Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2018, 08:28 PM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_HiTek View Post
I don't think calmly expressing his disappointment with a major purchase that's caused problems in use with a doubtful future is being consistently negative except in an incidental way. OP has a right to express his feelings as far as I'm concerned. I'm happy to read the good or the bad about a product I might purchase in the future. What to expect, how bad is it, how the manufacturer reacted to the issue...that sort of thing.

So I hope the OP keeps us informed with his struggles.
I wasn't talking about the OP. Please read posts first before commenting.
Meridian42e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:50 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaHoosier View Post
I am heading to Chesapeake, VA in a couple weeks for warranty repair (I hope) where I had to have the Shwintek system replaced last August.
What a shame. I assume your dealer is in Virginia?

Have you considered taking it to the factory in Iowa? They’re the ones that can fix slides for certain.

I took ours there in May (1300 miles one way) and they put two new rollers under the kitchen section of the slide to better support the weight.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:10 AM   #23
Winnebago Owner

Were they able to add those rollers without taking out the slide? I can't figure out how to even see my rollers. I was going to try to lube them.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:59 AM   #24
Winnebago Master

Several years ago, when the full wall slideouts started appearing, I kind of shook my head and wondered why on earth would I want to buy one of them.

Something that long, on a steel frame, which will have some flexing and twisting, is bound to be problematic when pushing or retracting a 20 to close to 30 foot long box in and out the side.

Certainly, if you are always to park on a fairly level site where the frame of the RV doesn't have to flex or twist to stabilize on the the jacks, the huge slide is probably going to work well. However there are far to many times when we park in a site where one corner of the rig is low or high and the leveling system has to work pretty hard to get the rig level.

Another problem I have read people have, is when you have a long kitchen counter in the slideout. The counter top has a tendency to crack, probably from the center of the slideout sagging a bit in the center.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:33 AM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian42e View Post
Were they able to add those rollers without taking out the slide? I can't figure out how to even see my rollers. I was going to try to lube them.
I don’t know how they did it. The factory makes you wait in a big waiting room and don’t let you back to see. Then the workmen come to see you and tell you what’s going on.

At the factory they put specialized teams of people on each coach. So, a slide team does all the slide work.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:40 AM   #26
Itasca Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
What a shame. I assume your dealer is in Virginia?

Have you considered taking it to the factory in Iowa? They’re the ones that can fix slides for certain.

I took ours there in May (1300 miles one way) and they put two new rollers under the kitchen section of the slide to better support the weight.
No, we were traveling when it started giving us problems, our dealer is in Sanford, Fl. That was the third time it was in the shop for that slide. My extended service warranty recommened West Service Center do the job. The job is still under their warranty. Who did you speak to at Winnebago? Make an appointment? How does that all work? I should contact them first, save myself driving. Chesapeake is 750 miles from here, Augusta, Ga. Forest City is 1144 but I bet it's much cooler up there in July and August!
Is you motorhome still under factory warranty? If not, is there a charge for the repair.
GaHoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:46 AM   #27
Itasca Traveler

Quote:
The repair facility installed the "system upgrade" from Winnebago. Not sure if that included additional rollers or not and I don't have my invoice close at hand.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:59 AM   #28
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
Several years ago, when the full wall slideouts started appearing, I kind of shook my head and wondered why on earth would I want to buy one of them.

Something that long, on a steel frame, which will have some flexing and twisting, is bound to be problematic when pushing or retracting a 20 to close to 30 foot long box in and out the side.

Certainly, if you are always to park on a fairly level site where the frame of the RV doesn't have to flex or twist to stabilize on the the jacks, the huge slide is probably going to work well. However there are far to many times when we park in a site where one corner of the rig is low or high and the leveling system has to work pretty hard to get the rig level.

Another problem I have read people have, is when you have a long kitchen counter in the slideout. The counter top has a tendency to crack, probably from the center of the slideout sagging a bit in the center.
I don't think I have ever heard of a problem with the full wall slide related to anything you list. I have the full slide and it is the most robust slide system on the coach. It uses the underfloor Power Gear slide system and slide locks. It is the other side with Schwintek that is the troublemaker, especially on the heavier slides.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:01 AM   #29
Itasca Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post

