Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Winnebago Owners Online Community > WINNEBAGO FLEET | MOTORHOMES and TRAILERS > Winnebago Class A Motorhomes
Click Here to Login
Register FilesRegistry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-20-2018, 06:02 AM   #1
Winnebago Camper

27N Hood Latch - is there a new fix

While checking engine oil prior to this weekend trip one of the hood latches fell off. After scearching for a fix it looks like reglue or bolts are options for a repair. Is there any new / current solutions or thoughts out there.

Winnebaggo Vista 27N
Darryl
MIDMONDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:19 AM   #2
Winnebago Master

You were lucky that it did not fall off while traveling. My passenger side one fell off while traveling and I was able to pull over, walk back along the road and find it. Was a little bent up but I was able to straighten it and reuse it.

On mine the black epoxy (I assume that's what it was) that Winnebago used at the factory that was remaining on the cap that was in the slots was soft and breaking up. The flat part was OK but perfectly smooth. Not sure from the appearance that the cap to back of bracket makes much of a bond perhaps only what comes thru the slots is all that is actually holding it on.

I used my Dremel to remove all the soft OEM material and rough up the remaining material, then I used 2 black head machine screws with nylock nuts and original formula JB Weld epoxy to re-mount it. The machine screws were mainly to hold the bracket securely in place to the cap without any movement for the 4-6 hours that the two pieces being JB Welded together have to be held together solidly to get the best adhesion with JB Weld. Also so that if the JB Weld fails someday it can't fall off.

The other side that is still just held on with the OEM Winnebago epoxy now has a nylon strap tied between it and the F53 front structure so if (when?) it falls off it won't be lost.
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote