Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Bedroom Fire exit thoughts - 2003 Journey

Hi - I was looking at the fire exit window in the bedroom of our 2003 Journey and it seemed like it would be pretty difficult to use. I realize if the RV was on fire it wouldn't be a issue. You do what you have to. I got a stick and propped it wide open and it would seem like you would want to go out backwards but for people our age it looks harder than you would think. And its too narrow to sit on it and put one leg out and the other facing forward.

All I can think of is to have a platform of some type near the window or build some sort of ladder. My wife is going to be staying in it alone while I finish up work and I was just trying to think how she would handle it in an emergency.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Ben
Old 03-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I have always heard that one should drag the picnic table under the emergency window after parking at a campground....that way it's not so far of a drop....and the first person out can stand on the table and help the other person out.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:44 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

I have thought about this. I hope nothing ever happens to anybody and they have to use this window to escape. That being said, if a fire or other emergency happens and you are forced to exit this window, it will be difficult but its your only option. So now is the time to think about it and plan a strategy. Not a bad idea to have a ladder ready or a picnic table there to help. Glad this was brought up.
motohomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 05:52 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Remember to drape the bed cover or blanket over the window sill. It makes the window ledge less sharp and you have something to drape over your shoulders as you stand outside in your jammies.
TwelveVolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 07:08 PM   #5
Winnie-Wise

There may have been a poster some time ago who commented about having an automotive window breaker / seatbelt cutter (available at Walmart and auto parts stores) that was kept close to the emergency window with the plan to break out the whole window rather than use just the escape portion. Hanging a blanket/quilt across the ledge is a great idea...

Kudos for thinking ahead on this one ...
Old 03-30-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post
There may have been a poster some time ago who commented about having an automotive window breaker / seatbelt cutter (available at Walmart and auto parts stores) that was kept close to the emergency window with the plan to break out the whole window rather than use just the escape portion. Hanging a blanket/quilt across the ledge is a great idea...

Not to sure how mine ER window works, but if only half prop open you might as well just slide the window open. Good idea with the blanket and table. If time permits I throw out my 3" foam mattress too for a softer landing.
1996 34'J Fleetwood Bounder, Chevy 454 TBI P-32, Bank PowerPack, Ultra Power Chip, BellCranks, Rear Trac Bar, Silver Safe-T-Plus and 04 CR-V Toad, Roadmaster Base Plate and All Terain Tow Bar, SMI Stay-In-Play DUO.
leesdx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 10:14 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lv2Roam2 View Post

I keep my window breaker next to the windows that don`t open. In case a tree or whatever is blocking the emergency window. My wife is disable and can not walk. I have thought alot about how I would get her out. It will be painful and things will break but it will be better then the alternative.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:09 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwelveVolt View Post
Remember to drape the bed cover or blanket over the window sill. It makes the window ledge less sharp and you have something to drape over your shoulders as you stand outside in your jammies.
Thanks TwelveVolt, great idea.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:13 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

I wonder about the feasibility of replacing the emergency window with an emergency door?
bsamole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 10:26 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsamole View Post
I wonder about the feasibility of replacing the emergency window with an emergency door?
Good idea. I hope that in the future that more builders will have something like Newmar has behind the toilet in the rear baths of the new motorhomes. A door that opens from the inside at close to floor level, still a hop out but better than a window jump.
I've made an escape ladder for our slider window and we have tried it but if the builders were interested in safety then they could build a better escape method. I guess we need to complain about the emergency exit to the builders and then something may be done.
Some builders like Winnebago make handicap motorhomes so they are capable of adding a door to the outside.
Jerry J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:06 AM   #11
Winnebago Watcher

All great suggestions, I also installed a Fire Extinguisher in the rear bedroom and hope I never have to use it.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:27 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry J View Post
Good idea. I hope that in the future that more builders will have something like Newmar has behind the toilet in the rear baths of the new motorhomes. A door that opens from the inside at close to floor level, still a hop out but better than a window jump.
There are others besides Newmar that are building rear doors in their motorhomes. American Coach, for example: instead of being hinged at the side, they're hinged at the bottom, so that it opens like an private jet's. The bottom side of the built-in shelves become stairs.

The RV industry is great at using each other's ideas, so hopefully this will become common in motorhomes.
cwsqbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 11:39 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

American Coach does have the best idea.
Old 03-31-2016, 11:44 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Mac web site
Mac has some great classes and good videos on how to handle a escape and what you need to do smoothly (as possible) get out. If you haven't seen them you should ! Your questions will all be answered
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 04:53 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

Do you think Mac would show us how he gets out? 8-)
We should all practice how we get out.
Old 03-31-2016, 05:02 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

Mac has some good tips in his a videos. I like his ladder but over $300 with shipping is a lot. I'm may try to make my own. Also have been looking at leaving a portable work platform outside the window but may not be high enough. It could be multi purpose as a work surface and maybe put some plants on it to hide it some. Would have to kick them out of the way on the way out. Hey it will all have to be tested whatever route we go. :-)
Old 03-31-2016, 05:17 PM   #17
Winnebago Watcher

I have thought about ever since we had a near disaster with our coach last year. Surge protector plug shorted out and melted. I woke up to the clicking sound of our transfer switch going off and on. Tom smelled hot wires. Found the plug before any major damage. But it made me wonder what would we have done if we had woken up too late. I now keep an emergency tote bag by the bed when we go to bed. Bag stays by the door during the day. Inside the bag I have emergency supply of our daily meds, coach info, copies of insurance information, spare keys to our jeep, contact numbers, and a bottle of water. Some else told me they keep a clean set of clothes in their toad vehicle. Maybe I am over thinking it, but that is just me.

tikitom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:41 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
There are others besides Newmar that are building rear doors in their motorhomes. American Coach, for example: instead of being hinged at the side, they're hinged at the bottom, so that it opens like an private jet's. The bottom side of the built-in shelves become stairs.

The RV industry is great at using each other's ideas, so hopefully this will become common in motorhomes.

I also think American had an absolute brilliant (best) idea, and Newmar has followed similar suit. IMHO the industry has been WAAAAY to inadequate in this. Some folks just plain would not make it out of the coach if trapped in the back. Most people are not gymnasts! As we have seen in some videos out there.....(some of you have witnessed a fire in person), time is of the essence. Without babbling on, in short, I believe what is in the above photo should be made mandatory industry wide. It's life and death, and it worries me to be sure.

W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 05:47 PM   #19
Winnebago Camper

This is something I've never thought about, and kudos for starting this thread. I have a drivers door and two emergency exit windows. But I've never even opened the emergency windows. Should I open them and lube the seals and hinges, or would that screw something up with the frame and seals? Seems I should know a little more about these features.
B Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 06:43 PM   #20
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
This is something I've never thought about, and kudos for starting this thread. I have a drivers door and two emergency exit windows. But I've never even opened the emergency windows. Should I open them and lube the seals and hinges, or would that screw something up with the frame and seals? Seems I should know a little more about these features.
Watch Mac's videos and yes open then and make sure they work ! Your life could be in the balance !
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire, journey