Because there are people out there that don't have much experience buying motorhomes. My main concern was the engine, transmission and the fact that Winnebago has survived as long as they have to stand behind their products. We really like the large slide but with all that weight on one slide...well, we will have to see what happens.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:03 AM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
I don't think I have ever heard of a problem with the full wall slide related to anything you list. I have the full slide and it is the most robust slide system on the coach. It uses the underfloor Power Gear slide system and slide locks. It is the other side with Schwintek that is the troublemaker, especially on the heavier slides.
They changed the full wall to a Power Gear Thin Rail slide. It’s not the under wall type any more on most models. I’m not sure when exactly. The why, I was told, was to increase basement space.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #31
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
They changed the full wall to a Power Gear Thin Rail slide. It’s not the under wall type any more on most models. I’m not sure when exactly. The why, I was told, was to increase basement space.
I guess I was focused on the Journey/Meridian and Tour/Ellipse. The full wall slides continue to be Power Gear underfloor. A good sign though, the new Horizon, and the new floor plans of the Tour are coming out with Power Gear underfloor in both the full wall, and medium wall slides! I just noticed all of the Tour 45s have Power Gear underfloor on both sides. The legacy floor plans like the Horizon 42Q (like the 42QD), continue to be that thin rail on the medium kitchen slide though.

Here is the medium wall slide on the new Horizon 40
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	capture 30.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	169846  
Old 07-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #32
Winnebago Master

Quote:
You seem to be consistently negative about Winnebago, and I suppose there has to be some like that, but I wonder why you spend so much time on the forum spreading your misery to every post.

I myself came here to get Winnebago happy about my purchase, (which I love) and I feel good supporting a US company that has held on for 60 years and has even acquired some good companies recently such as Country Coach and Chris Craft. I have had many RVs, and there are tons worse, believe me! In fact, none of the companies I bought from before (even 2014) exist anymore, as they have bought out by the big Thor and homogenized into the Thor template.

I'm not a Winnebago chearleader, but I am impressed with the company and I'm thrilled to have a coach with drawings and parts lists and craftsmanship near aircraft quality in my mind. I've seen their wiring, plumbing, cabinetry, and they are near the top of their game compared to some. I also understand they top out where other manufacturers start, so it would be a big stretch to say they are a top high end builder, but what they do produce is pretty impressive. Sure, they got spanked with every piece of junk LCI they used, but what manufacturer hasn't resisted the dark side of LCI.

I'm heading to the rally, and I really hope what I see is far different than what you continuously describe, and I that you are just a party pooper.

Lets not get personal here. If you are not personally satisfied with my reporting well earned bias against a once great company, please contact my via PM. Being politically correct YOU ARE NOT. If we, on this forum, are required to report only our good experiences and avoid our major, eye witness, observations of major problems, we will become like the major news networks. False news factories.

Newsflash to all. My wife and I love our coach. When we have a problem it is usually with one of the major weak areas of design and engineering by Winnebago or one of its major suppliers. I have had slide issues keep me off the road longer and cost me more money than any other issue. The other minorissues that we have had to contend with are usually the results of poor quality control or a major oversight by the body engineering team, ie, no attachment reinforcing in the slide ceiling of the galley slide for the cabinet over the 'J' couch. I discovered this when it detached from the slide ceiling.

Please accept this invite, ALL. PM me if you are not satisfied with my honest fact reporting. It may be as simple as I am too blunt for some. I DO seek to write HONEST opinions from personal experiences or witness.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:12 AM   #33
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
Lets not get personal here. If you are not personally satisfied with my reporting well earned bias against a once great company, please contact my via PM. Being politically correct YOU ARE NOT. If we, on this forum, are required to report only our good experiences and avoid our major, eye witness, observations of major problems, we will become like the major news networks. False news factories.

Newsflash to all. My wife and I love our coach. When we have a problem it is usually with one of the major weak areas of design and engineering by Winnebago or one of its major suppliers. I have had slide issues keep me off the road longer and cost me more money than any other issue. The other minorissues that we have had to contend with are usually the results of poor quality control or a major oversight by the body engineering team, ie, no attachment reinforcing in the slide ceiling of the galley slide for the cabinet over the 'J' couch. I discovered this when it detached from the slide ceiling.

Please accept this invite, ALL. PM me if you are not satisfied with my honest fact reporting. It may be as simple as I am too blunt for some. I DO seek to write HONEST opinions from personal experiences or witness.
Nope-nope - I would never contact personally for any reason. I can see you are on a mission and who am I to stand in your way. I do hope your perceptions are wrong, and the company continues to move forward and do well.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:58 PM   #34
Winnebago Master

Quote:
My thoughts are along the line of: When the frame of the chassis is not perfectly aligned with the slide out box, it puts stress on the gears, tracks, and in general the mechanics that move the slide. Maybe allowing the gear to move slightly away from the rack it is driving. Do that several times and the gear or rack may slip a tooth or two or break a tooth. Another thought is a really long slide may be more subject to binding than a 10-12 foot slideout.

These are my earlier comments:
Quote:

al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #35
Winnebago Camper

Hi All,
Our 2015 Adventurer 37F has 3 slides -- Passenger Couch, Passenger Bedroom and Driver Whole Wall. The passenger couch has a very substantial system with tracks that extend into the center compartment. They look like they they could be part of a delivery truck's lift gate. The bedroom slide is the same type of system as the whole wall, but it has much less to bring in and out and the bed has its own internal rollers and metal frame that keep everything balanced.

The whole wall slide has a much smaller footprint and that seems to be the problem. As it slides in, all the weight shifts to the inside and this tries to kip the bottom edge out away from the direction of travel. As you bounce down the road, additional stress is put on the bottom tracks ... and as you drive into a gas station or any sloped entry, the chassis and house twist and torque which adds stress. That and the huge amount of weight is why the thin Schwintek tracks fail. The other slides are much more protected, and I doubt they will ever fail if kept clean and properly dry lubed.

I finally got over to our rig to retrieve the manual that describes how to replace the track system. I was hoping it had the LCI part/kit number on it, but it does not. I think that may be due to the fact that the instructions are the same but the actual kit number is rig dependent.
I originally thought the replacement had three tracks, but it still has only two. However, they are much more substantial than the ones originally installed.

I am going to get the original PDF document from my RV guy. When I do, I will be able to post some images so I can better describe what I am looking at.

My original post, among other things, was really asking if anyone had had their original whole wall tracks replaced with the newer version. We will be doing that even if we have to pay for most of it. The original system is going fail at the worst possible time and replacing it with the same version would be a super dumb time and money waster.
More and better info later - bh2oman
Bh2oman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 01:53 PM   #36
Site Team

I'm pretty sure the "old" system is the Lippert Schwintec In-Wall system. The new system is the Lippert SlimRack system.

They are similar in that they have two gear rails per side top/bottom - but on the Schwintec they are physically attached to the sides of the slide. On the SlimRack there are two long gear rails per side - top and bottom - but they stand proud of the slide sides by a couple of inches. The SlimRack rails are much beefier and the gears much deeper in profile.

The Living Room couch slide uses the Lippert Through Frame undermount rail system. Like the image above in post number 31. Five or so years ago they also used that system for the full-wall drivers side slide in the Adventurer 37F. It's a shame that they stopped using that.

Many people have had the Schwintec slide mechanism replaced with the SlimRack system. Usually at the Winnebago factories - but not always. Some dealers have been handling this too.

Here's what I believe you are talking about Bh2oman - first photo is the Schwintec and the second in the ThinRack:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 2.44.35 PM.png
Views:	123
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	169853   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 2.45.27 PM.png
Views:	122
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	169854  

Old 07-09-2018, 02:56 PM   #37
Winnebago Camper

Thanks creativepart,
Yup - that's the old and the "new". I may be wrong, but the SlimRack system is probably our only option that will keep our big slide level and that can handle the forces it is being subjected to.
Any idea what they are charging to replace the the Schwintek with the SlimRack?
bh2oman
Old 07-09-2018, 03:00 PM   #38
Winnebago Camper

creativepart,
You own a 2016 37F? Do you have the SlimRack? If you do, how's it holding up?
bh2oman
Old 07-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #39
Site Team

MIne's a 2017 with the SlimRack. It's doing pretty well. The big slide gets out of sync top to bottom sometimes. But it's not been a huge issue.

We went to the factory in May and they aligned the motors/tracks and put in extra rollers under the kitchen portion of the slide. It works better than ever now.

I've talked to a number of folks that took their out of warranty Winnebagos to the factory and had the slide changed out. Some told me they got it free, other told me they split the cost with Winnebago.

I think for slide work going to the factory is pretty much a must.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:07 PM   #40
Winnebago Camper

I may have a way to make Camping World pay for it but that may mean I give them too much control. I've learned that CW is not to be trusted. Having said that ... we would drive ours to Iowa if that works best. We have an extended warranty that might pay what it would cost to re-install the same system even if we use that payment to install the SlimTrack system. Agree that extra rollers under the sink area would better support the heaviest area.
You have helped a lot - thank you so much,
Ben - bh2oman

Ben

Tags
slide, slideout