Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2019, 03:18 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Exclamation auxillary batteries RV dc lights not work

hi. winnie the pooh 2001 journdy dl. loosy rv. but we try to keep it fixed.
removed all 3 aux batteries from the trey. there are two sets of black and red high current cables that to into the back of the converter/inverter.
with batteries disconnected i went to the control panel, push engine battery level 12.7v ok, and push the aux batter ..0.00 as expected. but you push the grey tank, water, propane buttons and the LED's light up!! so they are on the engine battery?

so. connected one new 12vdc battery to the long cables with the 60amp fuse. went in and no DC lights!!! so how can you work off grid. the popouts work. no voltage shown on the AUX battery indicator either 0.00v. so i disconnected front cables and connected the two rear cables. those seem to be the INVERTER cables. but no way to turn on the inverter from the control panel.. again no DC lights, and no aux voltage shown when you press the test button. i have a brand new converter/inverter...

could it be wired wrong from the batteries?

could the control panel aux battery and dc lights not work directly from the batteries?

anyone know where the 12v is supposed to got TO!

thanks
joe
joeastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 03:51 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

no DC voltage in rv lights, update on issue

hi..winnie journey dl. 2001.

if i connect both red and black battery power cables..

to one battery at the same time...then the DC voltage show up in
the control panel, and the lights work.

SO> the issues seems to be that the people that installed the CONVERTER/inverter
have swapped some of the power cables that go into the RV or the converter side?

so now i need to figure out which of the red/blacks are swapped?

one short black goes to the converter... and the red cable long cable with 60amp fuse inline goes into the converter.

the other black cable (long cable) disappears under the RV?behind the batteries..and the short red goes under to some header.

only when all 4 are connected to a battery does the 12v dc work inside the RV?

so is there a 12vdc RELAY?

the shore power is 220 relay from shore to generator.

is there some 12vdc RV interior relay that has to be pulled in by the

batteries before 12v show up interior????

any one know.

i cant see that the wires they took off the OLD CONVERTER would be
the same ones now conneceted.. so maybe it is wire wrong way back when.
Old 06-09-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

winnie 3 batteries to Converter wiring

hi
we'll all seems that my original question is why winnie wires thiings the way
they do..no one probably knows why!

so we have 3 batteries in parallel. inner + middle + outer.
so what they did was run negative black short wire to the inner negative post and to converter, and the long red positive to the outer front post battery which goes thorugh a 50amp fuse say then to the inverter. these 2 wires seem to be the normal 12vdc input
to the RV, popout motors and the control panel, and lights, and water pump. these wires
also seem to be used if you use INVERTER. but you can use inverter load unless you have shore 220ac or generator 220ac applied, because the control panel will not light up until ac is applied to the RV!!

On top of this the charger has to charge the batteries via these 2 wires mentioned above.

that sound wrong... so you cant off grid use the INVERTER directly to get 110vac at all.

why there is a long negative wire and a short red positive wire that only go under
the chassis to some sort of PADS. these wire i have no idea. dont know what the heavy 0 guage wires do that go under the chassis area.? mystery.

that is the update. joe

Tags
batteries, light, lights