Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-30-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement Air 2010 Itasca Ellipse

I've searched the other posts about basement air issues but saw none that addressed the year and model I have. Just wondering if all the issues others have had with older systems and other models apply to my 2010 Itasca Ellipse.

The system does not appear to cooling very well. The outside air temp today is 96 and the inside temp is 82. The system runs continously. Thermostat is set at 78.

Anyone know if the 2010 Ellipse:
1. Has the same air duct spearation problem at rear of coach
2. Compressor 2 only kicks in with 10 (20) degree temp separation on inside temp and thermostat setting
3. Is RVP the system manufactor
4. Does this year / model have the same PC control boards or does anyone know of a problem with this year / model PC control boards.

Thanks everyone!
philbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

The 2008 and 2009 have Coleman Mach units on them. On my 2008 Tour I have not noticed the type of situation you describe with engaging the second compressor. Fifteen to twenty degrees below the ambient temperature is about all you can expect from any AC system.
gmanatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
Winnebago Master

I agree with the 15/20 degrees below outside temp being about the best I can expect on my Ellipse. Especially if I'm sitting in direct sun. With grandbabies near Phoenix it make it tough in the summer.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:44 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Basement air

We have 2006 Meridian that has taken us all over the USA and Canada. The only places that we had trouble with AC not keeping up was in Utah, Nevada and Arizona during the summer months. In Vegas it 100F at 1am!!!

We spent last week in Miami where it was 95F. Our AC kept us below 80F. Open all your awnings, let it get really cold at night, find a shady site.

Other than that we'll need to find RV Resorts with 100amp service and add an extra two tons of AC on the roof.

Good Luck,
Bob and Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 06:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Basement AC

I forgot to add, that we had dark window screens made for our driver's side window, windshield and door window. This really helped a lot, lot, lot. You might want them for all of your windows. Also, adding insulation between the inside cover for you roof hatches and screen. I know our skylight allows a lot of heat into the RV too. I'm going to look for some kind inside cover.

Let us know if you find something that helps keep you cool.
Bob and Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
I have a 2008 with the same problem in TX. When it's really hot outside, it's not all that cool inside.
Old 05-31-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Never had that problem with my '05 Journey. Practice pre cooling. Insulate windows the best you can. If you have to you might try a water spray on the sunny portion of your mh. You can also try puddling water under your coach.
MaverickBBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:15 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

Your #2 compressor should be coming on long before a 10 to 20 deg differential between tstat set temp and indoor air temp. I think 2 deg is normal for these systems.

When the outside temps are high, a situation often develops where the coach heat gain vs ac cooling is balanced between set temp and 2 deg above. The tstat only calls for compressor #1, but one compressor cannot bring the temp down to the set temp, but can maintain just above the set temp. The #1 compressor will run continueusly.

I am working on a mod to lock in the #2 compressor as long as the #1 is running, similar to the heat mode. I had a diagram using 2 12v relays, but I think I left it at home when we departed for the summer. I will see if I can recontruct it.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

According to RPV data your AC is operating properly if you find the following

Turn on your AC and after a half hour or so to let it precool you take a themometer and measure the air coming from the nearest duct to the return air inlet or AC unit .
You then measure the temp. of the air at the return air inlet by the filter.
You should have a difference of 15 to 22 deg between the two.

I use an inexpensive infra red device. I normally get a reading of about 20 deg. difference.

Have you changed your filter lately? they get dirty pretty fast .
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 08:52 AM   #10
Winnie-Wise

Yes your 2nd compresor should have a 2 deg. dif. and then kick in.
Give RPV a call, they are quite helpful.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Contact Us
Contact us by regular mail, e-mail, phone, or fax. We're easy to reach, so don't hesitate to call if you have questions or concerns.

Service & Support Service Center LocationsSearch Online E-Mail [email protected] Phone Number(316) 832-4357 Fax Number(316) 832-3417Sales Information E-Mail [email protected] Phone Number(316) 832-3468 Fax Number(316) 832-3493Corporate Information Phone Number(316) 832-3400
(No Support Available) Web Sitewww.airxcel.com Street Address3050 N Saint Francis St
Wichita, KS 67219</SPAN>
TTN
RCtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:24 PM   #11
Winnebago Master

Absolutely agree about the 2nd compressor kicking in at far less than 10 degree difference ...I have always believe mine was 3 degrees.

My experience is that if your Winnie basement unit cannot keep your rig below 80 degrees or very close to it, something is not working properly and/or there are ducts leaking cold air outside.

Quote:
I agree with the 15/20 degrees below outside temp being about the best I can expect
The original comment stated "AMBIENT" temp (that is inside at the return air vent, NOT outsite the rig) rather than "OUTSIDE" temp...

Either way, I have heard this statement over and over on several forums, and it is totally false with my Winnebago, and several others I know personally. We have not had a problem keeping the interior of our coach at 80 or under with outside temps up to 110. It does help to use what shade you can from awnings, vent covers, etc and to start early before the rig is really hot ...but we have cooled ours down relatively fast even when picked up from a service location where it was sitting out in the hot sun.

I have measured the outlet air temp several times (sometimes for those who doubt what I am telling them). I use an infrared thermometer, measure the return air temp at the inlet vent, and the outlet air temp at roof vents from one end of the rig to the other. With only one compressor running (verified by the EMS amp display) the outlet temp is apx 20 degrees lower than the inlet temp. With both compressors running (verified by the EMS amp display), the outlet temp is apx 40 degrees lower than the inlet temp. Believe it or not ...that's the way it is ...
Old 06-01-2010, 03:10 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Thanks Paul. I'm going to have to take a closer look at mine. So far I've pretty much just thrown the switch and then not been surprised when I couldn't get the coach to under 80 in extreem heat. I need to bone up on the little gem and probably look for things like leaky ducts.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote