Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2016, 04:00 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Basement AC (2000 Journey) _ where do you get serviced?

Hi,

I have a 2000 journey and last year the (basement) house AC struggled to keep up with the weather. Is there some service that can be carried out to the unit? Also where have you had it serviced? Spoke to a couple of local shops and they don't touch them.
Any thought gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
nij_tp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:08 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

If your near Lake Havasu City, AZ, contact 3T's RV.

I would first check the ductwork leading from the basement unit for air leaks. Located between your back cap and rear wall. They are prone to splitting the taped seams.

Also check your interior coil clogging from dirt or debris.

Let the board know where you are located and I'm sure you will get some recommendations.

Best of luck.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #3
Winnie-Wise

I'd suggest you turn the AC on, put a thermometer at the return air intake and note the temp. Then after running the AC for several minutes put the thermometer at the first air outlet. The temp difference should be about 18 degrees - if it is close to that your unit is doing about all it can. As mentioned air ducts in the rear cap can have leaks. It is basically the same AC unit as a household AC but in an RV. If mechanically inclined you can pull it out and take it to an AC shop and they can service it. Not much can be done when it is in the RV.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

there are 2 compressors in those units. If you have an ammeter on your unit and both compressors are working it should show over 20 amps. If not one compressor is not working.
Old 03-29-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heating man View Post
there are 2 compressors in those units. If you have an ammeter on your unit and both compressors are working it should show over 20amps. If not one compressor is not working.
You can actually hear the second compressor kick on if you listen carefully. The second kicks on shortly after the first. If you have a Powerline Energy Management System like many Winnebago and are plugged into 30amp service, the readout will show the amp draw and you will see the second one kick in. It does not work on 50amp because for whatever reason they assumed if you have 50 everything will work so you don't need to know. Make sure there is power to the unit on both feeds and a breaker is not tripped.

We are one of the lucky ones that had the split duct behind the cap. After removing a couple panels in the engine compartment it was easy to fix. We have also replaced the OD blower motor and fan, carrier bearing and thermostat. We also had the freon charged by a friend in HVAC after we removed the unit first.

This is very helpful to remove the unit http://www.rvforum.net/miscfiles/Bas...attredirects=0

All that said. We are in south Florida with daytime highs in the mid or upper 80's right now. Our unit runs almost constantly during the day and barely keeps up. It helps to lower the blackout shades and have the awning out if that is the sunny side. Also close the front curtains. All that kind of sucks when you would like to actually look outside. Some people go as far as to have a second a/c unit installed on the roof.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:06 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

I just installed a roof top and what a different. Run the roof top during the day and basement at night.
garyclegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:21 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nij_tp View Post
Hi,

I have a 2000 journey and last year the (basement) house AC struggled to keep up with the weather. Is there some service that can be carried out to the unit? Also where have you had it serviced? Spoke to a couple of local shops and they don't touch them.
Any thought gratefully received.
Thanks in advance.
As previously stated, this is basicly a residential air conditioner, but you must remove it from it's position and slide it out onto saw horses or something the same height as the unit when it is dropped from the RV.
This thread may prove quite informative: http://www.irv2.com/forums/f101/a-c-...of-158086.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

We just replaced ours. I can't recall who makes them, maybe Coleman.. but if you google Mach AC or something to that effect you will find the website. They have a list of local mechanics, you can also email them for a list. I ended up with a mobile guy. He came out and checked it out and offered to take it out and bench test it at his shop and do repairs, which was his recommendation. Ours was 15 years old and I think any HVAC unit has served its purpose at that point.

By the time we added two service calls and potential parts, replacement was more cost effective.

There are some post on how to remove it and upgrade the fan bearings and add pins to all the unit to be recharged, it is designed as a sealed unit. There is an upgraded control board that is available. Again, by the time you add it all up my new unit with install was $3,500, I paid 12k for a residential unit in my sticks and bricks 12 years ago, I felt like I got a bargain. My new unit works great.

If your in the Atlanta area, I'd be glad to give you the guys number, he is a mobile repair guy but AC is his forte.

Good luck either way, it took me almost a year of researching before I stopped trying to fix it and replaced it.
LookAtUSNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 09:24 AM   #9
Winnie-Wise

Hello, it looks like you live in the Sioux Falls, SD area, I visited Airxcel's website (link here) and searched find a service area, looks like two are in the 10 mile area of Sioux Falls.

