Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

5 months in and curiosities '08 Journey 39z

I've had the Journey for 5 months now and a few trips and some things leave me scratching my head. Maybe someone can shine a light on things for me.

1. Is there a way to adjust the temp on the hot water heater? Hot water comes out just shy of boiling.

2. Why is my rear view camera black and white but my side view cameras color?

3. Not a question but, i added the extenda-stay and have a quick connect hose for grill/griddle/fire pit. Best $100ish (including adpaters hoses etc) I've spent.
ACDNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:15 AM   #2
Winnebago Owner

Always helps to state the year and model.

On the hot water, there has to be and I need to look at that myself. It is hot!

Can't answer on your camera, wonder if it was replaced at one time.

On the extend a stay, there were some issues with support of the regulator after you install the extend a stay between the tank and regulator and I saw a post where one had caused the extend a stay to start leaking because of the vibration and weight of the regulator. The fix was an additional bracket to hold the regulator. Just an observation.

Enjoy that coach! That was one of the best series of Journey I hear.
Meridian42e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #3
Winnebago Camper

Thought my year/model was in my signature. Whoops

2008 Winnebago Journey 39z
Old 09-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

MY BAD! I'm such a hypocrite, as mine isn't either Just realized that. I was thinking of another forum. Fixed now
Old 09-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

Two questions answered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDNate View Post
I've had the Journey for 5 months now and a few trips and some things leave me scratching my head. Maybe someone can shine a light on things for me.

1. Is there a way to adjust the temp on the hot water heater? Hot water comes out just shy of boiling.

3. Not a question but, i added the extenda-stay and have a quick connect hose for grill/griddle/fire pit. Best $100ish (including adpaters hoses etc) I've spent.

(1) Water heater mixer is on the back of the water heater and is adjustable. Usually reachable down through an panel in the back right closet under your washer and dryer. There is a big red knob on top. It doesn't turn (factory epoxied) and has warnings on it. Ignore the warnings. Use your portable drill and gently drill the screw head off and remove the red knob. Now you can see the actual mixer. Use a couple open end wrenches and/or water pump pliers to adjust the mixer to the temperature you like. Replace the cover. Good to go.

2) Cameras have been changed out. They are in pods and are easy enough to do. Mine are color too.

3) My tank is on the frame under the driver side slide and I can't find anyone to install
some sort of system/plumbing to enable us to use external tanks. RV pro's say go to a propane pro. Propane pro's say go to RV pro's.
Old 09-09-2018, 08:08 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

You can purchase a adjustable thermostat for the Atwood water heater:

ATWOOD MOBILE PRODUCTS 93105 Adjustable Electronic Thermostat

http://www.walmart.com/ip/ATWOOD-MOB...stat/132310828

I upgraded my camera system so it would be all color. You’ll need to purchase a color camera for the rear. It’s worth it in my opinion.

We have the same year and model. I’d love to compare notes and tell you about my experiences. Not sure how to do a personal message but best to talk vs type.

I’ve upgraded many items on this rig...

JK
jdkskyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 08:07 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkskyking View Post

I upgraded my camera system so it would be all color. You’ll need to purchase a color camera for the rear. It’s worth it in my opinion.

We have the same year and model. I’d love to compare notes and tell you about my experiences. Not sure how to do a personal message but best to talk vs type.

JK
Nice.

What kind of camera did you update to?
Old 09-10-2018, 08:40 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

VOYAGER® COLOR CMOS IR LED CAMERA

VCMS155B

Voyager Wireless Backup Camera System - Highest Quality Back Up Cameras

Exact replacement that uses same mounting and wiring.

JK
Old 09-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #9
Winnebago Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdkskyking View Post

JK
Reducing the temperature of the tank will reduce your usable hot water. Putting a mixer valve on the back of the tank may be a better option. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...e+mixing+valve
Old 09-13-2018, 02:28 PM   #10
Winnebago Owner

We’ve had good luck reducing the water temp to a temperature that wouldn’t be scalding.
If we feel like we’re going to need lots of hot water we’ll use both heating sources.
We have grandchildren, didn’t want to take any chances.
The adjustable thermostat gives you options otherwise it’s full throttle.
JK
Old 09-24-2018, 08:57 AM   #11
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDNate View Post

I also have an extended stay. Can you provide any information as to the parts needed to hook up a grill using the RV tank? Much appreciated. Terry
terrylogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:56 PM   #12
Winnebago Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylogan View Post
I also have an extended stay. Can you provide any information as to the parts needed to hook up a grill using the RV tank? Much appreciated. Terry
It wasn't terribly difficult other than sourcing the correct adapters/hoses. While camping world had the extenda stay, they had next to nothing in the way of hoses and adapters.

I went to my local propane dealer and they pieced me together what I needed. The only thing I didn't get from there was a couple of quick connects, i picked those up on Amazon. I used the short hose included in my exteda stay and connected it to the top connection on the extenda stay. I routed that into the next storage bay with a quick connect(with shutoff valve) on the end.

I have a 10' hose with a male quick connect on one end and a female quick connect with valve on the other.

With adapters I mounted a male quick connect to the grill and griddle i keep in the motorhome.

Tags
journey