Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-31-2016, 07:19 PM   #21
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Dubya View Post
This is something I've never thought about, and kudos for starting this thread. I have a drivers door and two emergency exit windows. But I've never even opened the emergency windows. Should I open them and lube the seals and hinges, or would that screw something up with the frame and seals? Seems I should know a little more about these features.
Watch Mac's videos and yes open then and make sure they work ! Your life could be in the balance !
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:10 PM   #22
Winnebago Owner

To add to this discussion & also a tip from Mac the Fire Guy, make it a habit to close your bedroom door when you go to bed. It will buy you precious seconds should there be smoke/fire on the other side of the door. The heat & smoke will have a barrier to getting to you.

I know this is something I never thought about as 99% of the time is just my DH & me so I saw no need to shut the door....plus it'd be 1 more door I'd have to open on my way to the bathroom in the middle of the night. But the small inconvenience of having to slide the door open more often is much preferred to letting smoke/fire have easy entry to the bedroom.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 08:22 PM   #23
Winnebago Camper

Our emergency window hinges upward...and it is heavy. I cut a 1" pic pipe about 26" long to use to prop the window up. Makes it a lot easier to get out. We keep it in the closet slide door track. Keeps the closet door closed if not locked good in plastic retainer.

The picnic table is a good idea, and using the bedspread on the aluminum window frame is a must.

DW and I did a dry run last spring after we bought our new to us rig. Yep, little far down, but doable. I go first (6-2") then guide her out and down. All feet first, tummy down.

Tags
fire, journey