hinge protrudes so I had to modify a section of the frame which involved notching and riveting an aluminum offset at the hinge. I'm not yet sure if this is going to be the final design. Next step is to figure out how to hold it in place in a quick and easy manner. I'm leaning towards rare earth magnets.

I'll post pics when I finish. Right now, the coach is back in the Bat Cave for a week or so.

cheers,
Joopy
Old 04-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #35
Winnebago Master

Doesn't bother me at all, but for $20 you can get one of those As Seen on TV screens that have the magnets down the center, and attaches with Velcro along the edges. Don't like it? Yank hard..

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 04-15-2014, 05:52 PM   #36
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post

I added a bungee to the refrigerator doors. Hit a bad bump and the fridge emptied!
Rick
This is the lock I use on the Maytag double doors:

Here is the drawing:

One of our Vegas Rollers, Dennis, made these and gave them out to those with the Maytag.

I'm not sure of the material, but it is plastic, similar to a smooth cutting board. I believe the first ones he made were wood.

When I was at 3t's in Lake Havasu City, AZ in Jan, they had several on their shelf, but not sure what they cost.

Just slip them over the bottom of the handles.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:36 PM   #37
Winnebago Master

That looks like something whipped up on a 3D printer

Jeff - WA6EQU
Old 04-16-2014, 07:02 AM   #38
Winnebago Master

That door handle secure is interesting but the bungee is working fine and is easy to store. Thanks for the suggestion in any case.

I agree with the screen in the door. I find it a distraction though DW is not concerned. She is not the driver. I plan on going to HD or Lowes and getting some screen parts.

I am now talking from an idea without feet, so this may be wrong as I sit typing. My idea is to build the screen frame to fit inside the track of the old screen. I thing there are "toggle" type fasteners in the fastener drawer section of Hardware. I have seen small plastic types that I think will do the trick.

Proof of my idea will be in the finding of all I am imagining and making it work. The hinge area mentioned by the other poster is a concern. Pictures to follow when I get to the project.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #39
Winnebago Camper

Our 42e is less than a year old so my list is pretty short: 2 - 360 siphon sewer vents, extend/tilt/swivel tv mount for exterior tv, rain gutter spout over drivers side window, installed rear ladder, winegard trav'ler, magneshades and brakemaster. A couple of other items that make full timing easier were cordless headphones and a dometic freezer for the basement.
Brent
RvWarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 08:52 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

Adding a power windup 50 amp power cord as soon as the weather warms up a little. I used it in our 5th wheel and took it with us when we traded. The power windup is handy, but the most important advantage is that the power cord is very flexible even in cold weather. It is a Glendenning CRR-50
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journey