Spader's RV Center (605) 339-3230

Mobile RV Service (712) 296-5036

Or, you can contact Airxcel and get all the technical data for your AC unit and contact a residential / commercial HVAC company and explain what you have, you might be able to work with them to get it in proper working condition.

If you would like to diagnosis the unit by your self then search on this site for "Basement Air" or "Basement AC", I'm sure there are many posts on this subject.

If you are in the northern NJ area let me know, I would he happy to look at it for you.

Link
Old 03-30-2016, 09:39 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

ABC Bus removed ours last year and repaired a broken pipe that caused the second compressor not to work. They did good work at a reasonable price.

Locations | ABC Companies

We used the one in Faribault, Mn.
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 07:27 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Thank you all for your replies. Yes it would have helped if I put in a location, doh! Although based in Sioux Falls we winter in southern NH, yeah I know, not what most people would do. Yes it's a 50amp.
DancinCampers what do you mean when you say check the interior coil?

Thanks again
Old 03-31-2016, 07:29 AM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Bug512 we are in NH but coming through NJ to SC in May (down and up). Then again we are coming to NJ and NY in June for a couple of concerts (Trenton and MSG)
Old 03-31-2016, 07:41 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Bug512 we are in NH but coming through NJ to SC in May (down and up). Then again we are coming to NJ and NY in June for a couple of concerts (Trenton and MSG)
I will message you my contact information. If you are in the area maybe we could meet up and I can take a look. Mahlon Dickerson Reservation is a nice county park to stay at. Link here
We are traveling for a week in early May.
Old 03-31-2016, 04:38 PM   #14
Winnebago Master

The inside coil is the evaporator in the cooling mode. It is usually accessible after removing the return air filter. I'm not sure how your bedroom is configured. On my 2003 Adventurer, the bed was on the slideout on the passenger side. With the slide extended, Lifting the bed, there were removeable panels, allowing the replacement of the filters, which were installed in floor cutouts. Removing the filter allowed viewing the coil with a flashlight.

The coil is part of the basement unit, so will be located in the rear passenger corner. In your unit there may be a nightstand.
Old 04-01-2016, 06:46 AM   #15
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
The inside coil is the evaporator in the cooling mode. It is usually accessible after removing the return air filter. I'm not sure how your bedroom is configured. On my 2003 Adventurer, the bed was on the slideout on the passenger side. With the slide extended, Lifting the bed, there were removeable panels, allowing the replacement of the filters, which were installed in floor cutouts. Removing the filter allowed viewing the coil with a flashlight.

The coil is part of the basement unit, so will be located in the rear passenger corner. In your unit there may be a nightstand.
Winnebago must have put these in differently by model and floor plan. Ours is on the passenger side however the bedroom slide is on the driver side. To access the filter there is a panel under the cabinet (or washer/dryer) in the right rear that pops out. Easy to change the filter but you can not see the coil from there. The only way I can figure to access our coil is to remove the unit. Something we have done a few times but would like to never have to do again.
Old 04-03-2016, 06:29 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

My rv is a 2000 journey 36G there are no slides and when you lift the bed and remove the access plates all you see is engine
Old 04-03-2016, 06:41 AM   #17
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
My rv is a 2000 journey 36G there are no slides and when you lift the bed and remove the access plates all you see is engine
I think there should be an access somewhere to change the filter. Ours is a 14"X20"X1" It is right over the top of the a/c unit. That does not mean yours is in the same spot though. They seem to fit stuff in wherever they can squeeze it in RVs.
Old 04-03-2016, 08:34 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I believe yours is somewhere near the passenger side nightstand. Look for a grill for return air.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:02 AM   #19
Winnebago Camper

The cabin intake filter is on the passenger side and is a 14x20x1. I was wondering how to get to the evap coo to clean it as described in earlier replies, sorry if I wasn't clear.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:45 AM   #20
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancinCampers View Post
The inside coil is the evaporator in the cooling mode. It is usually accessible after removing the return air filter.
I think this is how we got on the filter location. In our case you can't see the coil by removing the filter. The unit may have to be partially removed to get at it.

Tags
journey, service