Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2019, 08:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

Bedroom TV

Hello, I have a 2002 adventurer, my bedroom tv is original tube tv and I want to mount a flat screen in its place. First question is how do I get to the bracket holding the tv in place, second question what mount should I use? And how do I go about installing the mount without the bolts going through the wall and penetrating the outside of the coach?
Thanks
Frank Billecci
Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 08:16 PM   #2
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

I just tried to remove mine but

It seems to be stuck to the plywood on the bottom. I unscrewed what looked like a brace on the top of the tv. 3 screws but one end still seems attached.

Right now it’s still in place until I figure it out. Let me know what you find out.
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 09:18 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Once you have the TV out...

I have a '02 Journey and the tube TV was mounted in the other corner from yours. Towards the front of the RV. I had a 24" LCD Vizio so I made up a mounting for it. Using a piece of plywood that I fashioned into a door over the old tube TV space. That gives me a nice cabinet to store things. I used a piano hinge to keep the door with the TV on it from slowly pulling away from the cabinet as many do. The TV is mounted on the door. I've since stained it but 2 years on, it's still pretty much the way I set it up in this blog article: Entertainment Center - Bedroom

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

So on mine there is a thin piece of laminate screwed in underneath the tv, remove 6 screws and you can drop the laminate down far enough to get to the Phillips screws that hold the brace for the tv
Old 06-02-2019, 02:51 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks Jim, I’m thinking on doing the same
Old 06-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #6
CZBB RV6A 2008 29R Sight

That makes sence

I saw the screws there but also trim on the edges. I figured that was what to do after seeing some 3D pictures of the bracket they use.

Thanks for the confirmation.
7997redtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Mounting flat screen in old tube TV space

I cut a 1/2” smooth gran plywood (Lowes)
and mounded it with stainless piano hinge
to interior right side of interior TV space wall about 3” from front. Put trim ion inside perimeter of the plywood so the hinges plywood would have something secure to fold back onto. Mounted a swing TV wall mount about center of plywood... you might decide more left or right is better for situation. The plywood took stain very well and after some trial and error, was able to match closely nearby RV wood so that the false back looked like a real factory back. I used strong magnets met for cabinet doors to secure this swing capable mounting plywood. The hidden area behind the swing Faldo back became our secret ‘safe area’ for DW’s jewelry/ a little extra cash, prescribed meds. The TV on the swing arm needs to be secured during travel. Lot of ways to do this. Since the adjustable arm has some flex to it, I decided on a simple thin molding running horizontally under the face of the TV... if you select how far to mound the false back so the from of the TV will be held snug by a thin molding strip it will keep the TV in placing even on the roughest roads. To deploy the TV we just lift the TV up and over the trim piece.
Radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 07:32 AM   #8
2010 Itasca Ellipse

I was a little nervous about putting that much weight on the wall of my 2003 Journey since when it was built nobody was even thinking about hanging TVs on walls. I'm not sure what your layout is, but on my Journey there is a desk right below where the corner mount TV was. I opted for a desktop pedestal-type mount. I happened to find just what I wanted at Walmart https://www.walmart.com/ip/VIVO-Swiv...00M2/683458754 but there are plenty of other options out there.
I installed mine over a year ago and have had absolutely no problems with it.
My-Journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 08:39 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Wall strength for TV mounting

If you have concern about wall strength as you consider replacing an old tube TV with a wall mounted LED TV... you can always first install a painted vertical board (more weight bearing strength if vertical mounted than horizontal. While I found higher the better for easy viewing bedroom TV, but ceiling mounting gets tricky especially if you have slides!
Radioflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 10:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Went to Harbor Freight & bought $10 bracket for TV and mounted to back wall which was closet wall no problem. Put bolts in from closet and nuts on tv side.
Ga.Gator is offline   Reply With Quote