Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 AM   #1
Winnebago Owner

I deceided to run a new satellite cable to the bedroom TV. Giving up on my attempts to run the signal through just one cable for the entire rig. As I pulled out the lower drawers of the dresser to my amazement I found a Large Hole cut into the flooring that is open to the underside of the rig and hidden by the dresser. This hole is aprroximately 6" wide by 30"+ long. At the same time I noticed that the bottom of the dresser has a plastic 1"-2" diamond shaped mesh guard over an otherwise open slot that runs the lenght of the dresser face. This gives unimpeded air flow into the bedroom. (Why I never noticed this before is for another time.)
The plastic mesh is exactly like that which covers the intake of the basement A/C return cut into the bed frame. The Question of course is.......
Is this a forgotten filter location?
An unsued filter location?
A mistake?
Or is it a wily ploy of the LP gas industry to both freeze my tail off and / or to use copiious amounts of propane this winter. Not to mention the last two winters I was not aware of the gaping chasm in my floor?

Should I filter it somehow, Fill it in or leave well enough alone?

Thanks All
Ol'Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 07:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

I deceided to run a new satellite cable to the bedroom TV. Giving up on my attempts to run the signal through just one cable for the entire rig. As I pulled out the lower drawers of the dresser to my amazement I found a Large Hole cut into the flooring that is open to the underside of the rig and hidden by the dresser. This hole is aprroximately 6" wide by 30"+ long. At the same time I noticed that the bottom of the dresser has a plastic 1"-2" diamond shaped mesh guard over an otherwise open slot that runs the lenght of the dresser face. This gives unimpeded air flow into the bedroom. (Why I never noticed this before is for another time.)
The plastic mesh is exactly like that which covers the intake of the basement A/C return cut into the bed frame. The Question of course is.......
Is this a forgotten filter location?
An unsued filter location?
A mistake?
Or is it a wily ploy of the LP gas industry to both freeze my tail off and / or to use copiious amounts of propane this winter. Not to mention the last two winters I was not aware of the gaping chasm in my floor?

Should I filter it somehow, Fill it in or leave well enough alone?

Thanks All
Old 08-06-2007, 08:14 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

It's probably to allow heat into the basement compartment below. Got any tanks, plumbing, hook-ups, etc. down there?
tomsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
Winnebago Master

What Tom said. Some rigs run a small duct from the LP furnace to compartments with holding tanks while others use more passive means of letting some heat into those areas.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:26 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

I have a 2005 38R and I have noticed the grill air vent under the dresser.

I haven't investigated but I thought it was the RETURN air from some of the basement compartments air circulation system.

-Tom
Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:57 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ol'Joe:
I deceided to run a new satellite cable to the bedroom TV. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did you manage to get access to the second coax from the roof sat dish???

-Tom
Old 08-06-2007, 03:03 PM   #7
Winnie-Wise

Hi,
That grille opening is for the return air flow for the propane furnace. I have a screen under vanity cabinet and a big hole under drawer. Nothing goes there as it is for air flow return. I did cover my opening under drawer with a plastic mesh screen to stop mice from getting into coach as I did have a mouse problem but that is another post.
Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Okay gang,

Thanks for the comebacks. I'll buy it's a return for the propane furnace. The question still remains. Is it benificial to filter it anyway? For Tom-NC, Gee thanks...... critters hadn't even entered my mind until now!. So screening at a minimum!.
For Tom N; I don't have a roof top dish. I strictly use a portable one on a tripod. I have not changed my direct access since I went full time so I have 3 boxes in the rig now. I've connected one through the TV controller in the main coach and an individual box to the bedroom with a seperate cable to the dish. I have a 3 LNB type dish so all it is is a secon d cable to it.
That will do until the next time I get ambitious.

Thanks again Guys,
Old 08-08-2007, 07:01 AM   #9
Winnebago Master

I have an '05 38r and took some photos of this area this morning.

To me it looks like this also supplies some heat to the holding tanks area along with acting as a return for the propane furnace.

We rarely use the gas furnace so I would not try to filter this air return, plus a filter could slightly restrict the air flow to the tank areas. We use the heat pump for a chilly morning in FL.

-Tom