Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #15
Vista 32YE owner, SoCal
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 61
Blueridge, the motor was on the left side living-room slide on a 32YE. It was the rear motor that was dead. Keep in mind I had no idea why this slide motor was dead, so the diagnosis was key. The last thing I would have guessed at failing would be the motor, being so new, a 2018. I assumed it was the controller electronics that failed, but my guess was wrong. Giant fixed it OK, but the management of the accounting is very suspect. This was my first experience with Giant RV in Downey, I won't be going back. I just can't trust them. There are other authorized Winnebago repair locations.

I found the motor available in Ebay for $472. Giant said it was $600 for their profit obviously, but they offered to discount it to $550. I'm sure they bought it from a distributor for less than $472. However Winnebago took care of it in the end.

It's still a mystery to me how to access this motor. The slide was closed, and wouldn't open, so how to you gain access to the motor? Even with the slide out I still can't see the motor.

I built my first car motor at 15yrs old ('61 Corvair), and I'm an fairly astute with electrical circuitry (I sell industrial computers), so I have no problem replacing something like this myself. However, there's a secret to accessing this motor that I need to learn about. There's no room to access the motor from the inside when the slide is in, it's block by the TV wall. Maybe it's simply removing the exterior fascia trim, as stated at the end of


UPDATE:
I found another video from Lippert on accessing Winnebago slide motors from the outside. Although my rack mechanism isn't the same as shown in this video, I'm confident that accessing it is likely identical, since the slide trim is Winnebago's design.

__________________
2018 Vista 32YE
Phantom 4P, RZR900, Haibike Xduro 6.0
S&W Shield
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 04:24 PM   #16
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 159
This is a new RV (2018?) but you bought it second party?
There may be some hidden things going on that might have caused the premature failure. Keep in mind that this is purely a theory with no evidence except what I know can happen. There are going to be lots of things like cars, trucks and motorhomes which are damaged in some of the massive flooding we have had all across the country. These may be called "total" by insurance but still sold, repaired and resold as "new" . Perhaps do a really careful look at the end which might have gone in the water and this motor space especially. Is it possible that the motor went bad/rusted after being flooded?
Maybe a check of the VIN to see what might turn up?
I bought my new-to me from a broker I know and he has to be really careful to avoid the lemons. Others are not so picky!
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #17
Vista 32YE owner, SoCal
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morich View Post
This is a new RV (2018?) but you bought it second party?
There may be some hidden things going on that might have caused the premature failure. Keep in mind that this is purely a theory with no evidence except what I know can happen. There are going to be lots of things like cars, trucks and motorhomes which are damaged in some of the massive flooding we have had all across the country. These may be called "total" by insurance but still sold, repaired and resold as "new" . Perhaps do a really careful look at the end which might have gone in the water and this motor space especially. Is it possible that the motor went bad/rusted after being flooded?
Maybe a check of the VIN to see what might turn up?
I bought my new-to me from a broker I know and he has to be really careful to avoid the lemons. Others are not so picky!
Thanks for the concern but it's not relevant. The RV looks like new and smells like new, but it's second hand. With the motor sitting 10' high in the wall there would be other obvious signs of flooding, it certainly would not smell new. A carfax report was done before even considering the purchase, had nothing reported. I do wonder how it got wet, which is something I intend to investigate now that I have the RV at home. Might be a potential design flaw with inadequate water proofing. Maybe the milder climate here in California will be less risk for the same failure, anyway that's what I'm hoping.
__________________
2018 Vista 32YE
Phantom 4P, RZR900, Haibike Xduro 6.0
S&W Shield
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 10:05 PM   #18
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Locke View Post
Thanks for the concern but it's not relevant. The RV looks like new and smells like new, but it's second hand. With the motor sitting 10' high in the wall there would be other obvious signs of flooding, it certainly would not smell new. A carfax report was done before even considering the purchase, had nothing reported. I do wonder how it got wet, which is something I intend to investigate now that I have the RV at home. Might be a potential design flaw with inadequate water proofing. Maybe the milder climate here in California will be less risk for the same failure, anyway that's what I'm hoping.
Good deal, glad to be wrong! There are so many things out there to catch, I hate to think it happens when we buy RV's to try to have fun. Ten feet high would rule out my theory for sure! Maybe it just was your turn? Sometimes it just seems that we get it for no reason. Enjoy.
Morich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:27 AM   #19
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 109
My 2018 32YE has a different slide system than the one in the video. I believe it is called a slim rack. During our walk through, the dealership told me that whenever someone comes in with a problem in a Schwintek system they just replace it with the new slim rack system because they are much more reliable. Unless, of course, your name is John. :-)

I wonder if your inability to see the motor is because it is in a different location on the slim rack system. The Schwintek video does seem to call out a chicken and egg problem with replacement when the motor fails with the slide in.
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:44 PM   #20
Vista 32YE owner, SoCal
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
My 2018 32YE has a different slide system than the one in the video. I believe it is called a slim rack. During our walk through, the dealership told me that whenever someone comes in with a problem in a Schwintek system they just replace it with the new slim rack system because they are much more reliable. Unless, of course, your name is John. :-)

I wonder if your inability to see the motor is because it is in a different location on the slim rack system. The Schwintek video does seem to call out a chicken and egg problem with replacement when the motor fails with the slide in.
Mine is a slimrack system fortunately, however when looking at the design in the Lippert website it appears the motors are located in the same place, up high and in the wall. The rack in the video is the older style, since been replaced with slimrack.

