Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2018, 05:22 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Backup camera?

my back up camera has failed...it just flashes sometimes when I turn on the key...any ideas? Know any place to suggest I take it for repairs?
2007 Journey 34h
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7136 (1).JPG
Views:	165
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	170725  
buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 06:49 AM   #2
Winnie-Wise

If you opt for replacement instead we have always chosen the Rear View Safety camera systems;

https://www.rearviewsafety.com/
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 09:36 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It all depends on the technology of your system but, in general, replacement will be the better, and possibly the most economical solution. This is especially true if you can utilize the existing cabling and definitely true if your monitor is a CRT.
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Anyone help with removal of monitor for back up camera? Don't see any fasteners?
buford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 04:31 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Just had a similar problem found one pin in connection at the camera broken. Replaced both female and male conecters found on Amazon.monitor has 4 machine screws in the back you have to remove top of the dash.mine was a Sony that is no longer made conecter is a 6 pin
Elevater man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 05:23 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

We had to replace our camera and found RV Cams Inc in Baton Rouge La to be very helpful and good prices. Phone # 877-378-2267
Dirtydirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 06:10 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I once bought a cheap BU camera system off Amazon, then discovered these cheap wireless units operate on 2.4Ghz, which is the most common frequency for such electronics made in China. Expect interference with anything operating on that frequency.
That BU camera system would work fine in my metal garage, but when I backed out the camera would flicker and often quit working.
I really did get what I paid for__.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA. "We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:27 PM   #8
Winnie-Wise

I agree with Ray, "you get what you pay for." My View came with a monitor and camera but the quality is not what I was used to. I added a new system where the side and rear cameras are on all the time. Major improvement. Here is the system:
https://www.rearviewsystems.com/ultr...704qhdztvk.htm
Old 12-26-2018, 10:18 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Buford, we likely have the same camera. Climb up and remove the three screws holding the camera housing on. Some engineer designed that thing to collect dirt.

Give the camera and its wiring a good cleaning with plain water and a stiff paint brush. Rubbing alcohol will help with oily deposits. Check wiring for worn, cracked insulation. You should be able to pull several inches of wiring out of the run and check it too. Don't tug on it too hard.

Mine appeared to have been repaired before. The bullet connectors a couple of inches away from the camera had corroded. Replaced them and got a picture.

Checked the monitor end connections as well. Hard to reach without opening the dash. Removed the radio and reached up through that opening. Mostly blind, but I pulled the connectors on and off several times to break any corrosion varnish. YouTube has dozens of "training videos" on removing auto radios.

If that preventative maintenance doesn't do it for you, the closest mechanics, to you, that I can recommend are LeSueur Automotive in Eagar, AZ, Springerville RV in Springerville, AZ or Springerville Auto Wreaking in Springerville, AZ. (Might be a little snow in there right now.)

There is nothing magic about this system just because it is on a Class A. Any auto mechanic that can fix the system on a car can troubleshoot/replace our system.

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:16 AM   #10
Itasca Meridian 36G

05 meridian 36 g

I have found parts for my sony cams at https://www.tadibrothers.com/products/categoryproducts/backupmonitors, Also as mentioned. Check connections and corrosion. My brothers rear cam had a corroded pin in the connector, we cleaned and sealed and worked ever since. I have had connections at the monitor vibrate loose. Good luck!
gewilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 01:26 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Take a ride to Forest City, Let the factory guys repair or replace your camera
billbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 04:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by buford View Post
my back up camera has failed...it just flashes sometimes...snip
2007 Journey 34h
If by 'flashes' you mean that the picture comes on the screen and then immediately goes away, I don't believe that is a bad camera. Sounds like something I'd grab the users guide and read up on to see if that symptom is in there.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camera