Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-25-2008, 05:52 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone every taken the rug out and changed it with ceramic tile, the rug is getting to the point where I can't keep it clean. Just wondering if the tile was installed how it hold up with with movement. Going down the road, leveling out etc. Any information would greatly be appreciated. Ron

Celebration Florida
Ron and Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 05:52 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Has anyone every taken the rug out and changed it with ceramic tile, the rug is getting to the point where I can't keep it clean. Just wondering if the tile was installed how it hold up with with movement. Going down the road, leveling out etc. Any information would greatly be appreciated. Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 03-25-2008, 07:47 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

My Ultimate has ceramic tile through the galley and bathroom areas. I've seen a few others that have it at the entry way. We have two tiles with hariline cracks, both having been cut to allow for a furnace floor vent. I've seen other rigs with some cracks, but for the most part it seems to work very well. Of course, it does all depend on how much the coach flexes. I think your Journey would be ok with it -- you don't have ceramic now in the galley/bath areas?

HOWEVER, you need to think about weight before you add ceramic tile. Don't forget that it WILL reduce your CCC, so you need to know what your CCC is now, and exactly how much the tile you add will weigh.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:16 PM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Ron & Patti, this does not answer your tile request, but for our Journey we had the rug professionally cleaned and then purchased a bound carpet runner that runs from the back of the pilot chairs to the one panel bulkhead. It can be rolled up and taken outside and cleaned and it's color doesn't show dirt.

We had it sized so the width works with the slide so when it is in we can walk right across the runner. We also purchased what I call a "Lazy Days" carpet which fits on the stairs and underneath the captain chairs. It is a rough out doors type carpet that can take serious abuse.

Tile would be a better solution and in the new models we see more and more units with full tile. But from what I have read on this forum and others retrofitting tile is tricky because the slide uses the carpet as it slides in and out. Hopefully somebody with more tile knowledge will provide you some input.

'10 Phaeton 36 QSH-
SteveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 03:23 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Patti, the new Journey's are shipped with vinyl tiles installed. JimandSue60 installed the vinyl tiles in their prior Journey, extending what came from the factory. You might search on their posts, as I remember Jim posted pics of the install.

These tiles are not the 'peel and stick' version, they have some thickness to them, but the grout lines are part of the vinyl tile. These will most doubtedly hold up better than ceramic, are lighter, and won't crack, including the grout lines.

You could call Winnie and get the brand of what they've been installing in recent years. Mine's a 2007 and has the vinyl tiles in the galley and bath area. They look very nice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
Winnebago Master

This also doesn't answer the question, but I found carpet runner at Home Depot that color matches the interior at Home Depot. It comes on a roll so you can have ant length you need. They also sell a pack of "ends" that are the sewen rolls (for lack of a better description) that exactly match what the mill stitched into the carpet long edge. These "ends" have some super sticky, that all you do is line it up and press hard. Looks great. I also bought an office chair mat that I custom cut under the drivers area. In other words there is no high traffic area not covered, and allot less expensive.

Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
SCVJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:20 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ron and Patti:
Has anyone every taken the rug out and changed it with ceramic tile, the rug is getting to the point where I can't keep it clean. Just wondering if the tile was installed how it hold up with with movement. Going down the road, leveling out etc. Any information would greatly be appreciated. Ron </div></BLOCKQUOTE>When our coach was fairly new, we had two or three tiles crack. Winnie factory service replaced them and there have been no problems since. We even had them add more tile while they were replacing the cracked ones and those have done well also.

My brother-in-law's 2007 Dutch Star has full tile - every time I see his coach, I am envious.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:51 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Here are a bunch of tile replacement threads.

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:52 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

Here are several tile and carpet threads.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 03-28-2008, 03:44 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks to everyone for the information. We got a runner from Home depot it helps a little. I think we are going to go with the vinyl tiles do to the weigh. Thanks Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 03-28-2008, 06:07 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Our Webpage
Old 03-29-2008, 06:24 AM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Jim and Sue Thankyou for all the information and the pictures and your post on how you installed the vinyl tile. It was very helpful this is what we going to do. Your lay out is the same as are motorhome and your pictures with the tile floor even makes it look more roomy. We are going to start looking for tile the part number you used is no longer in stock so we are looking to find something close to what you installed. Ron

Celebration Florida
Old 03-29-2008, 08:20 AM   #13
Winnebago Master

You are welcome, did you look here for the tile?

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 03-29-2008, 08:38 AM   #14
Winnebago Owner

Hi - Go to www.nafco.com and you can find tiles that are used in Winne's coaches. They can be purchased from your local flooring dealers that are Nafco representatives.

You can match original tiles in your motorhome.

Been there, done that.

Carle McFarland, 2004 Journey 36G
Carle is offline   Reply With Quote