Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Can anyone post a pic of their Adventurer 38J with their curbside slideout & awning out. Prior to order, DW is concerned that the awning will not "tilt down". She dislikes how a friends Phaeton sticks straight out.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 09:10 AM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Can anyone post a pic of their Adventurer 38J with their curbside slideout & awning out. Prior to order, DW is concerned that the awning will not "tilt down". She dislikes how a friends Phaeton sticks straight out.
MuckSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #3
LR
Winnebago Camper

I don't have a picture, but I do have a 2005 Adventure 38J. Your wife is correct, the awning does not tile down very much because of the interference from the curbside slide out. I do not know if later models that the 2005 model year have the same problem.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:49 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by MuckSavage:
Can anyone post a pic of their Adventurer 38J with their curbside slideout & awning out. Prior to order, DW is concerned that the awning will not "tilt down". She dislikes how a friends Phaeton sticks straight out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a Sightseer 34A, which is a triple-slide, including the curb-side kitchen and you can't lower it much due to the slide-out. I can't even pull the manual awning out, unless I do it before pulling the slide first, and of course I have to put the slide in to roll the awning back up. Should have come with an electric awning due to the slide; engineering at its finest. Even better is the entry door that opens approximately 120 degrees or so, and you have to use a funky rod to hold the door open. (The door hits the awning hardware.) I've tried to find a better solution but can't seem to find one. I've learned my lesson: my next MH will NOT have a curbside slide near the entry door...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #5
Winnebago Master

That is the tradeoff of having a slide in the patio. On an entry level coach like a Sightseer the cost point would not make offering an electric awning advisable as few would be willing to pay for it. On the Adventurer the cost could be better justified but it would still stick pretty much straight out on the 38J.

If you use your patio like I do you should really consider the impact of a patio slide before committing. I am with Richard on this one and had to get chairs set out and the awning deployed at the dealership to get the rest of the family to see the impact of the curbside patio slide. Now we are all on the same page, no patio slide for us.

We will stick with our 35U for a while longer.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:09 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Hi, Tim.

We have a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser 38J which is essentially the same as an Adventurer. I am sending some pictures to your e-mail address. Our awning extends straight out horizontally or parallel with the ground at first. It can be stopped at any point during its extension. At the end of the extension process it moves down or lower toward the ground. You should be able to see the difference in the photos. We have been happy with the awning and the shade it provides but the big difference is that is starts very high in the air and cannot be manually (or otherwise) lowered very low for the late afternoon sun.

Please feel free to contact me with any other questions that come up about your rig or the awning.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Doug Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 05:31 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

When we were shopping in '05 we were interested in the 38J. When we saw one in Harrisburg my wife and I both disliked the slide intrusion into the patio area. Also, the door does not open completely on the 38J.

We opted for the 38R which is basically the same coach, with a larger bedroom, except minus the 3rd slide. Unfortunately, the 38R was dropped early in the '06 production run.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:10 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Send a message via Skype™ to disup
This is a late reply to your 2/11 question we have a 38J and like every feature except the awning over the 3 window slide. The only fix is to purchase a drop down screen that will fit into the existing awning. My wife has more of a problem with the lack of shade from the awning extending almost straight out.
disup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:00 PM   #9
Winnebago Owner

We have a 06 38J and although the awning does not angle down, I have not found it to be a problem. We are in Florida and with the tinted windows and the ability to lower the sun shade on the windows, it has not been a problem.

What I love, is the 3 slides and having the TV in the curb side slide. so like all things, I guess it is a balance.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:22 AM   #10
Winnebago Owner

I'd suggest you open the awning regardless of floorplan. Mine sticks straight out and I don't have a curbside slide.

Inserting a sunshade is an option however if you use it and you anchor it down make sure you turn off the wind sensor.

Don't think manufacturer recommends this but I heard some say they keep the sunshade on and roll it up with the awning. I tried it but it's too bulky and it didn't close tightly. Another option would be to purchase an awning with the sunshade built in.

Can't remember which model it was but I did see one of the Winnebago diesel's that had the awning attched to the slide rather than coming over the top.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 07:44 AM   #11
Winnebago Master

All PowerPros go straight out.

I always try and park with the evening sun on the drivers side of the motorhome.

-Tom

Old 02-20-2008, 07:58 AM   #12
Winnie-Wise

the new Destination has the awning on the S/O which makes it nice. They also have a second 8 foot awning over the door and first window. nice setup
majfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 04:31 PM   #13
Winnebago Camper

I have a 38J and love the layout. The canopy however, is definitely a draw back. I have found that I can not leave it down at night or unattended. I woke up one morning with about 500 pounds of water in it Was lucky it survived.
Just a word of caution. Good luck with the 38J.

2015 Itasca Meridian 42E
LeonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #14
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LeonB:
I have a 38J and love the layout. The canopy however, is definitely a draw back. I have found that I can not leave it down at night or unattended. I woke up one morning with about 500 pounds of water in it Was lucky it survived.
Just a word of caution. Good luck with the 38J. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In 2005 Winnebago was installing awnings with a shorter fabric on all coaches with a patio slideout. Thus, the arms would not extend enough so that the automatic dump mechanism, on the rear arm, would operate.

-Tom
Old 02-26-2008, 11:59 AM   #15
Winnebago Camper

We have a 2005 Voyage 38J and it has the power awning also that really doesn't come down much, but, the sensor has always worked when the wind comes up and the water dumps like it should when filling with rain. In fact when we are camping with our horses, we put buckets in the spot where it dumps and have full buckets for the horses. The fact that it does not come down very far has never been an issue though for us. Our windows are sooo dark that nothing gets thru.
Chandler Bing is offline   Reply With Quote