Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2005, 07:47 PM   #1
Winnebago Camper

Wondering what tire pressure do you run on your 36' Journey. I was reading the post about using a tru-center to improve handling. Was thinking about getting one until I lowered my tire pressure. Sure did help the tracking on the freeway. Seems I'm always having to correct the direction. Just returned from Gaffney Freightliner to get an alignment. Toe was in to much. It helped a bunch. I was running 90psi in front and 95psi in rear. Gaffney dropped the rear to 85. Didn't know it until I returned. I raised it back and it got bad again. Checked the tire book and 85 was ok for the weight. Dropped it back and ok again. I thinking about dropping the front down to 80 to improve the hard hits on road bumps. I'm in Colorado now and have been checking tire temps with no increases due to the lower pressure. Just wondering what other owners of 36' Journey's have done to improve handling and what tire pressure you run?

2004 Journey 36G
gwedgewo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:47 PM   #2
Winnebago Camper

Wondering what tire pressure do you run on your 36' Journey. I was reading the post about using a tru-center to improve handling. Was thinking about getting one until I lowered my tire pressure. Sure did help the tracking on the freeway. Seems I'm always having to correct the direction. Just returned from Gaffney Freightliner to get an alignment. Toe was in to much. It helped a bunch. I was running 90psi in front and 95psi in rear. Gaffney dropped the rear to 85. Didn't know it until I returned. I raised it back and it got bad again. Checked the tire book and 85 was ok for the weight. Dropped it back and ok again. I thinking about dropping the front down to 80 to improve the hard hits on road bumps. I'm in Colorado now and have been checking tire temps with no increases due to the lower pressure. Just wondering what other owners of 36' Journey's have done to improve handling and what tire pressure you run?

2004 Journey 36G
Old 06-15-2005, 06:08 AM   #3
Winnebago Master

I also had better handling with tire pressure adjustments....I'm running 90 in the fronts and 85 rear...Goodyear G670's. The addition of the Tru Center also has helped, although my primary issue was cross-wind effect which I've not had opportunity to test.

I have yet to get an alignment and plan to do that soon.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:37 AM   #4
Winnie-Wise

Gary,

Our 2002 36G came equipped with 235/80/R22.5 tires which I had to run at the maximum of 100psi front and rear to support the weight of the motorhome. Winnebago changed their tire size mid-2003 so your 2004 probably has 255/80/R22.5 tires so it's good to hear that the reduced pressure you can run has improved the handling. I'd just throw a word of caution to those with the 235 tires to make sure they weigh their coach and run the appropriate pressure for their size tires.

Having run the 235's at maximum inflation for a couple years, this past Spring, I made the change to the Goodyear G670's in a 275/70R22.5 size which is the same diameter as the origonal 235's. The 275's can be run up to 125 PSI and support nearly 50% more weight then the 235's I had. Now I can reduce the pressure somewhat and have plenty of carrying capacity. It was an expensive upgrade, but worth it to me for the safety and improved handling that resulted.

Currently I'm running 95 front and rear which I know is a bit on the high side and may cut down to 90 F&R. So far, I've been extremely pleased with the handling.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Winnebago Owner

replaced my 235's XRV's with 275's XZA-1's...run 100# all the way around...handles great and I have plenty of surplus capacity. no wear showing after 7500 miles. Could run them softer but why mess with good handling....RKL
RKL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 06:18 AM   #6
Winnie-Wise

Gary: I used ( 3tsrv.com ) out of Lake Havasu AZ to install a handling kit on my 34ft coach. A friend with your 36ft did the same. Big improvement in handling. They install or do it yourself. Great people 800-223-1779. They are also an authorized warranty center for all of your other Winnebago fix'ems.. Tell'em Gary L. says Hi.
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:42 PM   #7
Winnebago Camper

Thanks for all the reply's. Just returned from vacation. Had a great trip. 5100 miles with no problems. Saw alot of winnebago's everywhere we went.
The alignment and lower tire pressure improved the handling, but if I drove across kansas very often with the cross winds...I'd have to install a tru-steer.
One more question, How do you deal with rough roads? I really thought the suspension and air ride systems would make for a very smooth ride. I was wrong. When crossing some of the roads in Missouri, I was worried the overhead TV was coming down. We had no problems but with this much vibration from rough roads it's only a matter of time things will shake loose. Are the shocks adjustable? Am I the only one that feels every bump in the road? Any help is appreciated.

2004 Journey 36G
Old 06-29-2005, 07:33 AM   #8
Winnebago Master

We just returned from a brief trip to Richmond, VA and drove 295 which is some of the roughest road we've traveled since getting this coach...the road is littered with pot holes and broken concrete. While the ride was somewhat rough, we did not experience what you describe (perhaps the roads you traveled are much worse). Our rig has Bilstein shocks which are known to give a rougher ride. Our ride has improved since adding the G670's.

Other than tires and shocks, not sure what your options are.
'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote