Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
Winnebago Master

For anyone interested I just had a 4 corner weigh on a fully loaded Vectra 40TD (front kitchen).

Front axle total 11732#
5947 left front 5785 right front
Front gawr 14320 leaving 2588 available

Rear axle total 20088#
9868 left rear, 10220 right rear
Rear gawr 20000, excess of 88 pounds

I have a GVWR of 34320 which leaves me 2500 pounds of carrying capacity.

It seems I was to concerned with overloading the front axle and put to many heavy items in the rear. It will be easy to move some heavy items forward. Time to reorganize!

At what point between the axles will the weight I move start to make a difference?

Jim

Our Webpage
jimandsue60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
Winnebago Master

For anyone interested I just had a 4 corner weigh on a fully loaded Vectra 40TD (front kitchen).

Front axle total 11732#
5947 left front 5785 right front
Front gawr 14320 leaving 2588 available

Rear axle total 20088#
9868 left rear, 10220 right rear
Rear gawr 20000, excess of 88 pounds

I have a GVWR of 34320 which leaves me 2500 pounds of carrying capacity.

It seems I was to concerned with overloading the front axle and put to many heavy items in the rear. It will be easy to move some heavy items forward. Time to reorganize!

At what point between the axles will the weight I move start to make a difference?

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 04-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #3
I helped | retired moderator

Any movement of items will have an effect, but the farther forward you can move heavy items, the bigger the change will be.

I had the same situation, and I reorganized the basement, putting the heaviest items as far forward as I could them, and the lightest items as far back as I could them.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Camper

Fully loaded, like ready to go for several months? I really appreciate seeing these #'s, we are in the early planning stages of picking a coach, and I want to bring my Harley, in addition to a toad. Trying to decide whether or not to hang the bike off the back, or trailer the whole shebang. Also, looking at the front axle #'s, moving much weight forward may exceed the legal weight limit for the tire size. (width) I was looking thru the sales brochure I have for the Vectra, but it doesn't list the front tire width. Here is the Washington State law that applies:

RCW 46.44.042
Maximum gross weights "” Axle and tire factors.

Subject to the maximum gross weights specified in RCW 46.44.041, it is unlawful to operate any vehicle upon the public highways with a gross weight, including load, upon any tire concentrated upon the surface of the highway in excess of six hundred pounds per inch width of such tire. An axle manufactured after July 31, 1993, carrying more than ten thousand pounds gross weight must be equipped with four or more tires. An axle carrying more than ten thousand pounds gross weight must have four or more tires, regardless of date of manufacture. Instead of the four or more tires per axle requirements of this section, an axle may be equipped with two tires limited to five hundred pounds per inch width of tire. This section does not apply to vehicles operating under oversize or overweight permits, or both, issued under RCW 46.44.090, while carrying a nonreducible load.

The following equipment may operate at six hundred pounds per inch width of tire: (1) A nonliftable steering axle or axles on the power unit; (2) a tiller axle on fire fighting apparatus; (3) a rear booster trailing axle equipped with two tires on a ready-mix concrete transit truck; and (4) a straddle trailer manufactured before January 1, 1996, equipped with single-tire axles or a single axle using a walking beam supported by two in-line single tires and used exclusively for the transport of fruit bins between field, storage, and processing. A straddle trailer manufactured after January 1, 1996, meeting this use criteria may carry five hundred fifteen pounds per inch width of tire on sixteen and one-half inch wide tires.

For the purpose of this section, the width of tire in case of solid rubber or hollow center cushion tires, so long as the use thereof may be permitted by the law, shall be measured between the flanges of the rim. For the purpose of this section, the width of tires in case of pneumatic tires shall be the maximum overall normal inflated width as stipulated by the manufacturer when inflated to the pressure specified and without load thereon.
RideSlow2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 03:53 AM   #5
Winnebago Master

We found out that getting a four-corner weigh was extremely difficult but it finally happened last fall (I posted our wheel weights on an earlier thread.) Good for you for getting it done.

When you shuffle your weight around, try to load each axle and wheel for the same percentage of its gross limit, i.e., load your rear axle to 90% and your front axle to 90% (or 85% or whatever) and so on.

Since we are not full-timing any longer (we will be part-timing), I will be unloading many things from the coach so we need to go through the process all over again so we can get our tire pressures correct.

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 04:11 AM   #6
Winnebago Master

RideSlow2004, yes fully loaded as we fulltime and this is our home 12 months of the year.It seems that the gawr was set at the same rating that front tires have combined. 7160 for single wheel operation.

John, I was able to get the 4 corner weigh at Orlando Freightliner while I was getting a ride height adjustment done. I had a bad left rear ride height adjuster. After they did the replacement and adjustment, I had an alignment done and then a weighing. The alignment was all I had to pay for. They have this cool VIS (vehichle inspection system)machine that checks class 8 trucks for loose or broken parts, brake effectiveness etc, it also weighs each wheel.

Jim

Our Webpage
Old 04-04-2007, 07:54 AM   #7
Winnebago Master

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:
--snip--
John, I was able to get the 4 corner weigh at Orlando Freightliner while I was getting a ride height adjustment done. I had a bad left rear ride height adjuster. After they did the replacement and adjustment, I had an alignment done and then a weighing. The alignment was all I had to pay for. They have this cool VIS (vehichle inspection system)machine that checks class 8 trucks for loose or broken parts, brake effectiveness etc, it also weighs each wheel.

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Jim - that's amazing considering even the old Frieghtliner service facility in Gaffney nor the Winnebago factory has weighing facilities. Maybe the new Gaffney service center has scales now. We might stop by Gaffney this summer for service - there is bound to be something that we need done

2005 Horizon 40AD, 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
John_Canfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 08:03 PM   #8
Winnebago Camper

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jimandsue60:
RideSlow2004, yes fully loaded as we fulltime and this is our home 12 months of the year.It seems that the gawr was set at the same rating that front tires have combined. 7160 for single wheel operation.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, when we get close I am going to take a coach down to the scalehouse and see what leeway we will have. The one at I-5, mp 141, north bound, has a level pad and just enough room to get a wheel off to the side. They leave the scale heads turned so they are visible, when they are closed.
RideSlow2004 is offline   Reply With Quote