Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Question After going to the show we're interested in a Winnebago Brave

I'm interested in hearing some opinions from owners about the 2015 Winnebago Brave/Itasca Tribute. How has your ownership experience been? Are there any warranty issues that you've had? Have they been taken care of? How does it drive as far as rattles, sound level? Is the power good enough? Avg mileage? Is there anything that bugs you about it? How good of a deal might I be able to get on one? I'd also appreciate some advice on what to look out for in negotiating with a RV dealer. I've purchased many cars in the past but am very green when it comes to RV dealerships.

We went to the RV show over the weekend and this new Brave model is the first of any that we're seriously considering. The quality appears to be good with this one. I have read up on some of Winnebago's literature, they tout their super structure, making many of their owns parts etc. I like the basic style and design as well. No swirly graphics or frilly curtains inside nor obnoxious fabrics. Just a good, clean basic feel to it that really appeals to us. From what I've been able to gather Winnebago appears to be a more respected brand than many others.

No offense to any of the owners out there but a couple years back we were looking at the Thor Ace. Then we took it out for a test drive. We chose not get an ACE as it was so loud that we couldn't have a conversation while driving it. And after taking a more in depth look at it we were not comfortable with the level of quality it had. We're looking forward to driving the Brave in the next few days to see if it's different (hopefully better) in that respect.

Any and all comments would be appreciated from this newbie...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0906.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	78628  
The Randall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

There is at least one thread on here about a couple who just bought one. Look for it. I'd stay away from the other manufacturer myself 😜
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBilly View Post
There is at least one thread on here about a couple who just bought one. Look for it. I'd stay away from the other manufacturer myself 😜
Yep, read about the shocks and alignment in that thread.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

We're quite happy with our 2015 Brave after the shock absorber has been fixed and the suspension rattling has finally stopped - thanks to independent my mechanic.

The good things:
  • Build quality overall is very good
  • Tons of storage in comparison to our previous Solera (which is not a surprise as it is only a 24' Class C)
  • Holds enough water for 2 people to boondock a week
Things that could be better:
  • The vent cover on the outside for the oven is rattling when driving down the road like mad (using duct tape to close it up now)
  • Pre-wiring for 'modern' TVs (HDMI should be standard today)
  • Batteries are on the small size (2 group 24)
All Gas Class A use pretty much the same chasis - Ford F53 - which defines your driving capabilities, etc. The last weekend we took it out for our second trip and keeping speeds a bit down and not using the cruise control during hills the noise is actually quite ok. As for gas mileage it is still to early to tell but will pretty much be the same as any other Class A with this type of chasis/engine.

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka View Post
We're quite happy with our 2015 Brave after the shock absorber has been fixed and the suspension rattling has finally stopped - thanks to independent my mechanic.

The good things:
  • Build quality overall is very good
  • Tons of storage in comparison to our previous Solera (which is not a surprise as it is only a 24' Class C)
  • Holds enough water for 2 people to boondock a week
Things that could be better:
  • The vent cover on the outside for the oven is rattling when driving down the road like mad (using duct tape to close it up now)
  • Pre-wiring for 'modern' TVs (HDMI should be standard today)
  • Batteries are on the small size (2 group 24)
All Gas Class A use pretty much the same chasis - Ford F53 - which defines your driving capabilities, etc. The last weekend we took it out for our second trip and keeping speeds a bit down and not using the cruise control during hills the noise is actually quite ok. As for gas mileage it is still to early to tell but will pretty much be the same as any other Class A with this type of chasis/engine.

Reiner
Do you tow a dinghy?
Old 11-10-2014, 02:16 PM   #6
Winnebago Camper

Normally we tow a Suzuki Samurai - which tows flat. Haven't done that yet and probably it will be until our Christmas trip until we do. Work is getting in the way....

I don't expect to notice any difference with or without. Even our smaller Solera (about 11000 GVWR with a 180Hp Diesel) didn't notice the Samurai hooked up to it.

Reiner
Old 11-11-2014, 07:33 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

We drove a Brave today and the vent from the micro/oven was rattling just like you said lol. We drove it in the Columbia Gorge which was experiencing pretty strong gusts. It was however tolerable from a sound standpoint. We were pleased with it overall.

We went ahead and ordered a 27B, with blue ext/int. Crossing my fingers that she'll be good to us...

We've been looking for years and have been really apprehensive about the quality of RV's and all the problems I've heard and read about them. Out of all of them it appears that Winnebago has a decent reputation.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Congratulations on your choice!

Reiner
Old 11-12-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
Winnebago Camper

Well not quite the deal I was looking for. I'm continuing to shop. If anyone would be comfortable sharing their deal with me via PM or in this thread I'd appreciate it....

Tags
brave, winnebago