Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
Winnebago Watcher

2020 Adventurer Question on Nav system

Hi Folks,

We have ordered our new 2020 Adventurer and are waiting for delivery sometime in the spring. We can't wait!

As a tech engineer, I started to ask questions I can't get answers to, even from Winnebago directly.

Does anyone know if the navigation unit for the adventurer comes with an RV specific nav system, so the routing is done via RV safe routes?

Secondly, does the head unit have Apple Car Play built in?

Thank you, Mick
mkconners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you know what system comes in the 2020 model?

Previous model years had Xite systems from River Park. They all had Rand McNally GPS systems with RV specific features. They do not have any Apple or Android App features.

They have Sirius/XM radio, Bluetooth calling and Bluetooth audio.

http://www.winnebagoind.com/resource...atures_QSG.pdf

We like ours some folks hate them. Rand McNally has a bit of a learning curve.

River Park has been selling these systems into all manner of RVs. Even into top of the line $800k RVs.

The system runs on a small computer they call a Core Unit - in systems with the 10” monitor (past Adventurers) the Core Unit is mounted separately from the monitor. You’d expect it to run on Linux or even Android, but it runs on Windows Embedded, like an ATM. Every once and a while, when booting you’ll see some old style Win dialog boxes pop up.
Old 12-04-2019, 02:36 PM   #3
Winnebago Watcher

Hello Creativepart,

After contacting Winnebago and getting some answers, I find out it is an ASA XRV10. In the manual, it appears there is no navigation system built in, bummer. However, it does appear to connect to our iPhone using HDM/MHL using the required adapter. Then we could download the correct app and mirror it over to the head unit, which would be fine. My wife could control the navigation of the unit while I steer us down the road.

This unit also has all the bluetooth pieces, which is nice. Having the right RV navigation component is critical. We hate to end up on a road where the 36' RV won't go.

Thanks again!
mkconners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:45 PM   #4
Site Team

Good to know. The Xite System was expense and as I said some really don’t like it. Lots of complaints on the Newmar forum on iRV2 Forums. They installed the Xite with a 6” monitor on $400,000 motorhomes. And users complained a lot.
Old 12-05-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
Site Team

Ours has worked well, but they mounted the core unit in the upper cabinets instead of the dash, and traveling in 95 degree weather fried the unit. It was replaced under warranty and we added a fan and extra insulation to the cabinet to keep it from overheating again. We love the large iPad size monitor and free map upgrades.
macnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 10:38 AM   #6
Winnebago Owner

I like the Xite when it works...which isn't often. So I use a Garmin with a 7" screen now. No problems with that one.
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 11:30 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I like the Xite when it works...which isn't often. So I use a Garmin with a 7" screen now. No problems with that one.
What's wrong with your Xite? Have you updated the software/maps with the Rand McNally Dock?
Old 12-17-2019, 12:21 PM   #8
Winnebago Owner

Creativepart,

I have updated the software and Maps. Most often the navigation freezes the screen and nothing I can do while I'm driving to solve it. So I've found that since I can't trust it, I can't use it. Also, the cameras are unpredictable. We just came off a 9,000 mi. trip and had no backup or side cameras the entire trip. I've had it back to the dealer three times and it works for a few miles and then quits again. I can't figure out how to get to the back of the dash to see for myself. I think there is a bad connector causing the problem. I have two monitors and they are anchored from the rear so I can't pull them off from the front.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #9
Site Team

I'm not sure, but on my Adventurer the core unit is in the cabinet above the passenger side of the dashboard. I just checked your wiring diagram and I "think" yours is located low on the dash in the middle - it's where you put DVDs and the SD card etc.

WARNING! I'm not positive about this. I just think that might be the core unit. It looks like mine, but I don't have a DVD slot in mine.

You can unscrew 4-screws slide it out with about 2.7 million wires behind it and there is a small junction box floating in there behind the core unit that contains all of your camera connections.

Sometimes those get loose - they are friction fit - and sometimes the box goes bad from too much heat - and sometimes the larger connector from that junction box to the core unit wiggles loose.

Before I fixed my heat issue with insulation the camera's would work intermittently when it was really hot up there. So, heat can be a reason for this intermittent problem.

NO GUARANTEES! These are just guesses based on my experience with my different unit.

Always good to call River Park Electronics with problems/questions about the Xite system. Especially about the freezes - that's not normal. They can fix this. (800) 442-7717

There's a photo below showing what I think is your system's Core Unit. Maybe.

Also, the most important upgrade to the system came in October, 2018. So if you haven't updated software/maps since before that date and seen it actually load new software then I'd try again and or call River Park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coreunit-meridian.png
Views:	119
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	172566  
Old 12-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
Site Team

River Park is pretty responsive. I contacted them and they sent me a new Core Unit. I had to give them my CC and they sent the new one and gave me an RMA number. After I returned the original core unit they refunded the full price of the replacement. I removed the old unit and installed the new one myself. It's very easy except there are so many wires to keep track of where they all plug in.

I've heard with other people they felt a new SD card with all new firmware would be the best solution.

But call them.

Heads up - the camera's and camera junction box is probably not a part of the Xite system. If the junction box is bad it's not expensive and could easily be replaced.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:45 PM   #11
Site Team

Here's a link to the wiring diagram PDF. I just saw this. Open the PDF scroll down to the last page. You'll find the compete wiring behind that core unit on your rig - including detail about the camera junction box and hook up.

https://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram...ire_183746.pdf
Old 12-23-2019, 02:39 PM   #12
Winnebago Owner

Thanks for all the great info and pdf's! After the holidays I'll try pulling the DVD player and hopefully the video switch is close by. I'm sure it's back there because when I have had it worked on, the tech always works behind the dash. I know this because they always leave the removable panel above the gauge cluster loose and askew.

I assume you pulled the pdf from the WBGO site? I can never find anything when I go to their site. I'm sure there's something I'm not doing correctly. But there is a lot of good info that I had been wondering about. Thanks again!

As for the updates; I did this in June/July of this year. But I believe I contacted Rand McNally directly. I don't recall it being River Park, but possibly. I really can't see a difference though. It's visually the same and still freezes. Sounds like I need to try again and contact R-P directly.

Merry Christmas

Fred
Old 12-23-2019, 03:39 PM   #13
Site Team

Go to www.winnebagoind.com
Click on Owner Resources tag
Click on "Service"
Scroll down -- viola, links to all your info.

NOTE: The Parts catalog is 3D and interactive. It ONLY works on MS Internet Explorer and you must download and install a special add-on. But when you do it's well worth the trouble. Only the Parts catalog has this requirement.

The updates do come from the Rand McNally Dock program. You insert the SD card in your computer/reader, load the "Dock" program. Register your system within the Dock. You'll see "updates" and "map updates" as options. Do, one, then the other. to your SD card and then put it back in your RV.
Old 04-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #14
Winnebago Owner

With all the free time we have had lately I finally was able to tackle this again. I pulled the DVD unit from below the console and found the wiring overwhelmingly massive. But, it didn't take long to find the problem. I ended up removing the lower console because of a plug that had come off the unit. With that removed I was able to check all the plug connectors to ensure they were good. It didn't take long while moving the wires around that the rear monitor started flashing on and off. I figured out which connector caused the issue. The connection was tight but moving the wire bundle would create a disconnect. I ended up taping a splint on the connector to keep it from bending and that seemed to work. I checked the turn signals and the side cameras came on again too.

As for the plug that was disconnected from the back of the unit, I suspect that may be the issue with the navigation. There was so much tension on the wiring that it probably was creating a bad connection until it ultimately came unplugged. I removed some of the tape from the bundles to take some of the tension off. Hopefully that solves it.

I did find that I have the latest navigation updates. So I'll see how this all goes when we get back on the road in a few months (hopefully).

Thanks again for the help and support!

Fred
Old 04-05-2020, 01:34 PM   #15
Winnebago Owner

creativepart,

Thanks for the WBGO site guidance. I was just on and was able to find the pdf's.

Fred
Old 04-06-2020, 09:31 AM   #16
Winnebago Camper

Our 2019 Adventurer did not come with a nav system. But that is ok because I would use my garmin 770 even if it did. We use the coach screen for camera to watch our jeep. And it's not bright enough for any other purpose IMHO. And with the bag mount for the garmin I can put it right in front of me or on either side for easy viewing.

One thing we have learned from nav systems is to always follow the camp ground directions into any specific park because nav systems in general do not always bring you in the best way.
eldermike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventurer, vent