Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2019, 03:44 PM   #1
Winnie-Wise

Added TV swivel mount to our Sunstar

Since I made the Z fold table for between the front seats, DW and I spend a lot of camping time up there.

But the TV was mounted flat against the wall visible from the couch and somewhat from the booth.

After some thought and research, I got a deal on the biggest scissors style full motion mount from Harbor Freight. It's for 37" to 80" TVs, but ours is only 32. I wanted the extra beefiness for the on-the road motion and vibration.

The Vizio TV had a custom made mount that covered a lot of the back. Winnebago attempted to make it stronger by using some really high strength tape to bond it to the back of the TV. I had to use a butcher knife to cut it loose.

I will say that their attempt wasn't all that successful. After 14,000 miles, the top of the back of the TV plastic has started to fracture.

Then, I opened the new mount box, looked at the instructions, laughed, and tossed them aside. There was very little in there that pertained to what I was going to do. I also tossed aside the big TV rails. I just needed the VESA mount.

There are aluminum supports of some sort in the wall to hold the old mount top and bottom. But there were not any in the middle where the new mount needed them. Off to the sheetmetal shop for a 10 ga 15" x20" piece of aluminum.

I drilled it and mounted it with the same self-drilling screws that the old mount was install with.

Then installed the new mount on the plate, and the TV on the mount.

Now it swings around so the TV is visible from the turned front seats.

You can see the remnants of the primer and tape that Winnbago used on the original mounting plate.

We're going out soon on a trip, so we'll see how bad the road vibration affects it and if we need to restrain it for travel.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 05:38 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Cool. Nice work. I really like the telescoping swing away mounting.

Now you should anodize the aluminum back plate...plastic pan with warm water and lye. Submerse the AL for a few minutes, remove and dry. It will retain the black color somewhat if done right. After it's dry, dip in vinegar to 'fix' it. To remove the black, dip in a tray of vinegar just after removing from the first tray. It'll wash off and have that anodized gray aluminum look. There are ways to add richer color to the brew too but I don't recall how ATM. Wear a passive respirator and keep kids and animals away. If done right, it'll match the swing arm and the TV.

Boom, anodized aluminum, all pretty and whatnot.

BTW, I also had ??'s about how to keep the TV from wandering while driving and what I came up with was just a couple screw in 'eyes' that I'd hook a bungee into when traveling that would hold it firm.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote