Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-18-2009, 09:48 AM   #21
Winnebago Owner

Greg I agree wih you propane has been used as a safe fuel for years. I have travled for over 45 yrs with no problems with leaving it on. by the way propanes C3H8 has a boilng point of -43.6f . good luck and safe travles
Old 12-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #22
adj
Winnebago Camper

When we are on the road, we have drinks and lunch meat in a small cooler. We don,t go into the fridge at all until we stop for the night. We will run the gen an hour or two a couple of times during hot days to refresh the fridge. We have never run with the propane on, however, after reading FDchief's comments, we might rethink that.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 09:53 PM   #23
Winnebago Owner

I recently spoke to a fire-fighting professional about this thread and he said that in a severe accident, the lpg lines can and will rupture, representing a potentially serious threat to the safety of the rig's inhabitants and the people on the scene. Comparing the flammability of propane to gasoline is academically significant but it's not a reason to leave the propane on while driving. Unless you need the propane for something extremely important, its simply safer to turn it off while on the road.

Jack
Old 12-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #24
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackm View Post
I recently spoke to a fire-fighting professional about this thread and he said that in a severe accident, the lpg lines can and will rupture, representing a potentially serious threat to the safety of the rig's inhabitants and the people on the scene. Comparing the flammability of propane to gasoline is academically significant but it's not a reason to leave the propane on while driving. Unless you need the propane for something extremely important, its simply safer to turn it off while on the road.

Jack
Your fire-fighting pro must not be up-to-date. Modern rigs have precautions such that, should a line rupture, a valve inside the tank will sense the rapid flow and close tight. Only takes a second and not really enough gas esapes to cause any harm.

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 08:13 PM   #25
Winnebago Owner

It sounds comforting but I haven't found anything to suggest that a leaking low-pressure line will seal itself. In fact, a leaking propane line is functionally no different than an open line (i.e. on a range) in use. In this scenario, there is no way that the system could make a distinction. Therein lies the hazard.

If you check the post of the person who started this thread, they experienced precisely this scenario. Maybe in a catastrophic break, there are safety measures but in some cases, lines just leak. And when they do, things can go bad real fast.

Jack
Old 12-20-2009, 11:03 PM   #26
Winnebago Camper

Wow, thats a scary situation and I'm glad it wasn't any worse that it was.

Breaking out a windshield is very difficult. Windshields are laminated glass NOT tempered glass as are all the other windows.

Tempered glass can be whacked with a hammer and it will shatter into little individual chunks. Side and rear windows of motor vehicles are made from this. Windshields are not made from this since the impact of a rock could cause them to break and shatter into your lap. Not good.

Windshields are made from laminated glass - two layers of glass bonded together with a thin layer of clear, tough plastic in the middle. Somewhat rock resistant and if you do get a crack, the plastic holds everything together. The tough center layer of plastic is what is so hard to penetrate. In an emergency like that, you basically have to break down as much of the windshield as possible to get it loose from the frame. Knocking out a side window and crawling out that would be a quicker exit.
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:14 AM   #27
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick-B View Post
Wow, thats a scary situation and I'm glad it wasn't any worse that it was.

Breaking out a windshield is very difficult. Windshields are laminated glass NOT tempered glass as are all the other windows.

Tempered glass can be whacked with a hammer and it will shatter into little individual chunks. Side and rear windows of motor vehicles are made from this. Windshields are not made from this since the impact of a rock could cause them to break and shatter into your lap. Not good.

Windshields are made from laminated glass - two layers of glass bonded together with a thin layer of clear, tough plastic in the middle. Somewhat rock resistant and if you do get a crack, the plastic holds everything together. The tough center layer of plastic is what is so hard to penetrate. In an emergency like that, you basically have to break down as much of the windshield as possible to get it loose from the frame. Knocking out a side window and crawling out that would be a quicker exit.
Good info about windshields but I was in the MH this weekend and envisioned it laying on its side. I am in good shape and I wonder if I could reach up eight feet open the window and then climb out. Now add panic and possible injuries and it makes won wonder what to carry and how to secure it to deal with the windshield.
mudpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote