Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adventurer full wall slide not closing completely

My 2013 Winnebago 32H Adventurer full wall slide out is leaving a 1-2 inch gap in the lower right side corner (the driver's side) when it is closed. The top of the slide is completely sealed.
I have tried some of the extending and closing tips I found online but it will not seal completely when it closes. As you move to the front of the coach the gap gets smaller and it is fully sealed at the front of the coach on both the top and bottom areas. The smaller bedroom slide on the passenger side closes completely. Any do it yourself fixes for this or is this a job for the professionals?
CArver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:49 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

CArver, here is the link to the manual. Try the manual retract on page 8.
https://www.lci1.com/assets/content/...ago-Manual.pdf
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:23 PM   #3
Site Team

Thanks for posting that Grant. The full-wall slide on my 2017 Adventurer is showing a tiny bit of this too. The top fits flush but the bottom is out about 1/3rd of an inch. That slide sure creaks and moans loudly going out or in.
Old 11-23-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Thank you for sharing the link! I will give it a try. Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-23-2017, 04:58 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

creativepart, with the slide out, from the outside look at the bottom of the slide at all of the roller tracks and make sure none of the not rolling.
With the slide in look as best as you can between the slide floor and the coach floor for any debris. Have not heard anything about lubing the new type slide rails.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
Winnebago Camper

UPDATE: Full wall slide not closing anymore

After several different tries I was able to adjust the slide using the control panel and was able to bring the lower right corner in about 1/2 an inch. It is not completely sealed but much better than before. I also discovered a piece of rubber weather stripping stuck under one of the rollers. After removing the piece of rubber the slide moves in and out without any tremors as before.

The real issue appears to be the angle or tilt of the slide out wall. It is very tightly sealed at the top when closed both front and back but I cannot bring the lower right portion in any closer to the coach wall because it makes contact with the top first and then stops. I certainly have learned much about my RV in the past few days. Thanks for all of the help. I love my 2013 Adventurer 32H but my local dealer has one 2017 Adventurer 38Q left on the lot. Does anyone know if the 2017 model was updated with a newer slide mechanism? I am also sorry to hear that Winnebago is not making the Adventurer series anymore!
Old 11-25-2017, 11:10 AM   #7
Site Team

The 2017 has Power Gear slides. I'm not sure but a 2013 might have Schwintech slides. It if does I think you'd find the Power Gear slide mechanism is better.

If you get serious about the 2017 38Q La Mesa RV in Albuquerque had one in stock and lowered the price to $139,995. It was well optioned too.

http://www.lamesarv.com/2017-Winneba...TURER-MX101504
Old 11-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #8
Site Team

The 2017 has the 6-speed transmission. This alone is a huge upgrade over the 2013 model.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We had a 2010 35P and the full wall slide (drivers side) not closing on one side leaving a 1 to 2 inch gap.....did all the resets, and instructions given us by Lazy days, the problem was still present. Finally brought it in under extended warranty and Lazy Days did the fix.......as it turned out the middle carrier support for the slide was broken. They said it was because of the poor design, and it was not re-enforced....the repair was get the slide back up to proper height....re weld the bracket and add some heavy gussets. The repair was permanent...never had another problem
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
Winnebago Watcher

Had the same problem on our 2015 35P. During the drive home, the slide sure made a lot of squeaking and rubbing sounds. After parking I found the bottom rear of the full wall drivers side slide was open about 1 inch. When I tried to open the slide, the top rear of the wouldn't move at all. Closing the slide back up left the 1 inch gap. Problem turned out to be a broken bearing carrier on the top rear gear. This was the second time the same part broke in about 6 open and close cycles of the slideout.

The dealer was able to get Winnebago to cover the cost of replacing the Schwintech mechanism with the Power Gear. No squeaking or rubbing on the slide during the ride home. Hope to get more than a season out of the new mechanism.
Goshawk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 03:48 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshawk22 View Post
The dealer was able to get Winnebago to cover the cost of replacing the Schwintech mechanism with the Power Gear. No squeaking or rubbing on the slide during the ride home. Hope to get more than a season out of the new mechanism.
Our 2017 came with the Power Gear slides. Opens and closes with a lot of squeaks, bangs and booms. And, the bottom is out 3/4" while the top is flush with the sidewall. BUT it always opens and closes.

We're headed to WBGO in Forest City this month to have this and a short list of other issues looked after.

We bought ours new in July 2017 so I made an appointment in Iowa within a month or two of buying it for a late April factory visit. JUST IN CASE - now we have a list of 4 issues and we have 3-days reserved at the factory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	slide.png
Views:	174
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	169362  
Old 08-03-2018, 03:55 PM   #12
Winnebago Watcher

creativepart,

I have the same year and model Adventurer with the same driver's side slideout problem, were you able to resolve it? What did they have to do? On mine, it tilts just enough that the bottom of the cabinet under the sink has now started to scrape on the vinyl floor tiles. I'm in Norther California so a trip to IA is out, I'll need to find a local dealer and knowing how Winnebago fixed it may help them.
ParadisePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 04:25 PM   #13
Winnebago Master

ParadisePhil, have you checked the Junction City, Oregon Winnebago factory. I understand they do service there.
Old 08-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #14
Site Team

Yes, I went to the factory for a day and a half with a short list of issues. The slide was one of the top ones and they realigned the rails top to bottom. More importantly, they put two new rollers under the slide in the kitchen area. It's made a big difference in the way it works now. Much smoother and quieter operation.

Junction City, OR would be the place to go. Just call and make an appointment. It might take many months to get worked into the schedule. If you have a service contract they'll work with your service plan to pay for the work. If you don't have a service contract you'll have to pay for the service - but in my very limited experience they take care of some of the repairs at their cost. Especially if while under warranty took the RV to a dealer for work on the problem and have proof of it being reported during the warranty.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:19 PM   #15
Winnebago Watcher

Thanks all,

Junction City, OR, is only about 7 driving hours away so that would work. Unfortunately, my Adventruer is a couple months out of warranty. I noticed a smudge on the floor when we bought it but I didn't think it was a big problem. This last month during a trip through British Columbia I noticed scratches on the floor tile. If the fix includes adding new rollers, that sounds like a design problem. Perhaps they will cover at least some of the cost.

I noticed some people put lubricant one their roller axle bearing to improve performance. How does one get access to the roller bearings?
ParadisePhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:16 PM   #16
Winnebago Master

creativepart, did they add new rollers under the sink area or replaced two of the old rollers?
Old 08-03-2018, 10:27 PM   #17
Site Team

Added two new ones. At least that’s what the tech in charge of slide repairs told me at the factory. And the slide moves much smoother. I don’t know how many rollers it came with originally or where they are located.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:44 AM   #18
Winnebago Master

I realize this is an older thread, but once again we are having problems with the full wall slide on our 2013 Adventurer. We are in week 2 of an 8 week trip and would like to get the slide working again if at all possible.

The slide stopped after moving out about 6" before we left. Since the batteries are 5 years old and the engine wasn't running I passed it off as low batteries. I started the engine, fully retracted the slide and started over. This time it went out without any problems. Later in the day I started the engine and fully retracted it again with no problems. The first stop on our trip I tried to extend it, but only the rear would move. The front motor is turning but that end of the slide does not move.

Reading some of the earlier posts there is mention of inspecting the rollers. Our slide has failed in the closed position. Is it possible to inspect the rollers with the slide in. There is sheet metal at the top of the storage compartments below the slide which prevents any inspection from below.

The coach was at the factory in 2015 for slide repairs. At that time I was told one new roller was added under the kitchen island and one at the rear was removed. In addition all the motors gears and racks were replaced

Reading through the manual it looks like I can put the controller in manual mode and engage each motor independently. My next step will be to attempt this and determine whether or not the front motor gears are engaging the racks.

Any other insight on this problem would be appreciated
Old 09-07-2018, 11:59 AM   #19
Site Team

So sorry you have this issue. I think everyone with slides worries just about every time they extend or retract the slide that something will go wrong. And, I mean no matter what the brand of RV, the brand of the slide mechanism or the cost of the RV.

First thing I noticed is you do not run the engine 100% of the time you operate the slide. I know on newer Adventurers this is mandatory and I would presume it was also needed on your RV. Start the engine every time - in or out.

Do you have the underfloor i.e. through the frame style slide on your RV's full-wall slide? Most of the older Adventurers I've see do have that kind on their Full-Wall Slide. Though there were some years with Schwintec slides. Both kinds can have motor/gear issues. Though the Schwintec slides are more prone to problems.

It can be a big help to call Winnebago Customer Service. I did that when I had a slide problem and they gave me some helpful advice that led me directly to some loose wiring on the controller and it fixed my problem.

Calling Lippert (LCI) - assuming they are the slide manufacturer for tech support can also be a help.

And, slide problems are common enough that a great many service centers and even mobile mechanics are well versed in fixing such problems, too.

Best of luck!!
Old 09-07-2018, 01:54 PM   #20
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
So sorry you have this issue. I think everyone with slides worries just about every time they extend or retract the slide that something will go wrong. And, I mean no matter what the brand of RV, the brand of the slide mechanism or the cost of the RV.

First thing I noticed is you do not run the engine 100% of the time you operate the slide. I know on newer Adventurers this is mandatory and I would presume it was also needed on your RV. Start the engine every time - in or out.

Do you have the underfloor i.e. through the frame style slide on your RV's full-wall slide? Most of the older Adventurers I've see do have that kind on their Full-Wall Slide. Though there were some years with Schwintec slides. Both kinds can have motor/gear issues. Though the Schwintec slides are more prone to problems.

It can be a big help to call Winnebago Customer Service. I did that when I had a slide problem and they gave me some helpful advice that led me directly to some loose wiring on the controller and it fixed my problem.

Calling Lippert (LCI) - assuming they are the slide manufacturer for tech support can also be a help.

And, slide problems are common enough that a great many service centers and even mobile mechanics are well versed in fixing such problems, too.

Best of luck!!
We have the "through the frame" slide out system. Our owners manual "recommends" running the engine while extending or retracting the slides. In the past I haven't had any problems extending or retracting when either hooked to shore power or when the engine is running.

I suspect there may be either something interfering with one or more of the rollers, or one or more has broken. I would like to inspect them, but I believe the only way to do so is to move the lower outer seal out of the way with the slide fully extended.

Currently the smaller bedroom slide operates normally, and the rear of the full wall slide will move. The front of the full wall slide remains stationary even after the rear has moved out 3" or more. I am hesitant to continue attempting to move the slide for fear it might become jammed and cause further damage.

I have reset the motors on numerous occasions, but as of yet have not been able to move the slide far enough to resync the motors.

Tags
adventurer, slide, vent