Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-25-2018, 04:52 PM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Amp-L-Start vs isolator?

I am wondering the difference between the two? Can you not install an isolator the same way and have it do the exact same thing?

I just need my engine battery to charge while my cabin batteries charge. Both sets charge while driving, but I need the engine battery to charge while sitting. My engine battery keeps dying and is now toast.
tommymsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #2
Winnie-Wise

Do the amp-L-Start or the Trick-L-start. I have the Trick-l-Start and have not had a low battery since. I have used isolators before to charge two different batteries from the alternator but house batteries are different.
Tucsontoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 10:17 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommymsw View Post
I am wondering the difference between the two? Can you not install an isolator the same way and have it do the exact same thing?

I just need my engine battery to charge while my cabin batteries charge. Both sets charge while driving, but I need the engine battery to charge while sitting. My engine battery keeps dying and is now toast.
I'm not sure I can explain the difference but I installed the Amp-L-Start to solve the issue you are reporting with success.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:06 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

Yea, I was just looking to save some money. I've seen some people say an isolator does the same job for $15. Just wondering if the extra cost is just in the name brand.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:36 AM   #5
Winnie-Wise

I am a retired engineer and have learned over time, do not re-invent the wheel. The cheep isolators do not have good diodes in them and you can end up with all batteries dead. The Amp-L-Start is just an upgraded isolator with modifications for the RV industry. It is proven to work. Yes you could find good isolators but you wil find the price to be about the same $50-$80.
Tucsontoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 06:25 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I installed amp l last year best money I've spent, keeps them charged.
Cataska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:00 PM   #7
Winnebago Owner

I ordered the Amp-L-Start. Any advice on where to install it? I see under the step above where the batteries are, an access panel that says "isolator" and "relay". What one should I connect it to? I wish I could put it inside next to the inverter. The display on the Amp-L-start is so nice... it's a pity not to see it.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #8
Winnebago Master

On newer Winnebagos the Precicion 10021000 Battery Isolation Manager is being used. It makes this VERY simple to accomplish.

It has a integrated heavy duty contactor that ties the Chassis and Coach Battery sides together that can handle 225 amps continuous. Prevents the annoying clicking of the contactor that simpler and or older designs do. Bi-directional charging. When one side has charging voltage and other side needs a charge the manager ties together. But is intelligent, it uses more than just voltage to determine when to tie together, to make sure batteries do not get overcharged. Input for an emergency start dash switch to manually tie together. Has ignition and genset inputs that it uses to make sure it does not tie chassis and coach batteries together when both engine and generator are running to avoid charging conflicts.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Battery Isolation Manager with Contactor

Available on Amazon or from Winnebago ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery-Isolation-Manager-Manual-RevA.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	377.9 KB
ID:	169347   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery-Isolation-Manager-Manual-RevA-2.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	249.3 KB
ID:	169348  

powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 11:18 PM   #10
Winnie-Wise

X2 regarding the Amp-L Start. I have had mine for 5 years. Very reliable. Install it and forget about it.
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:15 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I've had a Trik-L start installed in my coach since 2011. I've never replaced the chassis battery. Best money I've ever spent.