Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2019, 05:38 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Air Leak 2004 Winnebago Vectra 40AD

Where do I start.... There appears to be a decent leak in our air system which works both the air ride suspension and the brakes. In the last 6 months it appears to be getting worse and I can actually hear it when I turn off the coach and it takes a couple of hours to drop from 125psi to 0 which is way too fast. I have crawled underneath twice to listen but I don't want to be under there while it's dropping and not supported so I haven't had the chance to use soapy water and look closely for the leak. When the coach is running it builds up to 125 psi within a few minutes and stays there while driving. But as soon as it's off....the pressure slowly starts leaking until it hits 0. My question is.....where do I start? I've searched online for some sort of trouble shooting process but everyone has a different, unique issue. I know these systems are pretty complex so I don't want to start just tearing into it. I also found that the tank and some of the main lines where it sounds like the leak is coming from is in the center of the coach tucked way back in there and difficult to get access to. I've also heard about pulling the "rip cord" and releasing the air and water out of the tanks but I can't find the valve on my coach. Has anyone with the same, or similar coach, had to trace down a leak like this? Where do you start??? Thanks!
aw2657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:56 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

I thought my leak was coming from outside and then found out it was the dash gauge. The fitting the line fed onto was cracked. It was a known problem with Freightliner chassis back in '08. Could be the same for '04.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:05 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thanks Wayne I read that on another thread. I just haven’t heard anything coming from the dash and one had it apart a few times working on the Sony rear view monitor. But i will definitely check it out. Sounds like the leak is under the chassis behind the front wheels but can’t be sure yet.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
Winnebago Watcher

Hello aw2657,

I have the exact same issue on my 2004 Vectra. Were you able to come up with a solution? Obviously, I would be very interested in it. Thank you.
LouRez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 05:09 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

Had the same issue on my 09 Journey with an air leak on the right side instrument that displays air pressure. Had to replace the unit.
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:36 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

No I still haven't figured it out. I've pulled all three tank drain valves and let all of the air out of them. Then I pumped it back up and could still hear it leaking. I narrowed it down to the rear of the two tanks but they are jammed way up between the frame and the floorboards so they are tough to get to. I sprayed a bottle and a half of soapy water and could not see any traces of bubbles. There a few different connections up in that area as well as a bunch of air lines all wrapped up in zip ties. I tried moving them around to stop the air leak or make it worse but no luck. I have a feeling it might be one of the connectors up in that area but they are very difficult to get to let alone change one out. I will continue to keep trying and will report back if I find anything.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:49 PM   #7
Winnebago Master

I guess I should look into this with my '02. When I park, I set the jacks, deploy the slides and don't even consider whether or not the air is escaping. Because I can't see any effect maybe?

Why does it matter if the air leaks out overnight? Isn't it suppose to?

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, winnebago