Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2017, 11:05 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Adding Ham Radio to 2015 Vista 36Y

We are adding a Ham Radio to the coach and wondered if anyone else has figured a way to get 30 amps from somewhere. I know they has a CB power installed but not sure it could handle the extra amps. I wanted to add a new fuse to the panel outside below the slideout on driver side, but didn't know where I can enter the inside form the fuse area, with the power cable.

Thank you in advance
Ben

2015 36Y Vista
Wilsonville, Oregon
Benhicksphot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
Winnebago Watcher

I ran 10 gauge red/black zip cord from my FT-857 directly to the battery bank. Each leg has a 30A fuse. None of the internal wiring in my Tiffin was larger than 12 gauge and there were few places to pick up a good ground. The routing of the wire is the hardest part. I use Anderson Power Poles for all of my DC circuits with home made power distro panels.
W3DKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #3
Winnebago Owner

Best to go directly to the battery bank if possible. Did so on previous coach. On my current coach the house batteries are up front, and my radio unit is at the rear (Icom 7100 with separate radio and control head. Both AC and DC distribution panels are at the rear of the coach, so I connected there directly to the large DC buss feeding the breaker panel. Used a DC distribution strip with Anderson powerpole connectors.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 07:15 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Ham radio install

That's good news from both of the replies I thought that I would probably have to do that running straight from the battery area but was hoping there was an easier way now I just have to find an entry spot into the cabin area .
Old 06-16-2017, 07:56 PM   #5
Winnebago Camper

Any ideas of where to enter coach with wires?
Old 06-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #6
Winnebago Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benhicksphot View Post
Any ideas of where to enter coach with wires?
My HF and 2M antennas are mounted on the rear of the coach. As I commented above I use radios with separate radio unit from the control head. The radio unit and HF autotuner are inside a rear-most storage compartment. Antenna cables come down the ladder, up under the rear of the coach and enter the compartment with the radio unit. This makes for easy and short cable runs (minimizes cable loss​). The cable to the control head comes forward through the basement storage areas and enters up and through the floor into the living area.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:20 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Ok, i understand, I can't do the with my Yaesu FTM400xdr because the mic plugs into the base unit, not the control head. But you have given me ideas for future installs..
Old 06-28-2017, 05:35 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

Here's a follow-up to the routing of cable into the cab. I was able to locate a large junction of wires going into the fuse box area underneath the drivers area I routed cable into that area and to the radio and the other end was routed underneath along with all the rest of the wires to the battery's. Thankfully I did not have to drill any holes into the cabin area which is what I desired.
Of course I fused the cables at the battery and also it is fused with an Anderson fuse block.
Thanks to all for helping me find a good Safe route in the wires.

Tags
radio