Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2018, 09:52 AM   #41
Winnebago Master

Here's what the edge channel looks like on a Winnebago.

The advantage of the design is that it doesn't require screws or a clamping system to hold the roofing in place under normal circumstances. However, in practice on a moving vehicle's roof, things aren't normal all the time. It seems it's up to us consumers to do our best in protecting the roof edge and preventing it from pulling out of the J channel.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 10:21 AM   #42
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
I'm aware of the fiberglass roofs on Winnebagos. I was asking what "special" care is needed for the rubber roofs that was referred to in the post I quoted.
The "special care" is to ensure the caulking bead is intact and holding the roof edge into the aluminum channel and under the front and rear caps.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:41 AM   #43
Winnebago Master

Quote:
I'm aware of the fiberglass roofs on Winnebagos. I was asking what "special" care is needed for the rubber roofs that was referred to in the post I quoted.
As the previous owner of a TPO roof, there was special care involved with maintaining that roof. I was suppose to swab the entire roof with a 'fixative' twice a year or more if in a rainy or very sunshiny area. This helped prevent chalking. That chalking is a 'sacrificial' layer on the TPO that caused white streaks down the side of the RV caused by morning dew or rain. The edges of the roof were held down by screws so there wasn't any concern about the roof being blown off in the wind.

There is another issue with the TPO (and similar rubber roofs) and that's bubbling of the fabric. You might have seen it on occasion following or passing a RV on the freeway. Ever seen a big bubble on the roof of a RV? That's caused by moisture getting under the fabric, often by too much moisture inside the RV, or by a leaking rooftop seal, and it ballooning out. The wind caused vacuum sucks it up even more. Eventually, if not fixed, road wind can rip huge sections of the roof off.

So, yeah, there's lots of maintenance to do on a rubber roof too.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:57 AM   #44
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobC View Post
The "special care" is to ensure the caulking bead is intact and holding the roof edge into the aluminum channel and under the front and rear caps.
I believe you are still discussing the Winnebago fiberglass roof and that is not my question, but thanks.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 12:02 PM   #45
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
As the previous owner of a TPO roof, there was special care involved with maintaining that roof. I was suppose to swab the entire roof with a 'fixative' twice a year or more if in a rainy or very sunshiny area. This helped prevent chalking. That chalking is a 'sacrificial' layer on the TPO that caused white streaks down the side of the RV caused by morning dew or rain. The edges of the roof were held down by screws so there wasn't any concern about the roof being blown off in the wind.

There is another issue with the TPO (and similar rubber roofs) and that's bubbling of the fabric. You might have seen it on occasion following or passing a RV on the freeway. Ever seen a big bubble on the roof of a RV? That's caused by moisture getting under the fabric, often by too much moisture inside the RV, or by a leaking rooftop seal, and it ballooning out. The wind caused vacuum sucks it up even more. Eventually, if not fixed, road wind can rip huge sections of the roof off.

So, yeah, there's lots of maintenance to do on a rubber roof too.
Thanks. I'll have to do some investigating about this "swabbing" of TPO, that I have never heard of. We have a 7 year old RV that has been stored covered; we check the caulking twice a year and that's it. No chalking, no bubbles, no problem.

I always thought the Winnebago fiberglass roof was molded of the same stuff as the end caps, so it's disappointing to hear that it's such a thin piece of Filon. I hope the OP can get his roof repaired for a reasonable price.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:31 AM   #46
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Just wondering what specific "care" you are referring to? We don't have fiberglass but all we do is check the caulking each year and our 7 year old roof still looks new.
Sarah, I know you are a moderator - and I've made a negative statement about a non Winnebago design that has raised a question by a non-Winnie owner moderator on a winnie-owner site and possibly ruffled a feather. Because you are a moderator, and don't take it personally, I'm not going to engage in the discussion with you because in my mind there is no win in the end.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:20 PM   #47
Winnebago Camper

Hello new roof

After contacting a local handyman/builder in the panhandle he told me he could fix it so I could get back to Fl. for $650. I should have supervised his worker more closely but didn't want to have 3 of us on what remained of the roof. Bottom line, they did not screw it to the transverse ribs and did not use enough glue on the 1/8 plywood sheathing. Luckily they used latex window caulk so I was able to cover the seams with Seale Tite roofing tape and some
Eternabond. I covered the sides that were screwed to the aluminum rails with overlapped Eternabond. The repair was then given 2 thick coats of latex roof sealant. After it dried I noticed all the flex from the lack of glue, so I drilled holes through the plywood large enough to spray Great Stuff foam into the biggest voids. Seems to have worked, I've made it from the Ok. border to Memphis without any apparent problems. If I make it to Gainesville I will fill the rest of the voids and add more sealant or perhaps bitch a thane, this old crate isn't worth the $10,000 for a professional repair.
I should add the local builder I hired went out of his way to try and get me on the road. The weather sucked (hurricane Willa,etc.) and it took a lot longer than he thought. I spent about $500. on materials and gave him $850. He called me after my first day on the road to check up. Really not happy with Winnebago, and I was stuck in maybe the only town in Texas without a BBQ or a WhataBurger.
Idiotasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:58 PM   #48
Winnebago Master

Great you're underway.

By the way, there are no transverse beams to screw to. Couple vertical sheet metal pieces to help maintain the right curve, but no real beams. I have the drawings for my roof. Winnebago will send you yours, if you want to see exactly what you have.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:51 AM   #49
Winnebago Camper

Good to hear you're mobile, here's hoping the rest of your trip is boring.
Is that $10k quote for a carbon fiber upgrade?

Picture Posting Guide
charge-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 01:40 PM   #50
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian42e View Post
For decades Winnebago took pride in offering fiberglass roofs on all of their motorized products. Unfortunately with new direction in Management they took a step to the cheap side last year and started putting rubber roofs on the entry level motorhomes (Class A - Intent) and (Class C - Outback).

The Winnebago fiberglass roof may require some extra care, but it is one of the strongest roof to wall joints in the industry, and overall fiberglass is far superior to the rubber, TPO, or PVC membrane roofs. I will never go back to the care required for a rubber roof!
So since ours is a 2000 Itasca, our rubber roof is probably a replacement. Our roof would have been fiberglass to begin with.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:13 AM   #51
Winnebago Camper

Glad to hear you are in route to Fl. Good luck with the rest of your trip.
Dave11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof