Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-02-2014, 08:56 PM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

42E Meridian/Journey is it a 4-season rv

I am wondering if someone has experience staying in this coach in the fall//winter//autumn season ? seeing how this uses LP to heat the coach along with heating water and cooking to I was wondering how long a full tank last? and also I was wondering how insulated this coach is I went to the web page and seen no info on that so I was curious if anyone has stay in this coach in cold weather ?? is it difficult to keep the coach warm or u have to use space heaters to help out with the electric fire place ? just curious to know these things
stevenchadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

Mine is fine
Old 05-02-2014, 09:56 PM   #3
Cat
Winnebago Camper

I think your answer is going depend on where are talking about spending winter?
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:56 AM   #4
Winnebago Owner

The newer units have heat pumps/AC units and by using the heat pump it will cut the propane usage, also running the hot water heater on electric will cut it more, of course this is dependent on being on a 50amp service.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
Winnebago Watcher

thanks d lindy

I was asking if the 42E could use year round ? if you wonted to stay in it in the winter like temperature from 18 to 45 degree I like to go to the smoky mt dearing the fall and autumn and stay at a family place in new York around thanksgiving and Christmas. I will have the chance to plug It in to use the elect. in these time I hope this was clear
stevenchadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:06 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenchadg View Post
I am wondering if someone has experience staying in this coach in the fall//winter//autumn season ? seeing how this uses LP to heat the coach along with heating water and cooking to I was wondering how long a full tank last? and also I was wondering how insulated this coach is I went to the web page and seen no info on that so I was curious if anyone has stay in this coach in cold weather ?? is it difficult to keep the coach warm or u have to use space heaters to help out with the electric fire place ? just curious to know these things

As was asked before , where are your four seasons taking place. ? I use mine in all four seasons and it is fine, however, I live in California. If you are in Minnesota , not so good !
I have traveled through some 25 degree weather and it was fine. You do have to run it on propane because the gas heat heats your water tanks.
You could also call Winny customer service and ask them. They are an excellent source of information.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
Winnebago Owner

The biggest consumer of propane will be your furnace. You have not told us where you will be spending these cold months, so is is impossible to answer your question. If you are going to winter in Key West you most likely will never use the furnace. If you are in International Falls, Minnesota the furnace most likely will never shut off.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Great Smokey Mt / New York State in temps 18 to 45 degrees will be fine. Based on our experience in a 36M, and depending on daily temps, and depending on what interior temps you're comfortable with, I would guess your propane could last in the range of 2 to 4 weeks. We (and many others) try to use a 1,500 watt portable heater to supplement the propane furnace whenever adequate electric is available. Always best to keep the propane furnace operational when in the 20's to prevent the basement plumbing from freezing.

As others have mentioned, also use electric for your water heater as well whenever possible. Some folks lower interior temps at night and use an electric blanket. Oh, and add two or three dogs in the bed, too

Hope this helps.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #9
Winnebago Owner

Boondocking with temps avg 25-35 degrees will use 3-3-1/2 gal of propane a day in our 34 foot coach. This is night time temps.
KA7UYZ NRA Endowment Member Retired Fire Service
dnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #10
Winnebago Camper

To heat the storage bays you will need to run your propane heaters
An electric heater inside the MH to keep you warm will not keep the bays from freezing
billbaldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:55 AM   #11
Winnebago Owner

I know you asked about the 42E, but there is not much difference betweent the
40u and the 42e other than length. IMO,! We were in n. Tx last dec. 6" snow and ice
18*. Emptied the LP.tank in a week. Coach was still not what I would call real warm.
Our heat pumps,won't work below 45*! We ran the fire place and the furnaces
24/7! After we bought 2 1500/750 wat oscaliting heaters. Was ok after that.
Like some one else said "4 season" ,where and what temps?
See sig.

Tags
journey