Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Buying a 2011 42QD!

We are in the process of closing on a Winnebago 2011 42QD on Monday. I have a general pre-delivery check-off sheet, but would like to know what I should look for that would be particular to this model or Winnebago in general. Thanks for any help!
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

new or used?
if used, any factory warranty left?
Be sure all the remotes and manuals are there, and test every system.
Old 08-17-2012, 05:04 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by motohomer View Post
new or used?
if used, any factory warranty left?
Be sure all the remotes and manuals are there, and test every system.
It's used with 15K and only the structural warranty left. They don't offer much warranty. I was hoping that someone that had one would say to especially check some item particular to the 42QD.
Wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 06:29 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I'm usually a little afraid of a one year old coach, many times there is a reason (not good) that a one year old coach is being sold or traded in. I'm even more afraid of a one year old coach of one brand being sold by another brand dealer. Sort of like buying a one year old Chevy off a Ford dealers lot. Other than that I don't know of any problems that model and year has. Just look it over and test eveything and make sure anything you find is fixed before any papers are signed.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2012, 08:05 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Check the cabinet face frames and slide out trim for bubbles in the veneer, as well as de-laminating on other surfaces such as formica bath countertops.
Another Winnebago issue is the slide out lock. These are general problems not model specific issues, that have been addressed by Winnebago. Not sure how they might be resolved on an out of warranty coach if affected.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

check out this link: Winnebago-specific issues Read the one "Almost to Forest city"
Looks like the same make, year and model and it's headed to Forest city now for repairs. Maybe you can contact them.
zippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Here is my $.02 worth: I wouldn't worry about buying a one-year old unit from a dealer who does not sell Winnebagos.

One thing I have concluded after being around these beasts for 50 years: Owners seldom have the same reaction to motor home problems. Some simply roll with the punches and enjoy, while others will let things bug them to the end that they take enormous losses and trade after only one year. That may have been the reason the coach ended up on the market after only one year.

You will never find a perfect coach. They don't make 'em! If this one looks good and checks out, and you maintain a positive outlook; life will be good.
Old 08-18-2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe View Post
We are in the process of closing on a Winnebago 2011 42QD on Monday. I have a general pre-delivery check-off sheet, but would like to know what I should look for that would be particular to this model or Winnebago in general. Thanks for any help!
Sent PM with e-mail and phone if you want to chat more.

We have exact same model with 15K miles on it after 1 year. No major issues or show stoppers, some minor issues: cameras were intermittent, electric door latch and door remotes did not work, both fixed in Forest City when we passed thru, slide locks are flakey but easy to fix and lots of owners report just not using them. Gen set would shut down with overtemp alarm on our first trip until we figured out it had never been properly filled with coolant! Nothing major, we'd buy same coach again. We've replaced sat dome with HD dish and added solar.

Regards,

Todd
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Wannabe, I have a 2010 Tour 42 I bought new and will share what I have learned. Look for rusting under the storage boxes and the wheel wells. I'm not sure what they use for paint but it's crap. Get them to fix it if you can as part of the deal. Lots of items attached to the fiberglass cap both front and rear are glued on. So far the radiator louvres on the rear of my coach have come unglued as well as a bumper mounting bracket on the front generator cover. Had a few wood trim pieces come loose. Check the bed and rear slides. Sometimes the microswitch lockout feature prevents the bed from moving which means the slide won't go back in. Make them go through the whole cycle. Check the valve stem extensions on the rear dual for tightness. I had a loose one and didn't realize it until I installed a tire pressure monitoring system. Two days later I had a flat tire from a very slow leak. Took me a couple days to figure that one out. Look under the engine for oil leaks. Make them fix any you find. If you ever decide to tow a trailer you will need the Freightliner pigtailed connector to connect to the Freightliner harness under the dash. Bought mine from Tweety's. Freightliners connector is $100+. Tweety's is $29

We had a few switches miss wired from the factory like the seat heaters and grey tank selector. Other than that we love the coach. Just installed a splendide washer dryer and so far no new issues. It's like owning a house there is always something that needs attention. If you like to tinker you will love owning a motorhome.

Good luck with your new home on wheels!
Tpflyer is offline   Reply With Quote