Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #81
Winnie-Wise

Will be picking ours up next week. Going to have them wax it while its there. My shoulder can't handle waxing anymore
Yes we'll have to compare notes...
Old 03-16-2013, 06:38 PM   #82
Winnebago Owner

Picked ours up yesterday. We are getting closer, but not completed. All of the slide molding parts came in bad and the center cabinet parts in the bathroom came in bad. This will be order 5, going on month 13. The bathroom door molding and the bedroom mirror molding were not received. All of the galley stuff is good now and some is the bedroom, so we can move most of our stuff back in. Glad we bought a quality coach!
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #83
Winnie-Wise

None of our door molding was bad, just the cabinet stuff......now something else to worry about
Old 03-19-2013, 01:37 PM   #84
Winnie-Wise

Picked up the MH today. All done....inspected all the work and everything looks fine..in fact the cabinet doors are fitted better than from the factory, now they all line up! No dings, scrapes or cuts anywhere.
Tech did not have to remove the counters which was good. Also did not have to remove the refrigerator, just pulled it out a bit...it was tested..all works fine.
The tech that did the work took almost three weeks. He is their wood/ cabinet guy....I was impressed after some of my experiences at dealers elsewhere.
The service writer was very helpful.....all in all a good experience...would certainly return..
Now let's hope the cabinets don't delaminate again......
Old 03-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #85
Winnebago Owner

Great to hear that your coach came back all good. While loading the towels into the bathroom cabinet, discovered the shelf edges beginning to bubble........ Arghhhhhhh
Old 03-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #86
Winnie-Wise

Is it just the edge. You can get a tape the same color/texture as the cabinets. I bought some in a 25' roll to use on a couple shelves I made for the bedroom closets. It comes in1" or 2" . Works good. When dealer replaced the bathroom door they gave the old one. Used it to make the shelves but needed to cover in face.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 PM   #87
Winnebago Owner

Cool, thanks for the tip, we'll have to get some of that.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:32 PM   #88
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
We bought a year ago late February, it has been at the dealer 127 days.
GaryKK, we'll have to compare notes next week!
Well, you beat us!! Our DSDP was in the dealers shop 113 days out of the first 308 days of ownership.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #89
Winnebago Camper

It would be interesting to find out why the delamination. Bad run of adhesives, contamination during the lamination process etc. I know that in aerospace manufacturing there are are certain chemicals, solvents and glues that are absolutely forbidden (such as silicone) in the lamination/bonding areas.
Frustrating as hell I bet!
nomansland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #90
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomansland View Post
It would be interesting to find out why the delamination. ....
Frustrating as hell I bet!
I think it is mainly an effort to save a few bucks, we even offered to pay the difference if they would mill the pieces out of solid maple,.....
Guess if Winnebago knew they would have corrected it on the first go-round.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:29 AM   #91
Winnebago Camper

I've often wondered why the laminated stuff instead of solid wood. It was suggested to me that solid wood is heavier and less temp/moisture sensitive over the laminates.
And, likely more expensive.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:38 PM   #92
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomansland View Post
I've often wondered why the laminated stuff instead of solid wood. It was suggested to me that solid wood is heavier and less temp/moisture sensitive over the laminates.
And, likely more expensive.
All of the above......except natural wood is more sensitive to moisture etc.

I spoke with a rep from Winnebago some time ago when I first noticed the delamination. Was told that the vendor that supplies the wood material for the cabinets had tried a new manufacturing process....did not work....
Winnebago makes all their own cabinets and stains/finishes.
Old 05-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #93
Winnie-Wise

Well......was out in the MH the other day looking around after a short trip to the mountains and found another spot where its delaminating again. Right above the refrigerator, small spot. This piece was replaced in March. Back to the dealer for a photo and ordering of a new piece. Was told it may take a month now as there is such a large demand for replacement pieces. Dealer told me that Winnie rep had just been there and was told one dealer has over 100 units to repair Also learned that the problem may have been the way the vendor processed the wood used in the cabinet material. Apparently they added something to the wood to make it better/stronger but unfortunately whatever it is bleeds and causes the delamination....
Old 05-17-2013, 02:50 PM   #94
Winnebago Owner

Well, we were going to wait to post this until after our 5th attempt to get our cabinet issues repaired was completed, but now is as good a time as any.

We met with our district Winnebago service manager a week ago and walked him thru our coach. He was very apologetic for the inconvenience we have gone thru and he explained the issue as he understands it. He recommended replacing all the cabinet fascias whether they are damaged now or not as they may fail eventually and it would be better for us to visit the dealership once rather than piecemeal it out. We are down to just the bathroom cabinets and door and mirror moldings and all slide moldings, with that everything will have been replaced at least twice.

We are crossing our fingers, wish us luck.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #95
Winnie-Wise

The saga continues
Old 05-31-2013, 07:10 PM   #96
Winnebago Owner

Ok, picked up our coach about an hour ago. After 3 weeks, very little was repaired. Apparently the parts came in bad yet again! Interestingly enough, we were checking out a new sightseer 35G on the lot for only 2 weeks. Nice floor plan. It is already having problems with the facsia's de laminating. Yikes!
Old 06-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #97
Winnebago Camper

I recently had to disassemble the twin bed area on my brand new view to correct the problem of undersized rails for the center slide out platform that turns the twins into a king. These rails were made of oak but too narrow (actually the platform is too narrow) and I made wider ones.
The point being, I got a close inner look at the construction and must say I was mildly disappointed at the quality of construction. Very light weight (I know weight is a concern) ply board with a contact paper type laminate and the seams sealed with contact paper. Heaven forbid if any of this comes in contact with water.
Old 06-01-2013, 11:00 AM   #98
Winnie-Wise

I think Winnebago will be repairing these cabinets for a long time....
Old 06-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #99
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
Ok, picked up our coach about an hour ago. After 3 weeks, very little was repaired. Apparently the parts came in bad yet again! Interestingly enough, we were checking out a new sightseer 35G on the lot for only 2 weeks. Nice floor plan. It is already having problems with the facsia's de laminating. Yikes!
Unbelievable!
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #100
Winnebago Owner

Sorry to hear of your problem. These issues seem to be more and more common with Winnebago lately. They used to have a very good reputation but lately they seem to be going in the wrong direction. Before I bought our DS, I had looked at a few winnys and felt they were of decent quality but in the end I am glad we went with our Newmar. When I compare it to everything else, I am convinced we made the right choice.

Tags
sightseer