Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Bedroom engine access-Meridian 40U

Have looked for screws with an Awl, Magnetic probe, 1/4" magnetic spheres.
Winnebago has some generic drawings, but none match what is in my coach. I need this access to replace The "Coalescing filter in the top of the engine Crankcase ventilation). Cummins says that it is to be replaced after 3rd or 4th oil change. I have the new filter but need to access the top of the engine to replace it. I have the 2011 Meridian 40U. Have any of our wise members opened this compartment - See attached photo of my area
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3290.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	129500  
lwasouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

I think you can get to it from under the coach. Freightliner in Gaffney SC did mine 2 years ago from underneath.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:15 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
Winnebago has some generic drawings, but none match what is in my coach. I need this access to replace The "Coalescing filter in the top of the engine Crankcase ventilation). Cummins says that it is to be replaced after 3rd or 4th oil change. I have the new filter but need to access the top of the engine to replace it. I have the 2011 Meridian 40U. Have any of our wise members opened this compartment - See attached photo of my area
I see from the previous post that Gaffney did theirs. We don't have a lift soooo... I don't know if the closet floor access will get you to the filter. If you call the Freightliner support # they will help you find it.

I just took a look at my deck. It looks like it goes under the bed. If that has to come out to change that filter that would be really bad.

I'll be watching this thread.

Rick Y
Old 06-10-2016, 08:17 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Freightliner didn't put the floor over the engine. Winnebago did. Call Winnebago.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

Thinking more on this. After all the services were done, the tech took me into the shop and under the coach to show what he had done. I am pretty sure he told me had removed one or more connections and loosened the air dryer and rotated the dryer in order to change the cartridge.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:49 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Thinking more on this. After all the services were done, the tech took me into the shop and under the coach to show what he had done. I am pretty sure he told me had removed one or more connections and loosened the air dryer and rotated the dryer in order to change the cartridge.

The air dryer does contain a coalescing filter but I believe the OP is changing the filter that's part of the positive crankcase vent system.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Right, I mis-read that. Sorry
Old 06-11-2016, 06:58 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Look for a screw or two under the lip of the floor board. Remove them and lift up. It's a tight fit on my Maridian.

Also, there three different engine covers. One under the bed. One under the floor between the bed and closet and another under the closet floor.

In mine I found two screws in the floor between the bed and closet. No screws in the closet floor, just pull up the storage well cover to get a grip of the closet floor.

Lift the foot of the bed to access this opening.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-11-2016, 06:43 PM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Ditto on dc8cappie. I actually had an "L" bracket under the lip of the step screwed to the sidewall(riser). Speaking of the 39K, I needed to get my vavles adjusted and they could not effectively reach the number 6 cylinder valves because it was under all the sheetmetal. My FL guy said that, by law, the coach manufacturers have to make the top of the engine accessible. So, dc8cappie, if you didn't already know, there is a sheetmetal panel that unbolts under the floor in front of the closet and further toward the front(of coach). The seams are caulked in with black caulking, but it does come out which gives full access to the valve cover. Just FYI.
Old 06-12-2016, 06:10 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

Thanks doorguy, had my valves adjusted at Freightliner Tampa three years ago.
Old 06-12-2016, 08:01 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

Just a note about the floor plan and design of the '11 Journey/Meridian... The basement air is gone and the deck/basement design has major changes. I believe the cover in the OP picture is over the transmission. I'll crawl under the coach later today to verify this thought.

Rick Y
Old 06-12-2016, 11:07 AM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwasouth View Post
Let me try this again with pictures. I have the DEF system on my coach. I took these pictures through that access door. I hope this gives you a better picture of what you are looking for. Note that the engine top is under the closet floor access panel.

I hope this helps.

Rick Y
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	129941   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine1.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	129942  

Name:	engine2.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	129943   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine cover.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	220.9 KB
ID:	129944  

Name:	coach rear.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	270.7 KB
ID:	129945  
Old 06-12-2016, 07:55 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

Don't you love that? Screw plywood covered with carpet down and no way to get to the hatch under neath. My 04 journey had great access under the bed. This 07 Vectra though older than your has the same arrangement in the bedroom. I see coaches with removable hatches in the bedroom steps, Monaco, Newmar but not Winne, too easy. I guess they have so much confidence in Cummins you will never need to get in there. I had to replace an exhaust manifold a month ago and while I could get through the closet I needed in under the step to get to the manifold. So here is what I did. I yanked really hard on the plywood on top of the step. It opened a small gap and then I used a sawzall with a metal blade to cut the screws on the front. That gave me enough play to pull the plywood off, the two rear screws pulled out. I hated doing that to a new to me expensive coach but the only other alternative was to remove the carpet to try and find the screws. Once it's off you can take the 4 bolts out of the metal cover underneath and take it out. Providing the cut out is large enough. Mine was but just barely. When I was done, I bought two decorative cam locks and installed them on the sides of the step to hold the top plywood piece on. Oh, I had to remove the bed too because the step went under the bed frame skirt. I have altered the step by cutting the plywood off that went behind and under the bed frame. I'm not walking under there so it did not need to go under like it did. I can get the step off now without removing the bed. Something to think about because if you plan to keep the coach I guarantee you or someone you are paying hourly will be in there again. I wouldn't want to pay a diesel mechanic $120 an hour to disassemble a bedroom. They won't be as careful as you.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	241.8 KB
ID:	130040  
Old 06-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSteele View Post
Don't you love that? Screw plywood covered with carpet down and no way to get to the hatch under neath. My 04 journey had great access under the bed. This 07 Vectra though older than your has the same arrangement in the bedroom. I see coaches with removable hatches in the bedroom steps, Monaco, Newmar but not Winne, too easy. I guess they have so much confidence in Cummins you will never need to get in there. I had to replace an exhaust manifold a month ago and while I could get through the closet I needed in under the step to get to the manifold. So here is what I did. I yanked really hard on the plywood on top of the step. It opened a small gap and then I used a sawzall with a metal blade to cut the screws on the front. That gave me enough play to pull the plywood off, the two rear screws pulled out. I hated doing that to a new to me expensive coach but the only other alternative was to remove the carpet to try and find the screws. Once it's off you can take the 4 bolts out of the metal cover underneath and take it out. Providing the cut out is large enough. Mine was but just barely. When I was done, I bought two decorative cam locks and installed them on the sides of the step to hold the top plywood piece on. Oh, I had to remove the bed too because the step went under the bed frame skirt. I have altered the step by cutting the plywood off that went behind and under the bed frame. I'm not walking under there so it did not need to go under like it did. I can get the step off now without removing the bed. Something to think about because if you plan to keep the coach I guarantee you or someone you are paying hourly will be in there again. I wouldn't want to pay a diesel mechanic $120 an hour to disassemble a bedroom. They won't be as careful as you.
OUCH!!!!
Old 01-30-2017, 09:17 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Did you ever get your engine cover off?
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 09:40 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253381
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine