Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Awnings

Anyone ever have awnings put on at the GNR? Did they do good?
Meridian42e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

What is the "GNR"?
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 10:52 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Waited to see what GNR is, also.

However, last week we replaced our slide out toppers and one shade awning. Intend to do the rest of the awnings in the fall. Got our replacements mailed to us, post paid in about a week from ToughTops.com. Very pleased with the quality and price. My son and I (44 & 72) installed them in about 30 minutes per awning. (First took longer -- learning curve.) One person pulls product into the slots, the other person simply holds up the excess material. In retrospect, could easily have been done with my wife.

Shopped around here in AZ, best was product plus 2 men x 2 hrs. ToughTop product cost came in at about 80%. And we saved four hours labor.

No commission here, just a tightwad happy cheap didn't turn out expensive!

Fair Winds and Following Seas
Oldchinahand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:04 PM   #4
Winnebago Master

What kind of awnings do you need? Think the GNR edition of WIT news usually has an ad for exterior mounted window awnings. Think installation is reasonable at the GNR and have seen them installing on coaches. Think you purchase thru Winnebago and can supervise their installation as they come to where you are parked. I would not have a concern re the quality of the installation as they wouldn't be back every year if their work was shoddy.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:18 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

The GNR (Grand National Rally) is an annual rally held at the Winnebago Rally Grounds in Forest City Iowa - this year from July 23-28. Typically attended by 1200 plus coaches and towables. Features many seminars by manufacturers, factory tours, and vendor displays along with the 2019 products. A good opportunity for new owners and service is available at the factory if you need it. Rally grounds open on July 17th for attendees. Check with WITCLUB.COM for full details and program - you can download the GNR edition of WIT News for full details, booking info, etc, etc!
Old 06-08-2018, 05:35 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

Thank you very much for the info on the GNR.
al1florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Thanks BobMac for explaining GNR - I should have spelled it out originally.

The GNR is offering a free proshade with purchase of 2 or more window awnings so I thought I would ask. I know of one Winnie Owner that had them installed at the Forest City service center and he was dissapointed as the arms were mounted crooked. His may have been the exception so I thought I would ask.

As it turns out, the awning prices are good, but the labor is a little steep so I think we will just do it ourselves before we go.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meridian42e View Post
Thanks BobMac for explaining GNR - I should have spelled it out originally.

The GNR is offering a free proshade with purchase of 2 or more window awnings so I thought I would ask. I know of one Winnie Owner that had them installed at the Forest City service center and he was dissapointed as the arms were mounted crooked. His may have been the exception so I thought I would ask.

As it turns out, the awning prices are good, but the labor is a little steep so I think we will just do it ourselves before we go.
I believe they are installed at the GNR by the manufacturer's staff/contractors. They are installed at your site in the Rally grounds. They are not installed at the Winnebago Service Center.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:00 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
I believe they are installed at the GNR by the manufacturer's staff/contractors. They are installed at your site in the Rally grounds. They are not installed at the Winnebago Service Center.
When I talked to her she said they would call us in, and we would have to break camp and go over to center to get them installed, which I wasn't too thrilled about because I lose the house for the day and no real escape from the heat

I got it worked out. We are just buying the awnings and will pick them up at the Rally and I'll install later.
Old 06-09-2018, 08:14 AM   #10
Winnebago Master

Think you made the right decision. During the GNR, the Service Center is so busy and I suspect the necessary time to get is right might not be there. You can also not "supervise" the installation as you could when installed at your site.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:25 PM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Yes we did and yes they are good
Rick FLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:41 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by al1florida View Post
What is the "GNR"?
Grand National Rally
Honwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 05:48 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

Quote:

I was not impressed with the one I went to a couple of years ago. If a vendor is there I would imagine they would do good work and offer a special. Don't have Winnebago do it. The techs are all over worked during the rally.

Tags
awning