Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2019, 09:15 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Black tank vent

I have a 2004 Winnebago Adventurer 35U. I was up on the roof looking at what it would take to remove my old KVH satellite disk. My black water tank vent has a odd swivel hood on it that hits the outside entertainment radio antenna. Looks like a Darth Vader helmet.

Looking at the parts PDF I don't see that swivel so I assume it was added. What should be on the end of the vent pipe? I have a part number for what is called for. Should I look for a smaller swivel that doesn't hit the antenna? At night you can hear it banging into the antenna.

22 083558-06-000 EA VENT W/COVER F/PLUMBING STACK - VW WHITE
22 083558-03-000 EA VENT W/COVER F/PLUMBING STACK - OFF WHITE
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bathroom_Swivel_vent.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	172311  
Old 10-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Well it needs to be able to swivel 360 degrees. It catches the wind and makes sure the black water is vented and no smells come in. The antenna could be removed or moved maybe. I do not know if they come smaller or not that would be something to look into. I had one on my old RV and it worked great but did not hit anything either.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Thanks. I might look at it and see if I can trim it down a bit and tilt the antenna. Or

I see Camco makes a Cyclone 360 swivel vent. It might be smaller and avoid the antenna.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:18 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

I ordered the Camco Cyclone. Wasn't that much. Will give it a try.

Venting hasn't been an issue. It was the banging noise at night.
Old 10-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Let us know it that one work ok. I am sure others have that problem.
RD Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Will do. Hopefully the weather holds long enough to get it installed and some other roof projects.

I have a roof vent cover coming for over the bathroom vent. There is one over the kitchen vent and we like it a lot. Plus removing the outdated non functional KVH satellite dish while I'm up there. Switched to a Pathway X2. I have a tube of Dicor self leveling sealant. These projects should make good use of the tube as once there open you usually can't use it later.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:57 PM   #7
'08 Itasca Ellipse 40WD.

My advice thrown that Darth Vader vent away. If it has room to swivel 360 degrees it would be ok, but it is not. We installed a smaller vent cap that has small solar panel on top that runs a fan. You can hear it running from inside the coach to confirm it is working. Work great. Purchased from Camco? I think. Check with Camping World.
rkennedy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #8
'08 Itasca Ellipse 40WD.

Or try this possible solution from Amazon:

Ultra-Fab 53-945001 Mini Solar Plumbing Vent White
Ultra-Fab 53-945001 Mini Solar Plumbing Vent White
by Ultra-Fab Products
3.3 out of 5 stars 137 ratings | 25 answered questions
Price: $46.56 & FREE Shipping. Details & FREE Returns
Get $50 off instantly: Pay $0.00 upon approval for the Amazon Rewards Visa Card. No annual fee.
Note: Available at a lower price from other sellers that may not offer free Prime shipping.
Automatically removes RV plumbing odor and moisture
Aerodynamic for less drag co-efficiency
Durable powder coat finish
Installs easily on roof top
No wiring required
NOTE: Refer the User Guide before use.
Silently and automatically removes RV plumbing odors and moisture
rkennedy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:32 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

That is not OEM vent which was just a stationary 360 degree round vent cap with no moving parts. OEM Satellite Dish is in the front and the outside entertainment radio antenna was off to the side near the refrigerator vent and not over the bathroom near the sewer vent, at least on my 2001 35U and most other 35U's I have looked at. If there are more than two radio antennas on the coach perhaps someone added a third for an AM/FM radio in the bedroom and if that radio no longer exists you might be able to just unscrew the rubber ducky antenna from the base and store it away somewhere.

It looks like a previous owner made a few modifications that may not have been that well thought out. My 35U had a few mods from the previous owner but thankfully they left a bag with the original parts in the storage area under the bed.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:04 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the advice. I received the Camco Cyclone. Looks like it will clear the antenna. I'm going to try that an if needed look at some of the other suggestions.

I looked in my downloaded manuals for 2004 35U. In the 12V install pdf page 8 it shows an OEM antenna where it is now. I have a front rubber antenna which I assume is for the dash radio. The one in question has to be for the outside entertainment. There is one other antenna above the drivers seat to the side. That is the CB antenna that was added.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof_Antenna.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	172336  
Old 10-17-2019, 10:28 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cef2lion View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I received the Camco Cyclone. Looks like it will clear the antenna. I'm going to try that an if needed look at some of the other suggestions.

I looked in my downloaded manuals for 2004 35U. In the 12V install pdf page 8 it shows an OEM antenna where it is now. I have a front rubber antenna which I assume is for the dash radio. The one in question has to be for the outside entertainment. There is one other antenna above the drivers seat to the side. That is the CB antenna that was added.

I prefer the outside entertainment radio antenna in the original location off to the side which is to me the more direct route for the wiring. The CB antenna above the drivers seat was factory installed or at least the base was with the wire coiled up under the dash for those that wanted to use it.

Language has degenerated horribly on the CB since I got my CB License from the FCC about 50 years ago so most times I leave it off now as my passengers find it highly offensive with all the constant gutter speak.

As for needing the air vane on the vent thankfully I never found I actually needed it however I do open a window if I am going to turn on a roof vent fan since if you do not you can be creating such negative pressure that you might suck air through your traps and have tank smell inside your coach. Pouring a cup of water down the shower pan and both sinks after a long time in storage and if you have a washing machine down its drain line will do much to prevent tank odors inside the coach since dry empty traps will not prevent tank odor from entering the coach. Also if you open the bathroom roof vent whether the tank vent has a vane on it or not if you do not turn the fan on and open a window a crack you could end up with a reverse flow of air and suck the fumes from the tank vent inside the coach too.

Good that you found one that works for you however if it still turns out to be problematic after a while you may find simpler may often be better.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:00 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Had the old dome style vent covers, 360 degree, on my Bounder. Removed them and replaced with PVC 'T's from the bathroom section of Home depot. Cost all of $4. Oriented them so the openings were front to back. Any breeze, including driving, would cause sewer smell to be drawn up and out. There's really no need for a wind vane that rotates, IMO. Never had a problem with sewer smells while driving after installation.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, tank, vent