Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2005, 06:54 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

Hi all just got you MH home yesterday and started to play with it.
The power panel that it has a powerline is the display on it going to show the amount of amps that the MH is using? ours stays blank and the little button that says 30amp/20amp when pushed did not do anything am i doing something wrong or do i have a problem.

Thanks
Mark
2000 Winnebago Adventurer
Old 08-04-2005, 06:54 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Hi all just got you MH home yesterday and started to play with it.
The power panel that it has a powerline is the display on it going to show the amount of amps that the MH is using? ours stays blank and the little button that says 30amp/20amp when pushed did not do anything am i doing something wrong or do i have a problem.

Thanks
Mark
2000 Winnebago Adventurer
Old 08-04-2005, 07:17 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

Hi Mark,
Here how it works. The current sensor used is for single phase power only. If you are connected to a 20 or 30 Amp. power source (that's single phase), the display will indicate the amperes currently used. Since the system can't know what the size of the source breaker is, you have to switch to 20 Amp. if that is what your connection has a breaker for. If you plug in to a 50 Amp. source, that is split phase and the metering circuit isn't wired to read the current of a split phase so the indicator is blank and the lights for 20 and 30 Amp. are out. With a 50 Amp. connection, you don't normally worry about Amps. anyway. Also note that the meter does not indicate inverter output current if you have an inverter installed since the inverter is connected down stream from the metering circuit. Hope this answers your question.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:49 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Great description! I might add that the system only sheds loads in the 20 or 30 amp shore power mode. When you run the generator the EMS will not shed loads but it will still display the genset load on the ammeter.
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for the reply I think I have a problem then becase as I write this my unit is pluged into my homes power and I know that my house would not have a 50 amp cir. at best for my home I might get lucky and have a 30 Amp service but I belive that the service is a 20A service at 110 volts any idea were I should look to see what I need to do to fix this or should I just take it back to the dealer after I return from my 1st camping trip with it this weekend.

Mark
Old 08-04-2005, 09:17 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Mark, when you are plugged into shore power, do you have power at any of your 110V outlets inside the coach? Do the lights that are next to the fridge, hot water heater and fan on the management panel light up? Does your rig have 30amp or 50 amp service?Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:38 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

Mike the pannel has all 4 lights that come on off to the right of the display. a green light for 50A service comes on under the gensat light is and above the 30A and 20A lights are. Yes I have pover to the unit just pluged in two family radio chargers in the over head drivers compartment where the sat system would go. I do not have sat tv yet so used the outlet that was in there.
Mike sorry the unit has a 30A cord

Mark
Old 08-05-2005, 11:27 AM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Mark, If you are plugged into a normal everyday house socket (three prong) you are in a 15-20 amp You should have an adapter on the end of your powercord as a 30 amp cord wont plug into a reg house plug. If yours is 50 amp the wire is almost the diameter of a garden hose and will have 4prongs (again not fitting house plug with out adapters). if I plug mine in at home 30amp lights up and I have to step it down to 20 by pushing the button. On your power panel you'll see how much amps are being used. If the water heater, microwave, or a/c is on you see a higher draw than just a couple wallwart chargers. Let me know how it's going.

1997 Jeep Wrangler
hotrod 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 12:47 PM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mark Bento:
The power panel that it has a powerline is the display on it going to show the amount of amps that the MH is using? ours stays blank and the little button that says 30amp/20amp when pushed did not do anything am i doing something wrong or do i have a problem. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Your Powerline Energy Monitor is dead!
Stan Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 01:24 PM   #10
Winnebago Camper

Mark - I had the same problem with my 03 Brave. I took the powerline panel off and found that there was a wire that came unplugged from the circuit board. Plugging the connector back into the circuit board was all that was required to fix it. I hope this helps.

Pete B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 08:33 AM   #11
Winnie-Wise

Question:
I'm plugged into a 50Amp shore pwr receptacle (have 50A svc in my rig). Because of a campground pwr pedastal glitch at my site (lightning strike before I got here), I'm using the pedastal from one site over. The CG owner said there's not 50A pwr at that receptacle (which has 20, 30 and 50A plugs), so I'll get less than 50A (maybe 30A). The other guy using the same pedastel is plugged into the 30A plug. My OnePlace shows 50A, with no amps displayed (as normal w/50A svc). And I cannot select lower amp svc (30 or 20)(normal). Have not had any problems & am using A/C (#1 & 2), elec wtr htr, microwave, etc.

Does OnePlace know (sense) it's 50 amps, or does the 4-prong plug tell it that it's 50 amps, whether or not it's really 50A?

I ALWAYS!! use SurgeGuard and chk elec w/Good Governor meter before plugging in.

Thudman (obviously not an electrician)

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 02:19 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

Thudman, my understanding of the Intellitec EMS is that it does indeed sense there is 50A available. However, if the 50A is from a shore connection, it will not display the amps on the LED. (See MrTransistor's post above). If you have your generator running, it will display the amps you're using on the LED. Sounds like your panel is doing what it's supposed to do.
Old 08-08-2005, 08:33 AM   #13
Winnie-Wise

Troth thx. This morning I found there were 3 users on same pedastel: Me on 50A, neighbor on 30A (they have a 30A rig); and another neighbor plugged in w/two electric stoves into two 20A plugs. Result was the 2/20A plugs and my 50A plug were fried. So I had to move to another site (more fun).

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Old 08-08-2005, 10:18 AM   #14
Winnebago Camper

Your 50 amp plug has 4 pins - L1, L2, Neutral, & Ground. If your Power Mgnt Console sees 120 volts from L1 to Ground and L2 to Ground, and 240 volts from L1 to L2, it goes into 50 amp mode. It has no idea how many amps are available to the 50 amp plug.

When you use a 50 - 30 amp adapter, L1 & L2 are tied together and the power manager sees zero volts between L1 & L2 and 120 volts between L1L2 and Ground. Again it has no idea how many amps are really available (30, 20 or 15) thus the 30/20 button.
ohiorvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 03:12 PM   #15
Winnie-Wise

ohiorvers:
Thx for the explanation.

Thudman