Interesting to note with Winnebago, while I was at Giant RV I went through their indoor showroom to kill some time. One of the Winnebago Forza coaches I saw used the same slim rack system, however it wasn't strong enough. The geared rack was bent, or bowed pretty bad. It appears the slide out compartment was way too heavy for the slim rack system. Later I wanted to show my wife, but they had rolled the slide in so it the rack couldn't be seen.

Other Winnebago DP rigs on the showroom floor used a massive hydraulic ram system that is located under the slide. These DP rigs are way more than I can afford, but are very nice inside. However I would caution anyone buying one to make sure it doesn't use the slim rack system, as it's better suited for lighter weight slides. If you can afford a Forza, make sure it's got the hydraulic slide system.
__________________
2018 Vista 32YE
Phantom 4P, RZR900, Haibike Xduro 6.0
S&W Shield
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:21 PM   #21
Vista 32YE owner, SoCal
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 61
So digging deeper into the rusted motor problem, I found that near the rear motor, when the slide is open, the rubber squeegee rain deflector that is supposed to keep rain out on the side of the slide isn't touching the slide up high where the motor is located. There's about a 1/8" gap between the rubber's edge and the slide. It should be touching to keep water out. This likely contributed to the failure.

On the front side of the slide the rubber looks good to keep rain away from the front slide motor. The rubber squeegee rubber deflector is touching the slide really good.

I also found the motor for a lot less money today on eBay, and best of all it's got a plastic weatherproofing over the motor, EXACTLY where my motor showed rust. Now I'm wondering what the dealer installed in my RV, the new style with weatherproofing, or the old style without. You can see the difference below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Old motor.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	170668   Click image for larger version

Name:	New style slide motor.jpg
Views:	0
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	170669  

__________________
2018 Vista 32YE
Phantom 4P, RZR900, Haibike Xduro 6.0
S&W Shield
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 05:52 AM   #22
Winnebago Owner
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 109
I was thinking that with the location of the motors, the slide seals better be in good shape. Do you have a slide awning?
blueridge-fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:38 AM   #23
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 316
You will need to get out a ladde and see what was installed. I would liik into how to adjust the seal, should be touching. If not touching you might end up getting water/cold air/hot air inside the rig, depending on the season.
__________________
Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #24
Vista 32YE owner, SoCal
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueridge-fl View Post
I was thinking that with the location of the motors, the slide seals better be in good shape. Do you have a slide awning?
Yes, the slide awning is in good shape, it's brand new using the stock Winnebago design. I will be asking Winnebago for advice how to fix the seal. I'm thinking there are different width seals available to replace this one to make contact like usual. As for cold air coming in, that is not an issue because the inner seal keeps that sealed when fully extended. It's the rain water getting to the motor that I'm concerned about the most, but that's only a threat when the slide it out, it appears.
__________________
2018 Vista 32YE
Phantom 4P, RZR900, Haibike Xduro 6.0
S&W Shield
John Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #25
Winnie-Wise
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 316
Look at some You Tube videos also. I believe it is a DIY job.
__________________
Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 02:43 PM   #26
2016 Suncruiser 37F
 
TBWard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Mount Dora, Florida
Posts: 26
Call Winnebago Tech Line, they may be able to answer questions, and it should be free OR if you have an extended warranty, this may be time to use it?
__________________
Terry W.
TBWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:47 PM   #27
Winnebago Master
 
Wayne M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 806
It's pretty apparent that moisture got to the motor. I'd definitely begin by checking all the seals around the top of the slide and near the motor.

I have both the Schwintek and Power Gear Slimrack with the Schwintek being my bedroom slide and the other the kitchen/living room slide. Both use the same Schwintek controllers.

To my knowledge that "Squeegee" as you called it, is not a rain deflector. It is just that, a "Squeegee" but known as a wiper seal where as it removes the moisture when bringing the slide in. The actual seal for the slide is on the inside frame when the slide is out, and the outside frame when the slide is in. I guess in practicality it does deflect the rain though.

With the slide in you can run your fingers along the inside of the frame and feel the seal. With the slide out there should be no gap between the seal and the wall. Same applies to the outside frame seal when it is in.

Many will take the time to clean the seals on the side of the slide with 303 Protectant and many disregard the seal on the top of the slide under the awning because it is so hard to get to. It's difficult to check. Some have made mops to clean and lubricate it. Or use the awning rod and a cloth with 303.
__________________
Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2015 Winnebago Tour 42QD 2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
(RVM-14) It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
slide


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 32YE Owner John Locke Welcome Mat 1 11-05-2018 06:30 PM
2018 Vista/Sunstar 32YE TBWard Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 17 10-30-2018 03:33 PM
Seat covers for Sunstar 32YE jsands72 Tech | Toys and Gear 0 05-12-2018 04:37 PM
2018 Vista 32YE fridge problem tucker Heating, Cooling and Appliances 1 12-20-2017 06:43 AM
Livingroom Slide Adjustment 02 Journey GG1 Winnebago Class A Motorhomes 12 03-17-2010 09:16 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Winnebago Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.