Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 12-08-2018, 10:21 PM   #21
Let's kill some bugs!

So digging deeper into the rusted motor problem, I found that near the rear motor, when the slide is open, the rubber squeegee rain deflector that is supposed to keep rain out on the side of the slide isn't touching the slide up high where the motor is located. There's about a 1/8" gap between the rubber's edge and the slide. It should be touching to keep water out. This likely contributed to the failure.

On the front side of the slide the rubber looks good to keep rain away from the front slide motor. The rubber squeegee rubber deflector is touching the slide really good.

I also found the motor for a lot less money today on eBay, and best of all it's got a plastic weatherproofing over the motor, EXACTLY where my motor showed rust. Now I'm wondering what the dealer installed in my RV, the new style with weatherproofing, or the old style without. You can see the difference below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old motor.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	170668   Click image for larger version

Name:	New style slide motor.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	170669  

John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 04:52 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner

I was thinking that with the location of the motors, the slide seals better be in good shape. Do you have a slide awning?
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:38 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise

You will need to get out a ladde and see what was installed. I would liik into how to adjust the seal, should be touching. If not touching you might end up getting water/cold air/hot air inside the rig, depending on the season.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:45 AM   #24
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
I was thinking that with the location of the motors, the slide seals better be in good shape. Do you have a slide awning?
Yes, the slide awning is in good shape, it's brand new using the stock Winnebago design. I will be asking Winnebago for advice how to fix the seal. I'm thinking there are different width seals available to replace this one to make contact like usual. As for cold air coming in, that is not an issue because the inner seal keeps that sealed when fully extended. It's the rain water getting to the motor that I'm concerned about the most, but that's only a threat when the slide it out, it appears.
Old 12-09-2018, 09:17 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise

Look at some You Tube videos also. I believe it is a DIY job.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:43 PM   #26
2016 Suncruiser 37F

Call Winnebago Tech Line, they may be able to answer questions, and it should be free OR if you have an extended warranty, this may be time to use it?
Old 12-10-2018, 10:47 PM   #27
Winnebago Master

It's pretty apparent that moisture got to the motor. I'd definitely begin by checking all the seals around the top of the slide and near the motor.

I have both the Schwintek and Power Gear Slimrack with the Schwintek being my bedroom slide and the other the kitchen/living room slide. Both use the same Schwintek controllers.

To my knowledge that "Squeegee" as you called it, is not a rain deflector. It is just that, a "Squeegee" but known as a wiper seal where as it removes the moisture when bringing the slide in. The actual seal for the slide is on the inside frame when the slide is out, and the outside frame when the slide is in. I guess in practicality it does deflect the rain though.

With the slide in you can run your fingers along the inside of the frame and feel the seal. With the slide out there should be no gap between the seal and the wall. Same applies to the outside frame seal when it is in.

Many will take the time to clean the seals on the side of the slide with 303 Protectant and many disregard the seal on the top of the slide under the awning because it is so hard to get to. It's difficult to check. Some have made mops to clean and lubricate it. Or use the awning rod and a cloth with 303.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:54 PM   #28
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
To my knowledge that "Squeegee" as you called it, is not a rain deflector. It is just that, a "Squeegee" but known as a wiper seal where as it removes the moisture when bringing the slide in. The actual seal for the slide is on the inside frame when the slide is out, and the outside frame when the slide is in. I guess in practicality it does deflect the rain though.
Yeah, when the slide is OUT, that squeegee is the only shield to keep water off the motor during rain, assuming you don't have the new silicon rubber sockets that fit over each motor, as shown in my previous post.

I think the mis-installation of the squeegee is what caused my failure. The squeegee doesn't quite touch the slide when the slide is fully extended out, there's a gap. The rubber flap is about 1/8" away from the side of the slide, so it's feasible that rain with wind could blow into this area and splash onto the motor during a hard storm. This discovery makes it a good idea to pull in the slides during heavy raid so the TRAVEL SEAL can keep water out of the motors.

Winnebago advertises doing a rain test on every coach before it ships to the dealer. If this rain test includes having the slide out, this may have occurred from water sprays during this test, depending on how Winnebago simulates rain. If the water is sprayed horizontally at the RV, simulating rain with wind, it's possible this test was the beginning of the rust to set in over the next 18mos, along with other rain with wind during the following months in Pennsylvania for the first owner.

Since I live in California I'm not too worried, as we don't get that much rain in the Southwest. However, I would like to acquire some of the silicon socks that would protect my motors, like the replacement motors have. I inspected my NEW replacement motor and discovered it had the silicon protective sock installed, which is good. No telling what condition the other motor is on the livingroom slide, but the squeegee on that side is good, no gaps, so hopefully it's in better shape. I really need buy a small narrow endoscope to see the other 3 motors better in the dark, without having to tear it all apart, just to inspect it.

So I emailed Lippert and requested to buy 3 of the silicon socks. They refused to sell them to me. I find that totally unacceptable. They know they have a rust problem with Winnebago, and likely other RV manufacturers too. That's EXACTLY why they came out with the silicon sock fix. It's a $5 part, and they refuse to sell me the part to protect my motors. They want me to pay $300/ea for new motors, just to get the sock! Can you believe such lack of attention to quality and customer satisfaction?

I'll be writing to Winnebago about this soon. Maybe their muscle can help correct this absurd position that Lippert has taken.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:38 PM   #29
Winnebago Master

Well, that bites! One of my "superpowers" is finding uses for things made for something else (my wife hates all the "just in case" stuff I save). In looking at your photo of the motors, I can't tell what their diameter is, but my first thought was maybe there is a plastic food or beverage container that fit reasonably well and secured with a tie wrap. Perhaps a heavy duty sandwich bag might work too.
Old 12-17-2018, 11:56 PM   #30
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
Well, that bites! One of my "superpowers" is finding uses for things made for something else (my wife hates all the "just in case" stuff I save). In looking at your photo of the motors, I can't tell what their diameter is, but my first thought was maybe there is a plastic food or beverage container that fit reasonably well and secured with a tie wrap. Perhaps a heavy duty sandwich bag might work too.
Yeah, I thought about using a simple plastic bag but that's too thin. It's not worth messing with here in California (since rain is less of a threat) unless I can be sure it's a long term solution. I had considered designing my own cover using a 3D printer, but I don't think they have mastered silicon pliable materials for 3D printers yet, but I may be wrong. But even a hard plastic cover that's accurately designed, with a cable race in the design mighty work, maybe even accurate enough for a snug fit requiring no nylon tie-wrap to hold it on. Eventually I'll find a solution, at which time I'll tear the motors out and try it. My first avenue is to write to Winnebago explaining the the problem and see what they say.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:42 PM   #31
Winnebago Camper

Looking at the picture of the new motor assembly made me think they'd used one of these on the end.

Picture Posting Guide
charge-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #32
Let's kill some bugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charge-it View Post
Looking at the picture of the new motor assembly made me think they'd used one of these on the end.
Thanks for the idea, but due to the tight quarters where the motors are mounted, the sock cover needs to fit very snug so it doesn't rub the slide as it goes in and out. The ID of the cover ideally needs to be 1 11/16". That sports bottle is 3" in diameter, way too big. Could it be crunched up and overlapped? Maybe, but that's not how I prefer solving this. I'm really hoping to score on appropriate covers by being a squeaky and annoying wheel. It's totally ridiculous that Lippert won't sell these covers to their customers.

I just ordered a $35 endoscope to get clear photos of my other 3 motors. This tool junky has always wanted an endoscope, and now I have a compelling reason to buy one. Hah!

Tags
slide