Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2018, 04:24 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Cant stop the wobble...

Hi Everyone, I have a 94 Vectra 32' with hydraulic jacks, I am on a dirt lot with large gravel topping it. I have put down 2x12's under my jacks.

I lower the jacks, level the unit, but I am still getting a lot of wobble..
What am I doing wrong here??
Rmoe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:54 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Weird. Air in the hydraulic lines maybe? Have you retracted the jacks and checked the ATF level?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:28 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

i mean the inside of the motorhome is wobbly... the jacks are firmly planted on blocks on the ground...
Rmoe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 10:53 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

Loose bolts or broken welds where the jacks are attached to the frame?
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:27 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

It kind of depends on what you mean by 'wobbly'.

Having the jacks down doesn't make the motorhome rock solid, it will still move around as people walk around in side it. Think of them as leveling jacks, as opposed to stabilizer jacks. Much of the weight of the MH is still resting on the suspension, and therefore it's going to move around some as weight inside shifts.

I suppose if you raised all four wheels off the ground so that it was ONLY being supported by the jacks it would stop wobbling, but that sounds like a very bad idea - so don't do that.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I have noticed a difference since I had snap jack pads put on. It does help with wobbles!
kwajkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 05:52 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

I have pressure treated 3/4" plywood that I put down first, then I have 4x4's that I pair up and usually get 2 high of the 4x4's and then lower the jacks... I find that if I have the jack posts extended really far out it does two things... stretch the springs (my jacks are spring retracted) and it makes it wobbly. If I have room I will add another couple of layers of plywood so the jacks don't have to extend too much.
PolarMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #8
Site Team

Are your wheels on the ground (all around) once you are leveled? We tend to wobble when we don't have 8-points on the ground.
Old 07-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

If you’ve raised you rig with the jacks including the tires off the ground it will wobble. I’ve read varying opinions on how to properly lift one and I’m of the opinion that the system is not designed to completely raise the rig however, it can do it.
Level and remove some pressure from the suspension.
If I get mine a bit to high it’ll wobble and I don’t like that either. I try to find the happy medium.
jdkskyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I had 94 Vectra. The wobble in mine was from soft floors.
dickb46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:04 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

First, if you have air suspension, dump the air bags if your leveling system doesn't do it automatically. This of course lowers the coach to its lowest point before attempting to level. The lower, the better. As with putting the wood base down, this will lesson the extension of the Jacks even more. Per coach instructions, ALWAYS make sure the rear wheels are on the ground, and the park brake is set! You probably already do this anyway. If that isn't helping have a repair place that you trust check the jack stand mounts for wear and tightness and possible leaks. My '07 Horizon is rock solid on the 4 HWH levelers, when lowered after dumping the airbags and putting the stands on 2-2x12s, 12" square. For more surface area support on softer surfaces I add 18" square extra heavy duty stand pads I got at CW, which I place upside down as instructed. Works great.
Newhorizon1 is offline   Reply With Quote