Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-01-2012, 06:24 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Just an update: We were told this afternoon by the dealer that Winnebago will not be able to ship the replacement parts for the cabinets (ordered again mid July) until mid-September as they are on back order. They say they are working with a supplier to identify the problem and ensure these parts are good. We're not happy as you can imagine. Is anyone getting any different stories about this problem?
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

We just had 4 cabinets replced last week at Forest City.
Same delamination problem.
Took about a week to make them, and then 2 days to install them.
They look good, and you can't tell they were replaced.

We are very pleased with the service we got at the factory.
And are glad we didnt have to work through a dealer.
Old 08-02-2012, 03:35 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomer
We just had 4 cabinets replced last week at Forest City.
Same delamination problem.
Took about a week to make them, and then 2 days to install them.
They look good, and you can't tell they were replaced.

We are very pleased with the service we got at the factory.
And are glad we didnt have to work through a dealer.
Nice that you are so close and can take advantage of that. So, no rattles or anything from the replacement?
Old 08-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #24
Winnebago Owner

Were came down for the GNR (from Ohio) & went over to service on a whim.

We only noticed it on the bathroom medicine cabinet & just assumed the previous owner never ran the vent when showering..
Well, the tech found issues on 3 more cabinets, and since there was still warrenty left, we told them to go ahead we'll wait.

Of course while we waited for them to come in we found several other little things for them to fix, adjust, check, etc.
We also got some paint work done at CDI.

Long story short. Everythings done & we are leaving Iowa tomorrow. A couple weeks later than expected. But everythings "right". No squeaks, rattle, drips, runs, or errors...
Old 08-22-2012, 07:08 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

Our dealer informed us that production has started on the replacement cabinet face trim pieces and other assorted moldings.
There are several dozen coaches ahead of us,( and however many behind us) so hopefully when we return in October we can get these fixed.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:46 PM   #26
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick
Our dealer informed us that production has started on the replacement cabinet face trim pieces and other assorted moldings.
There are several dozen coaches ahead of us,( and however many behind us) so hopefully when we return in October we can get these fixed.
We did return and took the coach to the dealer, as the new trim pieces had arrived. Called today to see if we could pick it up. Nope, some of the new trim pieces came in with wrinkles in the veneer and are being re-ordered, others had to be sent out to be cut to the correct size. They offered to stop we're they were and return it to us, but we opted to let them keep it, since we didn't need it, and we can't re- load the cabinets anyway. Why they didn't just mill solid maple ( or whatever wood the doors are ) and stain to match I'll never know.
This new twist also has me thinking is this going to happen every summer?
...and, had I known it was going to be in the shop so often, I would have never rented a storage space.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:28 PM   #27
Winnebago Owner

Our replacements have been holding up fine.
Its only been 2 months, but we full-time so they get plenty of use & abuse.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:02 AM   #28
Winnebago Camper

Have you opened up one of those wrinkles to see if it is laminated wood that is coming unglued or is it actually paper that's coming unglued?

Surprisingly, yet not so surprisingly, many manufacturers use medium density resin sheeting (like particle board), not wood, and stick on an outer "wallpaper" that appears to be wood. The glues used are water-based and if not applied and held under 100% pressure... they trap air bubbles under it and form voids in the laminate. As temperature and humidity change, the glue loosens and the laminate blisters.

I remember reading about wall paneling for mobile homes that was made that way only a few years ago and blisters would appear as the seasons changed. Try using a damp wash cloth and hold it firmly over the blister about 5 minutes to see if the blister flattens out. Sometimes you can rejuvenate the adhesive by soaking through the outer paper. This isn't a recommended repair method though; while in warranty you need to keep on them to fix it. Their quality control is slipping back to years gone by.
bigfeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #29
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChileRick View Post
The dealer says Winnebago believes it's bad glue. As far as heat related, we have no idea, it is hot here, but that shouldn't be an excuse.
Or could some sort of interior moisture cause this? Seems a little odd that the OEM cabinets and replacement cabinets a lot further down the production run have the same problem.
RTegarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 02:56 PM   #30
Winnebago Owner

Purchased a used 2007 sightseer, it had the same problem on a lot of the trim. Cabinets appear to be ok. Luckily I'm a woodworker, so I'm just replacing with real wood milled and stained to match.
wmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:57 PM   #31
Winnie-Wise

