Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2016, 10:00 AM   #1

Antifreeze 2013 Journey/Meridian 42E

Anyone know how many gallons I should expect to pickup to winterize a Meridian 42E?
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I used 4 gallons
XBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:15 PM   #3

OK, Thanks Chip
Old 09-13-2016, 06:42 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom Ant View Post
Anyone know how many gallons I should expect to pickup to winterize a Meridian 42E?
I have always use air to blow water out of the lines and then just used antifreeze for the traps
Forza Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:17 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Brad, just a heads up, if your residential fridge has the ice maker/water in the door and is equipped with it's own water filter, the filter will take the color out of the antifreeze, so don't wait for the water to run pink in the door dispenser. How do I know? Don't ask.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:29 AM   #6

D-Lindy- good tip! Thank you. I did not know that and who would have ever thought. This is my first residential fridge, and whatever the last guy did was wrong because the solenoid was frozen and broken when we bought it. (Camping World missed that part, but then they were probably the ones that winterized it). I used to be able to drain the ice maker on my Norcold, but this one with the ice in the lower drawer isn't going to be easy. Do you just wait for it to make ice?

Forza Tom - how do you do your wash machine? I'm not sure air would do it. I've always blown down, then followed up with antifreeze so I could get the wash machine and dishwasher on our last rig. This one has a macerator toilet, ant I don't think I could do that with air either.
Old 09-14-2016, 04:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Brad, I'm overly cautious I blow out the lines n then pump antifreeze thru the lines. Yes you can.blow air thru the washer. First set the water temp hot n listen till you hear the air, then set water temp to cold n repeat.
I have to have the water filter in place to do the fridge so once the filter has antifreeze in it you can't use it anymore excent to keep it n use next year when you winterize again't.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #8

Well, I gave it my first shot and used 8 gal and still ran out. I have to look at improving this, as I like to winterize several times a year. My biggest consumers:

hose reel
Macerator toilet
whole house water filter
under-sink filter
fridge filter
fridge cold water dispenser tank
Just a generally big coach with two bathrooms

I can fix the hose reel by disconnecting it and blowing it out. I'll put a cap on the plumbing side with a valve. I originally blew it out, but didn't know antifreeze would come back through.

No fix I can think of for the macerator toilet, it is just a hog

Whole house filter I can replace with one that has a bypass valve.

I can't believe the Kitchen Aid fridge and sink won't allow water through without a filter. Our home Samsung will. Maybe they make a dummy plug.

Tags
journey