I've noticed that some of the facia on the cabinets is starting to pucker......appears to be from poor manufacturing ...will be taking it to the dealer soon.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:25 PM   #32
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk
I've noticed that some of the facia on the cabinets is starting to pucker......appears to be from poor manufacturing ...will be taking it to the dealer soon.
It's a widespread problem, just be sure to get it in before that first year expires, not that they won't take care of it, by why risk it.....on the same note, visited with a couple venders at the Pomona, Ca show that actually mill and replace cabinet face trim pieces from solid hard-wood, so, there are options....
Old 10-15-2012, 06:23 PM   #33
Winnie-Wise

Ours started to show this summer.....bought it in February....
We had a bathroom door replaced, took two tries to get one that was not damaged. Same with a couple of cabinet doors I ordered to make under the bench seats easily accessible, first time came in broken..WE also have the coffee glaze maple. Hard to match the color and they won't sell you any either...
Old 10-18-2012, 03:31 PM   #34
Winnie-Wise

I just went through the MH, I found EVERY cabinet face is wrinkling or delaminating,(some worse than others).....we have a trip planned in a month for a few days and then it goes to dealer.....it will probably be months before its fixed.....which is OK as another trip is planned for a week at the end of December.
Odd, it seems this all happened in the last month??
Old 10-18-2012, 07:15 PM   #35
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk
I just went through the MH, I found EVERY cabinet face is wrinkling or delaminating,(some worse than others).....we have a trip planned in a month for a few days and then it goes to dealer.....it will probably be months before its fixed.....which is OK as another trip is planned for a week at the end of December.
Odd, it seems this all happened in the last month??
If you can, get to the dealer ASAP, as they'll need to photograph and order all the pieces, Winnebago will have to then approve and send to their cabinet shop, who will have to mill the pieces and so on ( at least that's how it worked for us ) this all takes time. We started this process in May, and there are still pieces on order. So, if you wanted the work done by spring, you may want to start now.
Other things to check, slide out moldings, laminate counter tops and, as you know cabinet doors.
Let's keep each other posted.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #36
Winnie-Wise

I am in no hurry to get it fixed and next year will be OK as we have several trips planned. The cabinet doors are solid maple so no worries there. All will be recorded and photographed by both me and the dealer when it goes to them next month.

Honestly, if I could get a good match on the finnish (which Winnebago will not sell or share) I would make my own cabinet faces out of maple...I just hate the thought of all those cabinets being pulled out and replaced by the dealer...I can just see nicks, tears and scrapes in our future..but then again I have a problem driving 1800 miles to the factory on my dime
Old 10-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #37

Take a door down to a cabinet shop.. they should be able to mix up a match.
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #38
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl
Take a door down to a cabinet shop.. they should be able to mix up a match.
We ran across a custom RV shop at the Pomona show that said they mill their own trim and can match any stain, it's something they have done plenty of times.
...on another note, they can paint one of the "swooshes" on your RV to match your toad for a lot less than painting your toad to match the RV!
Old 10-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #39
Winnebago Watcher

Hey ChiliRick, We bought a lovely 2012 Sunstar in May, upon delivery we noticed one of the cabinets was delaminating. This was the three weeks between the time we selected and the delivery! Needless to say, it was noted and the cabinet and fascia was ordered. We went on our shake down trip. More delaminating. Over the course of the first three months every single laminated surface in our coach started delaminating. The beauty of this is that as the parts were replaced, they started delaminating as well. The dealer has had my coach more than I have had it. They called me last week to tell me they finished the work but now a new problem has come up. They could not get the coach our of the bay. Can start it up, put it in gear, won't go anywhere. They call it "limp mode". So the Ford dealer has been called to tow it and fix it. Hopefully, he says it is a sensor or something. Mercy me, I am glad this did not happen while we were out. We have all the warranty and roadside service but we usually travel with our dogs. My husband and I are new RV'ers and this is baffling to us the amount of problems with have had with something that was brand new.
sharksgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #40
Winnie-Wise

I e-mailed the "company" last week, I was concerned that my dealer could not handle the job of replacement. Got a call the next day from a Winnie tech., was told that all the dealer will do is replace the cabinet faces and not the whole cabinet.....that was a relief.....he also told me to take it to dealer as soon as possible as there may be a wait for parts....It seems that all Winnies in the maple coffee glaze have this problem....the manufacturer tried a new process and it apparently did not work too well. I got the impression that the vendor for this material is on the hook for all this...

Tags
sightseer